Penn combo blanks

Rate this topic

Skunkoff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably a composite with 24 ton graphite. They are designed to make a durable, affordable combo. There is a Penn sub forum with sales reps. I haven't spent any time in there, but you might have better luck finding an answer from one of them.

Thanks.  From reviews I read about the Squadrons, people seemed to have issues with the guides.  Are the guides upgraded on the combos?

So what I'm getting from the comments you referenced, the rods are in fact exclusive to the combos?

If I were to get a Battle III combo, what would it be most similar to for both quality and function?

Or SSVI for that matter?

Edited by Skunkoff

Too vague, doesn't answer the question.  Not all stuff from China is complete crap.  I would just like to know what kind of blank I'm getting if I get a combo.

Penn - Not trying to expose any top secret info here but what's the level of blank, guides, etc. (eg. rod) am I getting with a BTLIII or SSVI combo?  Which of the market rods are they most similar to?  Can PM me if necessary.  I'm in the market but want to know what I'm spending my money on.

Edited by Skunkoff

if you can I would recommend handling the rod you're considering in person. the combo rods vary a lot depending on which combo you get. also the battle 3 combos feature 1 piece guides that seem pretty indestructible, whereas the battle 2 rods had eyelets popping out all the time. I work at a big fishing retailer and the guides have improved drastically and I have yet to see someone break a battle 3 combo rod guide. the SSVI combos have the same guides as the battle 3 combos if I remember correctly

10 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Too vague, doesn't answer the question.  Not all stuff from China is complete crap.  I would just like to know what kind of blank I'm getting if I get a combo.

Penn - Not trying to expose any top secret info here but what's the level of blank, guides, etc. (eg. rod) am I getting with a BTLIII or SSVI combo?  Which of the market rods are they most similar to?  Can PM me if necessary.  I'm in the market but want to know what I'm spending my money on.

I think it’s gonna be hard to pin down exactly what blank your getting. Even if you do, it’s plausible that next year that actual blank makeup, brand, manufacturer could change. Most but not all of these blanks tend to be composites. Which to me are typically tough and very forgiving and durable. As far as guides go, I have had less than premium guides on rods for decades. I can’t remember having any issues. I have nothing against combos but most of the time they seem mismatched to be. Reel is most always too big for the rod.

18 mins ago, redfin said:

I think it’s gonna be hard to pin down exactly what blank your getting. Even if you do, it’s plausible that next year that actual blank makeup, brand, manufacturer could change. Most but not all of these blanks tend to be composites. Which to me are typically tough and very forgiving and durable. As far as guides go, I have had less than premium guides on rods for decades. I can’t remember having any issues. I have nothing against combos but most of the time they seem mismatched to be. Reel is most always too big for the rod.

I totally agree with reel size.  Especially with Penn it always seems the reels are a size or 2 too big for my preference.   I suppose combos aren't the way to go unless someone is just getting into the sport.