Abu gear change

Rate this topic

I did a gear swap on a 6000 series reel a while ago.  Never really used it much since.

Something doesn't seem right and I wanted to get some opinions. 

After I press the button it is real "geary" until it engages for retrieve. 

It takes about a full handle turn or more to engage.  None of my other abu's feel this way at all.

The gears don't seem to mesh in the beginning and then seem ok.

Could the gear or pinion be the wrong one? What else would cause this ?it was fine before the gear swap. It was a 4.7:1 gear upgrade 

Any ideas?

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher

troll #122  <*)))<

what did you change out ?

pinion and main gear ?

or just pinion ?

also there is a small brass washer that sits under the main gear ( slides on main gear shaft first ). is it there ?

are both drag washers in, small one below main gear and large one inside main gear ?

anti reverse dog positioned correctly?

did you put the screw or e clip back in the main gear shaft ( after handle was put back on ) ?

like handi said does the pinion gear mate with the spool ? 

27 mins ago, CDubbs said:

what did you change out ?

pinion and main gear ?

or just pinion ?

also there is a small brass washer that sits under the main gear ( slides on main gear shaft first ). is it there ?

are both drag washers in, small one below main gear and large one inside main gear ?

anti reverse dog positioned correctly?

did you put the screw or e clip back in the main gear shaft ( after handle was put back on ) ?

like handi said does the pinion gear mate with the spool ? 

I changed the main and pinion to a 4.7 setup

Yes small brass washer

Yes both drag washers

Yes screw on shaft

Pinion a little high then mates

I can get pics tomorrow of pinion.

It acts Normal after 2 cranks

troll #122  <*)))<

7 mins ago, CDubbs said:

strange!

handi probably right, sounds like a pinion /spool mating issue.. is there alot of spool play( left to right), turn the end caps in and tighten drag a little see if that helps

I will

I'm going to strip a 5500 I have down and see it the gear and pinion fit in the 6000. I believe it's 4.3

Not a ton of spool play, drag tight. Just real geary..if that's a word after my upgrade

troll #122  <*)))<

i think there were upgrades for the 

5/6000 and 5/6000 C reels  per Jerry's site... there is a difference, maybe you have wrong set ??? , i could be wrong, but might be worth a call to Jerry...

i'll keep thinking about it though :th:

the 5500 gear and pinion will fit onto shaft etc.  but pinion might not match up with 6000 spool

Edited by CDubbs

11 hours ago, CDubbs said:

i think there were upgrades for the 

5/6000 and 5/6000 C reels  per Jerry's site... there is a difference, maybe you have wrong set ??? , i could be wrong, but might be worth a call to Jerry...

i'll keep thinking about it though :th:

the 5500 gear and pinion will fit onto shaft etc.  but pinion might not match up with 6000 spool

I wish I knew before hand if the gear and pinion on the 5500 would fit my 6000. 

I guess it's not too bad to strip it down 

troll #122  <*)))<

38 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I wish I knew before hand if the gear and pinion on the 5500 would fit my 6000. 

I guess it's not too bad to strip it down 

just take left side plate off each reel, pull out the 6000 spool and put it into the 5500 drive ... and see if the spool and pinion mate/ lock up

What you might try is go to the Abu schematics site and look up the pinion part numbers of both reels using the number on the underside of the reel foot. Often part numbers remain the same on different models when the parts are the same. Might help. Sam

4 hours ago, sandflea5 said:

What you might try is go to the Abu schematics site and look up the pinion part numbers of both reels using the number on the underside of the reel foot. Often part numbers remain the same on different models when the parts are the same. Might help. Sam

I never had much luck with the number on the reel foot

troll #122  <*)))<