Ted Pietz

Pichney? Musso? Both?

40 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, bob jones said:

Ted, I got more than a few of them from SC. Spent a little time in his basement. Never saw more plugs in one spot.

Steve has offered me kind advice also. You must have felt honored to see his tools of the trade. This is what I love most about SOL, so many guys who really know and appreciate the history of our sport, true experts.  I've only been doing it for 60+ years and am still learning all the time. Thanks guys.

Great stuff guys, thanks for posting Ted, really beneficial to see. I believe I have a rare, large, SS bootleg? Chip off the back, the lip was bent that way when I got it.

Very cool plug, great shape, 8 inches, 3.2 oz. Curious on what you think, thanks.

20210205_002350.jpg

20210205_002502.jpg

20210205_002648.jpg

20210205_002844.jpg

20210205_002437.jpg

20210205_002523.jpg

20210205_002631.jpg

20210205_002448.jpg

6 hours ago, bob jones said:

Ted, I got more than a few of them from SC. Spent a little time in his basement. Never saw more plugs in one spot.

Thats a good topic for another time..Whats the most amount of plugs you have ever seen in one spot.Ive seen thousands in this one basement out east.

5 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

Great stuff guys, thanks for posting Ted, really beneficial to see. I believe I have a rare, large, SS bootleg? Chip off the back, the lip was bent that way when I got it.

Very cool plug, great shape, 8 inches, 3.2 oz. Curious on what you think, thanks.

20210205_002350.jpg

20210205_002502.jpg

20210205_002648.jpg

20210205_002844.jpg

20210205_002437.jpg

20210205_002523.jpg

20210205_002631.jpg

20210205_002448.jpg

This looks like a ss to me. 2 reasons - very low wire in front and I am not aware of any Large Bootlegs. 

I still haven't seen any pics showing a clear profile shot of the wire entry height on the mystery plug. I can offer some insight as how the Bootleg was born. I believe I was 100% responsible for the plugs inception although I had 0% to do with it's development. What happened was I brought the first Donny metal lips to a popular south shore jetty. Even some of my closest friends at first decided not to buy any sight unseen. The plugs were extremely effective. At the time I was the only guy that I am aware of to be both a Donny and Danny customer as their customer bases were focused in different areas. Donny's Pine was so hot that Danny's customers ran to him and described this "new" metal lip but did not have any sample as I, and a couple of friends, had the only ones on the jetty. Danny surmised that I was using a Donny plug and called and asked if I could "run one by" and asked how deep it ran. I was put in an extremely tricky position. I did not show Danny the Donny plug. The Bootleg was Danny's version of a Donny Pine and made sight unseen. Danny gave me several and asked for a comparison. I told him the truth, there wasn't much of a comparison as the Donny Pine was superior, in a direct comparison, in every way. I never bought any Bootleg's (Friends and I named the plug and Danny wasn't too happy with the chosen name). The only ones I owned were those given to me by Danny himself. Eventually others on the jetty made the connection to Donny and bought Donny's version as well. I am unsure of the year but can confirm in my log books. I suspect it was 77 or 78.

40 mins ago, SC said:

This looks like a ss to me. 2 reasons - very low wire in front and I am not aware of any Large Bootlegs. 

Steve:

There are some large size bootlegs out there. I never purchased any from Danny and actually didn't recall that he made them. But I have seen pictures, Roy put up a  picture of a one.

5 mins ago, bobtack said:

Steve:

There are some large size bootlegs out there. I never purchased any from Danny and actually didn't recall that he made them. But I have seen pictures, Roy put up a  picture of a one.

But the lure pictured above does not look like a Danny to me.

8 hours ago, Ted Pietz said:

Steve,

There it is. The difference is obvious isn't it. I wonder how many of these are out there? The design is out there because I see it in the torpedo plugs.  I do not recall anything from the 30's, 40's or 50's that have this body design.  Danny original?

Soooo interesting!

When I first got the plug a few years ago I thought it was a Musso because it had the shape of a torpedo but the paint and lip says Pichney. I know Bob Jones had one too in herring color. Somebody told me it probably was a special order? Who knows?

38 mins ago, bobtack said:

Steve:

Bob, I think I have one? It is the size of a large Danny surface swimmer. I'll dig it out and take a photo.

