Sleve

Thames Holdovers

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Been eyeing February 5th for the past week and a half since the forecast is still indicating 45°F. Planning on poking around the Thames for holdover stripers. The forecast also calls for some rain, which I am willing to brave if—and here is my question—this whole idea isn't totally crazy.

So, is there any reason I should stay dry at home? I know there were holdovers up the Thames before the snowstorm—will there be any after? 

2 hours ago, Sleve said:

Been eyeing February 5th for the past week and a half since the forecast is still indicating 45°F. Planning on poking around the Thames for holdover stripers. The forecast also calls for some rain, which I am willing to brave if—and here is my question—this whole idea isn't totally crazy.

So, is there any reason I should stay dry at home? I know there were holdovers up the Thames before the snowstorm—will there be any after? 

they will holdover in the river for the entire winter 

The best way to find them is to check out for the fleet of boats...as winter progresses, these stripers ball up in tight schools, to the point where the action is insane under the boats, while the rest of the river is barren from any signs of life...lol

2 hours ago, Paul E said:

Is spot burning okay as long as it’s in a different state?

A 15 mile long river does not qualify as a "spot" by any stretch of the imagination.

When I lived in CT from 1965-2005, we would always look for warm water in the Thames or Connecticut rivers.  Use a thermometer on a weighted line and remember those lunkers are moving slowly.

On 2/1/2021 at 2:29 PM, Tl1987 said:

they will holdover in the river for the entire winter 

These are the fish that don't cooperate with "science's migration data".    

We had Bunker in the river until a few weeks ago Had em pooled up in front or the drydocks at work. Strangest thing I have ever seen Gulls were having a field day as the fish were almost dead swimming still but barley because if the cold water

15 hours ago, borntafish said:

We had Bunker in the river until a few weeks ago Had em pooled up in front or the drydocks at work. Strangest thing I have ever seen Gulls were having a field day as the fish were almost dead swimming still but barley because if the cold water

February bunker?? That must have been super weird to see haha. I ended up spending the day on the river, but the only action I saw were red tailed hawks harassing ducks. I think I was too far north. I have a Westerly related question; mind if I PM you?