BNickW

Ahrex swim bait hooks

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Just picked up some Ahrex swim bait hooks. I’ve tied a couple chosen one variants from that dude Gunner on YouTube. Anyone else play with these yet? Lots of potential for some great weedless flies. Was hoping to steal some ideas from you talented folks.

71AC8F73-FDFF-43E4-BA87-78B12FA29862.jpeg

EE5C972F-2D9E-43E0-A0F5-7516116079BE.jpeg

475F6560-D628-4061-BB97-BB5C0C84B168.jpeg

8CC220D4-5661-4DA3-B9A5-155ACC5D2190.jpeg

0561F4F0-E6F1-45A1-9927-FBF781B0B977.jpeg

30BEA31F-EC68-49D9-B82B-6CD806C21503.jpeg

56E62A4A-0648-4D5E-A699-805A5BAB7858.jpeg

Working on a couple - still haven't figured out all the possibilities.

Nice pics, but you might want to have a less cluttered background, so the fly shows more distinctly.

Here's the master tying - 

Also Paul Monaghan ties some, supposedly they both worked w/Ahrex on designing the hook.

I bought some and have a few reservations about the wire diameter and hook gap. The 2/0 has a ton of flex and I personally wouldn't trust on stripers or blues anywhere current, but should make some awesome truly weedless largemouth bugs and dredging fluke flies. 

Mostly worried about the gap on the 4/0 and 6/0. They have one of the largest offset extra wide gap designs I've seen (space between the hook point and plane of the front shank section and eye if I'm confusing my hook terms)

With a 9" sluggo and 8/0 then 6/0 owner beast I've set the hook straight through the eye and deep into the head of a few schoolies before switching back to nose hooked plastics.  With a more flexible hook and even larger offset/ewg I can imagine it being even more of a problem. 

Maybe Gunnar's design with the mono and stopper beads mitigates some of the concern.  I'll probably just bend the hook point down so it's more inline with the eye. 

That a good concern to have. If I start noticing terrible hook placement I may have to adjust. 

and Frazerp, my wife would appreciate less clutter as well. Hahaha.

I've just started using the Ahrex hooks, mainly their straight shank Predator hooks for bass flies. I don't use that many worm hooks in my tying.  The catalog I've been using "The Fly Fishers Shop" carries one, the Texas Predator(PR380), designed for Texas rigging, doesn't seem to have a wide a gape as the swimbait hooks.  Might check out that particular hook.

Thanks I’ll check them out. With the extended body that I’m tying in and a little bulk from the material hopefully will hook em right in the lip. Won’t know till they get fished. The thin wire hook does have a good amount of flex, we'll see how much is too much. Seems similar to what would pair with an albie snax, which have landed decent sized bass for me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/02/2021 at 9:28 AM, BNickW said:

No one has used these yet? No suggestions? Bueler?

Just received a pack of 2/0 and 4/0 10 days ago...Still looking at them...I find them pretty flexible...Thought they would be stiffer...I'll probably try the 2/0 without extension first...Just to see...

Edited by snapper1

On 2/10/2021 at 11:23 AM, Bait Tailer said:

With a 9" sluggo and 8/0 then 6/0 owner beast I've set the hook straight through the eye and deep into the head of a few schoolies before switching back to nose hooked plastics.  With a more flexible hook and even larger offset/ewg I can imagine it being even more of a problem. 

While I don’t use keeled hooks for flies I must concur with your statement regarding concerns for hook placement. In an effort to reduce release mortality I removed the rear treble and rigged all of my plugs with a single up turned inlines. These upturned inlines resulted in a lot of hookups like the ones you describe above especially in smaller schoolie sized fish. This caused me to either switch them all to point down or removal of the rear hook all together. With the current state of striped bass we must all do what we can to reduce mortality 

On 10/02/2021 at 9:28 AM, BNickW said:

No one has used these yet? No suggestions? Bueler?

So yeah...I decided to try one...It's all SF blend...Would be an interesting option for me since I flyfish a lot for walleye over rocky bottom...This one is tied without extension and is 6'' long...My concern with it it would be fouling during casting...I guess a short extension would solve that by supporting the longer fibers away from hook gap...And yes, they are really flexible...Snooks or jacks would just open them up....Or large stripers...So I'll try with extension and see.

Cheers

20210213_122132.jpg

Edited by snapper1

Looks good. Tie some with and without and give em a cast. I can’t wait for some warmer weather!

2 hours ago, snapper1 said:

So yeah...I decided to try one...It's all SF blend...Would be an interesting option for me since I flyfish a lot for walleye over rocky bottom...This one is tied without extension and is 6'' long...My concern with it it would be fouling during casting...I guess a short extension would solve that by supporting the longer fibers away from hook gap...And yes, they are really flexible...Snooks or jacks would just open them up....Or large stripers...So I'll try with extension and see.

Cheers

20210213_122132.jpg

On 2/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, BNickW said:

1487FD3E-E71D-412B-8224-FA874880E744.jpeg

BNickW - noticed you're tying with a standard Peak Rotary Vise. Do the Ahrex hooks sizes 2/0 - 6/0 with the wire diameters indicated fit in your saltwater jaws?

Edited by South Shore Fly

I don't trust those hook at all,waaaay to much flex w/ that design,can't say anything about them on the FB muskie site GB is on,they strike it down fast as you type it,I sent 'em back.

These are a way better hook,super stout.

The XL worm hook is an Owner and is another good one

20200331_101022mtd.jpg

20200331_130859CBG.jpg

20191006_112558shad (1).jpg

20190924_093244hook.jpg

20201218_155627.jpg

20200331_140055pkbasssz.jpg

Edited by slip n slide