Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TatonkaJames

Response finally arrived from Frank Lautenberg

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I sent this last year in the spring.

Dear Mr. TJ, (omitted last name)

Thank you for contacting me about the HR 1286, which protects Atlantic striped bass from commercial harvesting. I understand your concerns about protecting this fish population, as countless New Jerseyans enjoy recreational fishing.

Recreational fishing plays an important role in our State's tourism industry and I support proper conservation methods for Atlantic striped bass and other species. The current regulations for commercial Atlantic striped bass fisherman do provide them with advantages over recreational anglers by allotting them a larger

percentage of the striped bass harvest.

In you letter, you mentioned H.R. 1286, which was introduced in March by Representative Frank Pallone to protect Atlantic striped bass for recreational anglers. This bill would prohibit commercial harvesting of Atlantic striped bass in coastal waters and the exclusive economic zone in the Atlantic Ocean.

Currently, there is no companion bill in the Senate to protect Atlantic striped bass. I will certainly keep your views in mind if similar legislation is introduced in the Senate.

Thanks again for keeping me informed of the views of Atlantic striped bass recreational fisherman. Please be assured that I will support conservation methods to ensure the future of recreational fishing in New Jersey.

Senator Frank Lautenberg

http://lautenberg.senate.gov/

If there was a companion bill to go along with this other one, does that mean they would do something about it ?

Sounds like he's brushing me off?

In other words...your opinion is nice but I am not going to get off my butt and do anything about it and help the cause. This is the weasel of all weasels. redface.gif