2 hours ago, SC said:

I still haven't seen any pics showing a clear profile shot of the wire entry height on the mystery plug. I can offer some insight as how the Bootleg was born. I believe I was 100% responsible for the plugs inception although I had 0% to do with it's development. What happened was I brought the first Donny metal lips to a popular south shore jetty. Even some of my closest friends at first decided not to buy any sight unseen. The plugs were extremely effective. At the time I was the only guy that I am aware of to be both a Donny and Danny customer as their customer bases were focused in different areas. Donny's Pine was so hot that Danny's customers ran to him and described this "new" metal lip but did not have any sample as I, and a couple of friends, had the only ones on the jetty. Danny surmised that I was using a Donny plug and called and asked if I could "run one by" and asked how deep it ran. I was put in an extremely tricky position. I did not show Danny the Donny plug. The Bootleg was Danny's version of a Donny Pine and made sight unseen. Danny gave me several and asked for a comparison. I told him the truth, there wasn't much of a comparison as the Donny Pine was superior, in a direct comparison, in every way. I never bought any Bootleg's (Friends and I named the plug and Danny wasn't too happy with the chosen name). The only ones I owned were those given to me by Danny himself. Eventually others on the jetty made the connection to Donny and bought Donny's version as well. I am unsure of the year but can confirm in my log books. I suspect it was 77 or 78.

Steve,

I will take a side angle shot of the wire and lip soon.

Thanks for your insights and wonderful story!

Ted

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had a few 7 1/4" bootlegs when I collected Pichneys. Mullet, all White & Black, Silver, White. I believe George Pharoah or Tom Taylor ended up with them. Maybe Steve McKenna or Steve Sylver?

SC, that's an interesting story about the name: 'bootleg'. I figured it was something like that; but never made the connection. Back in those days, I only knew Danny to say hello to. I knew Donny from Jones Beach & Caumsett; but I was pretty tight lipped and the conversation never got too deep. I didn't start hitting the beach hard until '77. I came back from Viet Nam in '68 & it took 8 or 9 years to get my head on straight.

I lived in Lynbrook at the time & Beckmann's & some shop in East Rockaway carried Don's darters. I don't remember seeing any metallips. Big darters in great colors. I was working 2 jobs; to make up for lost time & raising 2 kids & fishing all night; but I bought a few. Great thread!

Edited by bob jones

Here are pics of the placement of the wire entry. The plug feels like it was coated and the scale pattern on the sides, although faint, are interesting too.

100_8090.JPG

100_8089.JPG

100_8087.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here are two Danny bootlegs both large and small. Notice the edges of the lip on the large which is different from 7 Rivers plug which oozes Musso.  The lip on the small bootleg is like a swimmer lip and the lip on hte torpedo is like a Junior lip.

100_8091.JPG

100_8092.JPG

100_8093.JPG

100_8094.JPG

Edited by Ted Pietz
spelling

22 hours ago, Ted Pietz said:

Torpedo design with Pichney lip.

The belly grommets are not counter sunk.

Plug has a faint scale pattern.

Your thoughts about this plug are appreciated..

100_8069.JPG

100_8070.JPG

100_8072.JPG

100_8074.JPG

100_8075.JPG

100_8076.JPG

This looks to be a Danny Pichney made plug. Only a more accurate representation of a Don Musso Torpedo.

22 mins ago, bob jones said:

I had a few 7 1/4" bootlegs when I collected Pichneys. Mullet, all White & Black, Silver, White. I believe George Pharoah or Tom Taylor ended up with them. Maybe Steve McKenna or Steve Sylver?

SC, that's an interesting story about the name: 'bootleg'. I figured it was something like that; but never made the connection. Back in those days, I only knew Danny to say hello to. I knew Donny from Jones Beach & Caumsett; but I was pretty tight lipped and the conversation never got too deep. I didn't start hitting the beach hard until '77. I came back from Viet Nam in '68 & it took 8 or 9 years to get my head on straight.

I lived in Lynbrook at the time & Beckmann's & some shop in East Rockaway carried Don's darters. I don't remember seeing any metallips. Big darters in great colors. I was working 2 jobs; to make up for lost time & raising 2 kids & fishing all night; but I bought a few. Great thread!

Bob,

We lived parallel lives with the Nam situation and so on. Thank God we made it home.