codfish

2021 favorite lure picture, what's yours??

Rate this topic

157 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2021 at 2:44 PM, HJS said:

I’m using Bass Pro Shop Straight Shank Round Bend hooks in sizes 1/0 and 2/0 for the 4” & 5” plastics, my most used plastic sizes.  Also sometimes use smaller 3” plastics when they get fussy or sometimes way bigger plastics like 6” to 8” plastics when I know hogs are in the area.  I put those on 3/0 or bigger hooks, whatever looks right.

Hooks are wrapped starting with heavy thread like upholstery tread or carpet thread.  Add head cement to the hook shank first to hold the thread firmly in place.  Then add a spiral wrap of something like 40# mono.  Then finish it up by brushing on a thin layer of 2-part clear epoxy.  All lures are glued on with brush-on super glue.

60246198704b0_MaineLures-2008.JPG.eed2f545a34e9604ed60faa628bb72c6.JPG

Mucho thanks!  You've been most helpful describing your your process.  Luv the brush on super glue also but it's getting harder to find locally.

On 2/13/2021 at 2:18 AM, bass11 said:

Mucho thanks!  You've been most helpful describing your your process.  Luv the brush on super glue also but it's getting harder to find locally.

Bass11 – Brush on versions of super glue (SG) are indeed difficult to find.  The picture in my post showing Future Glue Brush-on SG is years old.  Years ago it was sold at WalMart which no longer sells that brand.  They now sell Krazy Glue, and Krazy Glue brush-on also works well.  Sometimes WalMart has it in the house paint section or in the craft section, mostly in both sections.  J-B Weld also sells a brush-on version of SG but I haven’t field tested it yet, but I’m sure it works well too.  I think I bought the J-B Weld at Lowes.  There are other brands of brush-on SG too.

When gluing up hooks to lures I try to glue a few the evening before my fishing trip.  True, super glue dries in seconds… but I think they dry even harder overnight.  Lures allowed to dry overnight catch far more fish than those glued up on the river.  I hate it when my 4” paddletail slips down the shank of the hook… or as I call it, “Having my pants pulled down”.

6029410a6aa33_Brush-onsuperglues.JPG.13ddf0ae223adb48c0ebbb272ce915cb.JPG

5 hours ago, HJS said:

Bass11 – Brush on versions of super glue (SG) are indeed difficult to find.   I hate it when my 4” paddletail slips down the shank of the hook… or as I call it, “Having my pants pulled down”.

Gotta luv it.

Heading over to Walmart right now.

9 hours ago, HJS said:

Bass11 – Brush on versions of super glue (SG) are indeed difficult to find.  The picture in my post showing Future Glue Brush-on SG is years old.  Years ago it was sold at WalMart which no longer sells that brand.  They now sell Krazy Glue, and Krazy Glue brush-on also works well.  Sometimes WalMart has it in the house paint section or in the craft section, mostly in both sections.  J-B Weld also sells a brush-on version of SG but I haven’t field tested it yet, but I’m sure it works well too.  I think I bought the J-B Weld at Lowes.  There are other brands of brush-on SG too.

When gluing up hooks to lures I try to glue a few the evening before my fishing trip.  True, super glue dries in seconds… but I think they dry even harder overnight.  Lures allowed to dry overnight catch far more fish than those glued up on the river.  I hate it when my 4” paddletail slips down the shank of the hook… or as I call it, “Having my pants pulled down”.

Zap-A-Gap glue works well too and is easy to find. Can be bought in larger quantity bottles also. Best glue I've found for soft plastics, fly tying, sealing loaded plastic plugs, etc.