Dimitrikaras01

Gsb 120/132 1L

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello SOL. Had a general question about the gsb 132 1L. I am looking to cut it down to a 120 to use for lighter things such as loaded redfins, weightless soft plastics like gt eels and sluggos, lighter bucktails, you get the memo. If i cut the 132 to 120, is it the same as the factory 120? Is it tapered the same? If not, can you tell me the differences you noticed in the factory 120 versus the 132 cut down to 120? Thank you!

Posted (edited) · Report post

to put it bluntly a 132l with 1 foot cut from the butt is a piece of shat and the the 120l is one of the best 3/4 - 3 rods around. if you cut the 132 like that you cut away to much of the power section and the rod becomes all bend. if you have the 132l build it as is or trim a little from the tip i wouldnt cut anything from that butt of that blank

Edited by SurffisherMike

Second what @SurffisherMike said. Had a long discussion about a similar question with Lamiglas last year and that is exactly what they said too. Personally, I like an 11ft blank for all of those baits you listed and use a 132L. The length of the rod really helps whip those lighter baits out, the rod loads better and slings them farther for me. Can be a little tiring working Sluggos with at times, but that's really the only drawback I could think of if I had to say something negative... this is the perfect L blank.

So,

what the actual specs on a 1201L? I see a vast difference between the 120L one pc and 120L 2 pc.  10 tip one pc 7.5 tip 2pc....

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

@WorcBoy That may have to do with the ferrule on the 2pc adding some stiffness to the overall bend profile of that blank compared to the 1pc. A lighter, narrower tip section helps soften the bend of the overall 2pc rod better to mimic a 1pc's action. When I spoke with Lamiglas about the difference in lengths of the same models and 2pc vs 1pc blanks, they explained how these different measurements in what should be similar rods give each of the rods roughly the same overall action if that makes sense. Like how @SurffisherMike explained so well.

I also noticed conflicting measurements in their website, other vendors, and catalogs. Some were just flat out typos so that could the case here... I don't own a 1201L.

Edited by hairyfishhead