ShilohRon

Flounder Fishing From Shore

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

When I was a kid,  back in the day,  there were flounders everywhere.  Every dock,  every canal,  every bay . . . everywhere.  Today we are told they are very scarce.  No one fishes for them anymore.  So if no one is fishing for them,  how do we know they are not back,  at least to some degree?

Has anyone tried fishing for flounder from shore,  either North Shore or South Shore?
If so,  where did you try and what was the result??

24 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

...ask the commercial netters....14" fish. ....omo.

Wrong fish, he's asking about flounder, not fluke.

I never really stopped fishing for them(in the Spring) I have had varying levels of success, almost always catching enough for a meal. (The limit is 2@12") Almost all the fish are spawned out females so I don't fee'l too guilty. From shore would be a real challenge. I fish from an anchored boat and chum heavily. Fish in the bays and use bank mussels, strip of steamer or quahog lip, and ridiculously priced bloodworms. I fish the south shore, but believe you could find a kamikaze black back in any sheltered waters, mud bottom best..For me, second week of April to second week of May. is ideal. Either shore, it's a tradition that always starts my new season. Good luck!

I do all my winter flounder fishing in the Glouc. Over the past couple years i have been seeing a decline in size and quality in the areas I fish. I usually bring home the days limit with the Wife but havent done that in a outing in a few years.

I give flounder a few shots every spring in an area that use to be decent - awesome 10+ years ago. Haven’t had a good trip in 3 years. I want to say last bang up trip was 7 years ago when it was 50-60 degrees in March. It was cast and reel fishing from land. Tons of fun. 

4 hours ago, BigBen425 said:

I give flounder a few shots every spring in an area that use to be decent - awesome 10+ years ago. Haven’t had a good trip in 3 years. I want to say last bang up trip was 7 years ago when it was 50-60 degrees in March. It was cast and reel fishing from land. Tons of fun. 

What state was this in?

I get into them every now and again.. more often from boat than from shore.  But there's 2 land based locations I can fish for them without it feeling like wasted efforts... Usually early spring time from land, some of my shake the winter off spots early on in the year...

From the boat I'll find them later into the season.. 100% of the time it's an accidental find, never my Intended target.. last spring we got into a school of pork chops, haven't seen meaty fish like that in many years..

When chumming. What scent?

I don't think I've ever caught a winter flounder on purpose, and I know I haven't caught one in close to 20years. 

I bought a couple pretied flounder rigs to copy. I was thinking of switching the hook to a small circle for bait.  Feasible?  

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

I don't think I've ever caught a winter flounder on purpose, and I know I haven't caught one in close to 20years. 

I bought a couple pretied flounder rigs to copy. I was thinking of switching the hook to a small circle for bait.  Feasible?  

I used to catch them on squid jigs by acccident when i bounce the jigs off the floor while retrieving. I never had success with those pretried rigs but a regular hi low works every time. 

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Canned corn for chum. Make sure to put yellow beads above your hook.

Lightly steamed mussels for bait.

Fish over mudflats

Make a few trips a year on the North Shore for Winter Flounder and most often do well. We are fishing from a boat and have had to work at hunting them down at times... Would be much tougher from shore, but not impossible. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, reelfire said:

Canned corn for chum. Make sure to put yellow beads above your hook.

Lightly steamed mussels for bait.

Fish over mudflats

Funny u should say that about mussels.  I've been watching alot of Youtube videos from the UK. And they use cooked mussels alot.   Never would have thought cooked shellfish for bait.  

I've taken a weight on a string to a mussel bed in front of me for chum before and tried to get some raw ones on a hook unsuccessfully.   Maybe I should combine it.  

Eta. The mussel smashin worked awesomely btw. Made for a epic trip my wife and I still talk about. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Funny u should say that about mussels.  I've been watching alot of Youtube videos from the UK. And they use cooked mussels alot.   Never would have thought cooked shellfish for bait.  

I've taken a weight on a string to a mussel bed in front of me for chum before and tried to get some raw ones on a hook unsuccessfully.   Maybe I should combine it.  

Make sure not to cook them all the way just enough to open shells and play with getting them just solid enough to stay on the hook better.