yogiiiboy

Yozuri's Top Knock vs. Hydro Pencils

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Both have a 5" 1 oz. model.............Can anyone tell the difference between the two with respect to performance/castability?  Which one, if any, do you feel performs the best regardless of where you're to use it, be it out front or back !

The HP a is great walk the dog spook plug. I'm always confused as why they called it a pencil, when it's a spook style. One of the better spooks at that size, but it does not have a rattle.

The Top knock is similar to the HP, but it has a single ball rattle. So every time you twitch it to the side, it "knocks." Very similar to the Skitter Walk, though it casts better being an ounce instead of around 1/2 oz. They each have a spot, sometimes the rattle helps (I like it shallow spots on slick calm days when nothing is showing, switching the cadences), sometimes is doesn't.  

31 mins ago, huntertom said:

The HP a is great walk the dog spook plug. I'm always confused as why they called it a pencil, when it's a spook style. One of the better spooks at that size, but it does not have a rattle.

The Top knock is similar to the HP, but it has a single ball rattle. So every time you twitch it to the side, it "knocks." Very similar to the Skitter Walk, though it casts better being an ounce instead of around 1/2 oz. They each have a spot, sometimes the rattle helps (I like it shallow spots on slick calm days when nothing is showing, switching the cadences), sometimes is doesn't.  

Aside from the rattle, does any one do something better than the other ??

I have no experience with the Top Knock but the Hydro Pencil has been an big producer for me over the past couple of seasons.

The Hydro Pencil casts well and walks the dog better than many of the spook styled plugs which I’ve experienced.

The Hydro Pencils I have do have a single weight inside and even though the weight doesn’t move around very much when I give it a shake I’m pretty sure it moves enough to give off some level of sound and vibration which a fish may home in on.

I’ll give the Hydro Pencil overall high marks except I feel the factory hooks could be more robust ( big fish can straighten them) and the finish could be more durable.

7861073A-E2CD-4EEA-A944-E03F2ABB2C5A.jpeg.8096b4aee270ee27b005d6d148e67f51.jpeg

Top plug has little use and the bottom one has lots and lots of miles.

Although the finish is damaged, the bottom plug is structurally sound and after I put new hooks on it, it’ll still be one of my first string players.

1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

Aside from the rattle, does any one do something better than the other ??

Not really sure if one does anything better, just different at this point. I will be fishing both of them this spring. The 5" Topknocker is new, so I can't really attest to how it can compare in catching fish yet to the great HP, but I'm optimistic.  

2 hours ago, valentine said:

I have no experience with the Top Knock but the Hydro Pencil has been an big producer for me over the past couple of seasons.

The Hydro Pencil casts well and walks the dog better than many of the spook styled plugs which I’ve experienced.

The Hydro Pencils I have do have a single weight inside and even though the weight doesn’t move around very much when I give it a shake I’m pretty sure it moves enough to give off some level of sound and vibration which a fish may home in on.

I’ll give the Hydro Pencil overall high marks except I feel the factory hooks could be more robust ( big fish can straighten them) and the finish could be more durable.

7861073A-E2CD-4EEA-A944-E03F2ABB2C5A.jpeg.8096b4aee270ee27b005d6d148e67f51.jpeg

Top plug has little use and the bottom one has lots and lots of miles.

Although the finish is damaged, the bottom plug is structurally sound and after I put new hooks on it, it’ll still be one of my first string players.

Have you ever used your Hydros out front?  What kind of distance can you get with them?

1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

Have you ever used your Hydros out front?  What kind of distance can you get with them?

I don’t think I can get more than 150ft or so out of one of these things.

Its no distance champ, that’s for sure.

But, it’s not what I’m reaching for anyway, if the surf is rough and the wind is in my face.

Where the Hydro Pencil excels is in Boulder fields and calm, shallow water where you can crawl it along the surface and just know that some slob striper is watching it, stalking it and getting ready to slurp it down.

It’s a finesse lure for when I take my sweet time working it and making it come to life with twitches  and  darting direction change ups.

54 mins ago, valentine said:

I don’t think I can get more than 150ft or so out of one of these things.

Its no distance champ, that’s for sure.

But, it’s not what I’m reaching for anyway, if the surf is rough and the wind is in my face.

Where the Hydro Pencil excels is in Boulder fields and calm, shallow water where you can crawl it along the surface and just know that some slob striper is watching it, stalking it and getting ready to slurp it down.

It’s a finesse lure for when I take my sweet time working it and making it come to life with twitches  and  darting direction change ups.

I see.....i have different terrain down here in south jersey and am loaded with flat, sandy beaches.  Though I've had luck in the past with spooks when the water becomes calm and flat out front.

3 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

I see.....i have different terrain down here in south jersey and am loaded with flat, sandy beaches.  Though I've had luck in the past with spooks when the water becomes calm and flat out front.

For the kind of water you’re describing, I believe you’d do better with a pencil popper.

You’ll get more distance out of it than you will with a spook, it can still walk the dog really well and will work far better in rough water than a spook will.

Cotton Cordell makes some great pencil poppers which cast far, have great action, are durable and are relatively inexpensive.

If I had to choose between a Cotton Cordell pencil popper and a Yozuri Hydro Pencil it would be the Cotton Cordell pencil, hands down.

I have found that It’s just a more versatile lure.

Edited by valentine

The hydro pencil is one of my go to plugs out front in light to moderate surf. Fish it in the whitewater behind the breakers and it’s deadly. Just have to time your casts well in between waves

3 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

I don’t have either one, but down your way I’d be swimming a spook type plug at the creek mouths in the sods

14 mins ago, MEF said:

The hydro pencil is one of my go to plugs out front in light to moderate surf. Fish it in the whitewater behind the breakers and it’s deadly. Just have to time your casts well in between waves

:th: :th:

12 mins ago, plugchucker said:

I don’t have either one, but down your way I’d be swimming a spook type plug at the creek mouths in the sods

I have done that with smaller type spooks in the back, back creek, Skitter Walk to be exact.........D E A D L Y !!!

Another vote here for the HydroPencil.  It casts pretty well - I would say the farthest of the other spook-type plugs I threw last year around that same size (Rebel, the 4” Topknock, the Sexy Dawg).  Caught fish from shore and also a great fish finder throwing it at structure from the boat.  Can fish it with just the treble on the belly or use an inline on the back if you want.