Beachfish

Circle Hooks

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Most if not all are likely already doing it anyway but FYI....I have not seen an official confirmation but I believe MD adopted this mandatory hook reg for striper fishing and it goes into effect next week.

DNR-FS-2020-06_CircleHooks_SmallBusinessComplianceGuide_Updated_12-7-2020.pdfDNR-FS-2020-06_CircleHooks_SmallBusinessComplianceGuide_Updated_12-7-2020.pdf

That notice says no offset circle hooks.  I really don't use them but will limit hook options for sure.  My experience is more gut hooks with an offset so I don't use them. Thanks for the heads up Tom.  

Of course, need stripers in the water to catch em, something AI lacks anymore it seems.  

Edited by d-man

40 mins ago, d-man said:

That notice says no offset circle hooks.  I really don't use them but will limit hook options for sure.  My experience is more gut hooks with an offset so I don't use them. Thanks for the heads up Tom.  

Of course, need stripers in the water to catch em, something AI lacks anymore it seems.  

Hey Dennis...long time, no see. Hope you and the family are well. Have not used the offsets for many years as well, and hopefully we are due for some better spring and fall runs than we’ve had in recent years. I’m missing that early am “dark:30 to sunrise bite”! Even though it’s getting harder every year to drag my butt outa bed to do it!

On 2/6/2021 at 7:30 AM, allen sklar said:

Hi Tom and Dennis miss you guys, and of course, the fish!

Steve Coleman first introduced me to big circle hooks.....that was so long ago I can't remember when....

dennishog - Copy.jpg

DSCN2437steveem.jpg

DSCN2718.JPG

ericbiggon.jpg

Glory daze lol.
I believe you took that pic a year or two before you caught the State Record Striper.
Whenever the hell that was.
We  were mostly using #8 demon circles then.
xcept Coleman and Swenny, who  were using the really big Mustads.
Love seeing the olde pics...thanks.

17 hours ago, SteveZ said:

Gamakatsu Big Eye - 9/0

Mustad 39951 - 10/0

Yep, and I would add the Mustad 39948 as well.  Like it better for heads than the 39951.

Maybe Marcus can check to make sure I got the number correct....