salvadore33

Which medalist reel for a 5wt

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey all 

Dumb question from a not so newbie. So now that the winter has settled in the itch to fish has risen in me to try fresh water for the fist time. I've got my self a 5 wt combo to go after trout and it came with a cheapy plastic reel I'd like to upgrade to something a bit more substantial. I know I don't need a crazy high end reel for trout so i wanted to look into a cost effective reliable used reel. Heard the pfluger medalist are work horses and figured I'd ask which model should I'd be hunting for that would permit 5-6wt line to be put on it. Theres alot of.conflicting.info I'm finding so just wanted to ask the community directly what their opinions are.

Any info would be a great help.

Lue

Grab an older 1494 (US made, not a 1494 CJ) off of the auction site. The reason for the older one is that if you decide to sell it later, it will hold more value. Plus, it's higher quality. 

A 1494 1/2 would work as well but it's not as common as the 1494. 

Dicks our their New Hunting and fishing stores. They are selling reels that are 75 years  better than the Medalist.  costs between $39.99 and $100.00

I have two of them.  That are heavy and subject to rus

The capacity chart above is cool but it uses either a level or double taper silk line. I don’t have a 1495 but do own a 1492, a few 1494s,  and one 1494.5.  I was given some larger ones that I found new homes for.  Most have the Akron stamp on the frame.  If you intend to use the reel for stocked trout then you don’t need much backing. The 1494 is perfect for a 4 or 5 wt.

the 1495 is fine for your application.  the 1494 is perhaps a bit better suited but all is well if you have a 1495.

Line-and-Backing-Capacity-of-Pflueger-Medalist-R.jpg

Thanks for the assist everyone just won an auction for the 1495 below. Anyone got tips on how to restore it a bit. Get the tarnish off the metal and what not.

Luis

Capture+_2021-02-02-15-04-13.png

Capture+_2021-02-02-15-03-46.png