Coyotes attack dog in Nahant

Rate this topic

BroadSoundBound

Urban coyotes for probably an array of reasons are much less wary of people. I have hunted plenty of small parcels in zone 9-10 and have seen countless numbers of coyotes from a tree stand. The big woods I now hunt primarily in zone 8 I have seen one in 4 years; and their tracks are everywhere come snow fall. They have no reason to venture into sight of humans when they have thousands of acres to roam.

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

The only encounter my 40 lb Wheaten Terrier had with a coyote looked more like a puppy play date. My Wheaten and my mother in law's Springer Spaniel were off leash running in a Christmas tree farm. My wife looks up and goes "oh another dog", it was a coyote and they played like 3 dogs, friendly chasing and sniffing. Maybe because it was two dogs and one coyote it played friendly but I do worry about dogs and coyotes. My neighborhood must have over a dozen little dogs under 15lbs and plenty of coyotes behind their houses. 

1 hour ago, kuro said:

I saw a man running and screaming one morning while i went out for some early surf fishing. Later i found out a coyote snatch his little yorkie. They never recover the little dog. 

Years ago, camping at Scussett, I heard one of the rangers warning a lady with a little yappie dog about coyotes just popping out of the brush and snatching small dogs. He called her dog a "coyote nugget".

On 2/16/2021 at 4:09 PM, Captain Tuttle said:

My wife found this walking the dog on Sat.   Deer and coyotes living in the same 30 acres of park land. 

IMG_7425.JPG

That might also be the work of domestic dogs (pets).  Coyotes don't leave much let alone a piece that big............