2021 Strategy

Rate this topic

jp

A juvenile tarpon on the fly has been on my targeted list for a few years. The everglades produced this month. One about a foot long the second close to two feet. They go aerial a lot and jump higher than anything else I have caught. Competing with the alligators and casting a fly in the mangroves from shore is a challenge. 

17 mins ago, newcut said:

Oh...and a big fat albie on the fly rod is always nice. 

I left albies off my list because they are a given every year, not a new goal.

With the increase in the crowds in my favorite places, coupled with the 2 hour drive  I could let them slide left to my own devices. 

Unfortunately my kid is rabid for them and pressures me hard to chase them.

I think my new strategy for albies 2021 is to take a vacation timed to their arrival so we can chase them for a week without the travel. The kid being in school will be a deterrent for that plan though. 

On 2/9/2021 at 4:31 PM, shark lobster said:

Funny how alot of guys will only fish the canal when there are so many more places to fish! Back bays inlets rivers estuary s beachs and there are hardly any guys at these spots at all . The canal can be a great place but i can see how the last 5 yrs or so would change your thinking!

Well I keep running into you and the Dan's at these spots so it's getting pretty crowded!

On 2/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, mikez2 said:

I have a 14 year old who's a major gear head and YouTube addict. He talks constantly about lures and tactics I've never even heard of. Especially for largemouth. He caught more bass over 4 lbs last year than I've caught in the last 20 (I'm not much of a bass guy). I'm gonna have to do more bass fishing or he's gonna leave me behind. 

He also has a kayak and wants me to get one. I'm SO NOT into kayaks. Nevertheless, I may break down and pick up an affordable 2nd hand unit. It would be fun to get out on the trout ponds.

The kid is also pressing me to return to the canal this season. Our first attempts last year were epic failures with no fish and me getting into arguments. I hope to resist but he's got his heart set on it.

My 13 YO son is hooked on freshwater bad. He runs the bass boat while I daydream in the back of the boat thinking about saltwater. 

My pursuits change with the wind so things don't get stale (ADD I guess). Every fish fills a void, I can be just as happy catching panfish as stripers. The different months bring different pursuits. Plus, I change styles of fishing to keep it strange too. There are so many styles and variations to fish the same waters, I don't get bored.

Embrace American Privilege

I’m sick with Tuna fever. I can’t get the sight of BFT’s blowing up on bait and airing completely out of the water off my mind..      2020 I changed things up and was able to stay on the tuna action.  I started  the season by fishing south of Long Island, then E of Chatham, then up to Stellwagen and finishing East of Chatham in November.   I trailer from RI,  I was able to limit unproductive trips and keep myself in the action all season..     

2021 I’m going to set my boat up for giants, I’m fine with catching and properly releasing them and keeping any rec fish I hook.  This will allow me to fish the cape before all the rec fish start really tearing it up in September.  
    What has kept me from getting burned out on tuna trips is, on days I can’t get my smaller cc offshore  I will fish for bass or fluke around block island. These trips are all about keeping the rod bent and smiling.  Kind of recharges my batteries for when I’m running 50 miles for 2 under BFT’s at 3:00am 

For 2020, I focused on local fishing in the surf and it largely worked out. It was less stressful and more fun.  At times I’m prone to neurotic car fishing driving from beach to beach and end up tired rather than relaxed. Not a strategy I will return to.

Local surf fishing (mid cape) is fun, a bit of a gamble (often very little, then a great 2 hours). A few lures and my 8’ surf rod, dawn dusk, if that can be called strategy.

This year car top canoe trips in the fresh will feature regularly, now that a 14ft canoe is sitting in the garage.

At some point during lockdown I remembered how much I enjoy fly fishing so that will feature heavily in 2021, blues, bass, pike and a funny fish are my goals for fly.