jonA

Mini darters?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Jumpin' Minnow is a heckuva top water plug, but it can be modified to kinda swim like a darter.  It do have its moments.

Edited by bass11

a funny story about mini darters and fresh water,awhile ago someone that i gave a mini to fish informed me that it didn't work,i had him send it back to me,sure enough he put a treble on the back end. I removed the tail treble and went to a lake which is right down the street from my house.i toss the thing out and strart reeling it in.Its digging in the way it should,then i think its hitting bottom,then i realize i have a fish on.turns out to be a large mouth around 4 lbs. Crazy thing is i had no idea they were even in the lake.In all the years i have lived not more than a 1/4 mile from the lake, i haven't fished it more than a dozen times. in the last few years there have been some guys that have been ice fishing it on a regular basis..One of these days i might have to try the fresh water

Love using mini’s for the back bay, have had better success in the fall when everyone is out front. Sneak into some spring spots in late fall and usually find some good fish. CCW and LIVT are my go to’s. Have tried others but those work the best for the current and depth I usually work. I know Mike’s custom makes  the baby beast but there about as hard to come by. CCW also made a pond darter that works well mid summer when all the small baits come flooding out of the back estuaries, they seem to be alittle easier to find on the market and aren’t as sought after as the others. Top to bottom on the image: Black label, BM, LIVT and CCW mini and pond. 6C5C585A-B048-484D-A7C8-846EDBE1B2D1.jpeg.4a24b6e7753196478ccf8bbc824957f1.jpeg

I have a few Afterhours 2 oz darters that swim very well in calm water as well as medium flow as well. I had a few CCW pond darters but lost them last year. Both excellent small darters!

7 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

how about a maxi darter,as i remember it was 36 inchs long,scaled to one of my 2.5 oz darters.Hangs in a freinds house603ad7bf7d267_maxidarter.jpg.5d88af824a132e2537e9ab3bd52070f5.jpg,

LoL. I know that house and have been there fishing with the owner.