Everything you need to know about the ASMFC's incompetence...

Rate this topic

The Fisherman

...you learned at last Tuesday's Striped Bass Board meeting.

Here it is in a nutshell, from Tony Friedrich of the ASGA: 

"At one point, Justin Davis from CT reminded the board that the public is losing faith. His words went unheeded. We would like to point out that there are some great commissioners and that the staff at ASMFC is very good. However, the process is shattered. Certain commissioners spend most of their time horse trading for votes that are important to their respective states rather than managing the resource.

We talk about accountability for states using conservation equivalency. How about accountability for ASMFC?"

Fellow SOLer Charles Witek wrote:

"In terms of priorities--where the time and effort was spent--this may have been the worst fisheries management meeting that I ever sat in on.
Blow through the PID [Public Information Document], which begins a process that could impact how bass are managed for the next 20years. Spend 2 1/2 hours debating how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.
And I've been doing this since the stock collapsed the last time."

Despite ASMFC's perpetual dismal performances, I encourage everyone who feels passionate about striped bass conservation to not give up hope for change. The ASGA is the single best hope for effecting change within and for the ASMFC. Please support the AGSA in any way you can.

Steve Culton

"We fish for pleasure; I for Mine, you for yours."
-- James Leisenring

They spent over six months developing the draft PID so it is hard to say they blew through it. The plan was just to give final approval at this meeting. Plus now the PID goes out for public comments which will result in further changes. Now it is up to the public to do their part by attending the meetings and giving input.