PSegnatelli

Freshwater fish for cut bait

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Would you use freshwater fish for saltwater cut bait?

I can catch suckers, bluegill, fallfish, chubs, etc. Just about walkin distance from my house.  I'm thinking fresh fish beats old frozen fish.  Plus I have menhaden oil to stink em up. 

And alot of times money aint there for buyin bait.    I try to catch my baits at the shore, but it's usually small stuff and larger baitfish elude me.  

As far as legality. This is CT regs...

I haven't researched other states yet.  

"Bait: Any animal or vegetable, or their parts, living or dead, used with a hook for the purpose of attracting and catching fish. Any fish legally acquired, except largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, chain pickerel, northern pike, trout, salmon, carp and  goldfish my be used as bait."

Edited by PSegnatelli

4 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Would you use freshwater fish for saltwater cut bait?

I can catch suckers, bluegill, fallfish, chubs, etc. Just about walkin distance from my house.  I'm thinking fresh fish beats old frozen fish.  Plus I have menhaden oil to stink em up. 

And alot of times money aint there for buyin bait.    I try to catch my baits at the shore, but it's usually small stuff and larger baitfish elude me.  

As far as legality. This is CT regs...

I haven't researched other states yet.  

"Bait: Any animal or vegetable, or their parts, living or dead, used with a hook for the purpose of attracting and catching fish. Any fish legally acquired, except largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, chain pickerel, northern pike, trout, salmon, carp and  goldfish my be used as bait."

I kind of did it the other way around.  Many moons ago I fished the Susquehanna River for land locked Stripers.  We used saltwater clam and out caught everyone around us.  These stripers never saw a saltwater clam as they are land locked.   So, I would imagine if it smells good they will go for it. 

5 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I kind of did it the other way around.  Many moons ago I fished the Susquehanna River for land locked Stripers.  We used saltwater clam and out caught everyone around us.  These stripers never saw a saltwater clam as they are land locked.   So, I would imagine if it smells good they will go for it. 

Funny. I use salted clam & squid strips in freshwater on jigs all the time!

I was even thinking of a small piece of sponge soaked in menhaden oil on the hook as well.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used bluegill strips to catch fluke this past year. It kinda works. Freshwater fish meat disintegrates in salt water. They get soft instantly. 
I also chunked bluegill in the surf and caught a little bluefish. I wouldn’t do it again it’s just as easy just to cast net for salt water bait if they’re around or use a minnow trap. 

Edited by BobBass

I have caught cod and haddock on crayfish. I use to trap crayfish at a local pond and thought the ground fish would love a baby lobster imitation. If you are chunking for bass and blues I bet suckers, chubs and perch would work.  

I’ve had good results using pickerel strips for fluke. I tried it a few years ago just out of curiosity and it’s become a trick up my sleeve early in the season when I can’t get my hands on snapper blues/spot/mullet. As slimy and fishy smelling as they are it’s not really a surprise that they draw attention. The meat actually looks pretty good... 

I’m strictly catch and release in freshwater but I’ll break my rule every once in a while if gulp isn’t producing enough. I live on a pond that has a healthy population, so I don’t have to go out of my way to get it.

All right!  I'm not the only kook out there!  

I will try and keep notes this year on what's what.  

Over the winter I scored 2 crawfish traps, look like my minnow trap but have a bigger opening. Maybe, I'll be able to get some bigger fish in there.  

On another note.  I did get some small bluegills last summer and was using them for freshwater cut bait, I salted them for preservation and they firmed up quite nicely.  I used a super saturated brine in hopes of them not turning into fish mummies and it worked. Even kept their slime.    Maybe it'll work for chunks in the SW.  :shrug:   

I need to practice my castnet throwing.   I was getting good but all the throwing in my yard aggravated my shoulders so I stopped.   If I limit myself to a few throws a day like I do with my bow, I should be ok.  But, I forget, think I'm still G2G, and push it too far. Then pay for it. 

On 2/11/2021 at 10:14 PM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Gizzard shad,they have a good,fishy stink.

HH  

Absolutely... they work good as cut bait in both fresh and salt water. 

14 hours ago, J Stokley said:

Absolutely... they work good as cut bait in both fresh and salt water. 

Years ago one June a friend gave me two big American said he caught in freshwater and the gizzard shad that he snagged.

Man just a blue fish go crazy, they were all over that bait till it was all gone.

HH

On 2/10/2021 at 7:47 AM, PSegnatelli said:

Funny. I use salted clam & squid strips in freshwater on jigs all the time!

I was even thinking of a small piece of sponge soaked in menhaden oil on the hook as well.  

I wonder is fish can digest sponge.  If it’s natural sponge maybe.  Dunno

10 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I wonder is fish can digest sponge.  If it’s natural sponge maybe.  Dunno

I'm using cellulose sponge.  

More digestable than soft plastics. 

Not sure if legal... but I am sure you can use killies in a fresh water lake. They would likely handle it well too.

15 mins ago, EricJ said:

Not sure if legal... but I am sure you can use killies in a fresh water lake. They would likely handle it well too.

i always bring my killies home that it trap and convert them to freshwater. I have used them to catch bass, snakehead, bowfin, trout, carp and panfish.

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

I'm using cellulose sponge.  

More digestable than soft plastics. 

Good point.  I’m going to try it.  BTW I’ve used beef liver and caught Blue fish.  It’s very cheap.  $3 or $4 dollars worth last all day and it’s tough