jimmy1956

The Baltimore Orioles 2021

Rate this topic

245 posts in this topic

One of the worst teams if not the worst team in baseball the last few years. In total rebuilding mode this year for the third year and a row. But hey it’s the team I grew up with so hope always springs eternal. Expectations are that we continue to see the young players continue to develop. Even with the weird season last year some started so show their stuff. Should be a fun year even if we don’t win much. Young pitching prospects are still at least a year out although some may be called up late in the year. Young position player prospects are more defined and some need to show what they can do over a full season. Spring training starts 2/16.

Yes I know I’ll be talking to myself here but they do play in the same division as the yanks and Red Sox so there is that. Baseball is good for the soul!

1 hour ago, jimmy1956 said:

One of the worst teams if not the worst team in baseball the last few years. In total rebuilding mode this year for the third year and a row. But hey it’s the team I grew up with so hope always springs eternal. Expectations are that we continue to see the young players continue to develop. Even with the weird season last year some started so show their stuff. Should be a fun year even if we don’t win much. Young pitching prospects are still at least a year out although some may be called up late in the year. Young position player prospects are more defined and some need to show what they can do over a full season. Spring training starts 2/16.

Yes I know I’ll be talking to myself here but they do play in the same division as the yanks and Red Sox so there is that. Baseball is good for the soul!

I still curse the 69 Mets

1 hour ago, jimmy1956 said:

Trevor Bauer gets paid more than the entire Oriole's roster, same as the Pirates.  I stopped watching a long time ago. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Riverboat33 said:

Trevor Bauer gets paid more than the entire Oriole's roster, same as the Pirates.  I stopped watching a long time ago. 

I hear ya. Haven’t watched too many games myself the last couple of years. But I keep up on em on daily basis. Rebuilding is tough but had to be done understanding that to grow the talent you need thru the minors takes years. No sense in spending a hundred million dollars on one player until you got some of the home grown talent up in the majors. The pitching prospects are the key for now in my opinion.

Edited by jimmy1956

Unless MLB gets their act together, the fan base will continue to the downward spiral. The product sucks. The old farts are the only ones tuning in

The Orioles have agreed to extend the current lease at Camden yards through end of 2023 while working on a long term contract. Guess they are not very anywhere for awhile. 

2 mins ago, jimmy1956 said:

The Orioles have agreed to extend the current lease at Camden yards through end of 2023 while working on a long term contract. Guess they are not very anywhere for awhile. 

When I read this, my thought is 2023 is not exactly a long term deal (?)

10 hours ago, jimmy1956 said:

Thought the Orioles owned the park.

On 2/8/2021 at 5:10 AM, jimmy1956 said:

A little side note as to how I believe the first game of the last season (against the Orioles) jinxed the Red Sox...The sox beat the snot out of the Orioles that night. However, I listened to that game on the radio and heard the Red Sox announcers on WEEI act with complete disrespect towards the Orioles during that game, even joking that at least with the covid shortened season, the O's are guaranteed not to lose a 100 games...As as sox fan, I was actually embarrassed by that display...and with that think called karma coming into play, the Sox lost the other games in that series to the O's...and by the time that week was over, the Sox were behind them in the standings and went on to have an absolutely suck season...I can't recall who was calling that game...but thanks a lot :-(

On 2/8/2021 at 5:10 AM, jimmy1956 said:

Baseball is good for the soul!

Amen to that!!! Nothing beats a ball game on the radio in the backyard with a cold beer and a cigar. 

11 hours ago, Finster said:

Thought the Orioles owned the park.

No. I’m thinking the state owns. The Maryland Stadium Authority runs its.

10 hours ago, Hook I said:

Jimmy ..ever play Little League  ? losing ain't fun 

yep did play little league. Nope losing is never fun but in the current Orioles rebuilding it is not the only priority. Player development is the priority now and the major league teams roster reflects that as well as daily lineups and moves during a game.

8 hours ago, Fishtale7 said:

Amen to that!!! Nothing beats a ball game on the radio in the backyard with a cold beer and a cigar. 

Absolutely. Even fishing with a game on in the background is fun. 

41 mins ago, jimmy1956 said:

No. I’m thinking the state owns. The Maryland Stadium Authority runs its.

yep did play little league. Nope losing is never fun but in the current Orioles rebuilding it is not the only priority. Player development is the priority now and the major league teams roster reflects that as well as daily lineups and moves during a game.

Absolutely. Even fishing with a game on in the background is fun. 

O’s had some great years HOF players but seeing Adam Jones not play there is just not the same . I liked that guys hard play style . But they just don’t know how to spend their money on players 

7 mins ago, Hook I said:

O’s had some great years HOF players but seeing Adam Jones not play there is just not the same . I liked that guys hard play style . But they just don’t know how to spend their money on players 

That is true. The current Chris Davis contract given by the previous GM is proof of that. Still dealing with that mess. Too early to tell if the current GM will do better. So far so good. It was time for Adam Jones to go. Outstanding player in the day but he was being moved out by young players.