Another Fishing Forum Folds It's Tent

Rate this topic

Midnightpass

I know a few of you guys peruse the SCSF forum down here in SO Cal.... Well, they have closed their doors today... They have been informing us for the last few days, about the closure.... It has been a great resource for me, as well as a lot of entertainment... I have made lottsa friends there, over the years, and will miss it... I just thought I'd mention it..

Butch

Butch,

Always enjoyed your posts over on that board.

There was a wealth of information on that board.

Though I didn’t post a lot there, the folks were great and I enjoyed the reports.

I hope someday to check Corbina on the fly off my bucket list.

I’ll use the Way Back Machine when it is time to freshen up what little known I have of that fishery.

SF

On 2/3/2021 at 5:42 PM, Midnightpass said:

I know a few of you guys peruse the SCSF forum down here in SO Cal.... Well, they have closed their doors today... They have been informing us for the last few days, about the closure.... It has been a great resource for me, as well as a lot of entertainment... I have made lottsa friends there, over the years, and will miss it... I just thought I'd mention it..

Butch

Thanks for letting us know.Do you know why? Wasn't it financially viable? I wonder if sites like this could be viable if they were subscription based? I would certainly pay a fee for this site of we could get rid of all of these damn ads. 

On 2/3/2021 at 7:49 PM, Stonefish said:

Butch,

Always enjoyed your posts over on that board.

There was a wealth of information on that board.

Though I didn’t post a lot there, the folks were great and I enjoyed the reports.

I hope someday to check Corbina on the fly off my bucket list.

I’ll use the Way Back Machine when it is time to freshen up what little known I have of that fishery.

SF

Yes, I learned much there and made a couple friends, Actually fished w/a couple. West Coast surf fishers, at least the SoCal ones I met, are so different than north east coast. 

I wonder if anything will fill in that void left by that website?

JD

On 2/11/2021 at 4:00 AM, jjdbike said:

Thanks for letting us know.Do you know why? Wasn't it financially viable? I wonder if sites like this could be viable if they were subscription based? I would certainly pay a fee for this site of we could get rid of all of these damn ads. 

Yes, I learned much there and made a couple friends, Actually fished w/a couple. West Coast surf fishers, at least the SoCal ones I met, are so different than north east coast. 

I wonder if anything will fill in that void left by that website?

JD

Jim... The site was run by a couple of surf fisherman and had no pay ads or other income... The last few years the reports and postings were way down... Recently, one of the moderators got a little heavy handed, and started blocking members that haven't made recent reports... That didn't go over too well, and the owners started getting angry emails... They decided it wasn't worth the hassle and pulled the plug... Since the cost came completely out of their pocket, who could blame them?... I kinda like your subscription idea, but doubt that it would have worked.. Too many people just were not participating in the forum... I saw the end coming, but really hoped it wouldn't... I am extremely disappointed..

Butch

Thanks for letting me know.

That makes sense.

People here seem to fish further N than I. To be honest, I wish I was in CA fishing the surf now. We’re in winter dulldrums here in PA / NJ. I’m looking forward to chasing trout this spring.

Stu seems to on the surf perch w/ some nice ones to boot.

Take care.

JD