BrianC86

Who here has actually used a Lamiglas Nightshift?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2021 at 8:59 AM, SPCFudgie said:

I actually won the 11’ night shift from SJ. Picked it up from Zeno Saturday, it’s rated 2-8oz nice

and light I’m pretty excited about it. 

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Soooooooooo???????

Yeah. ??? You've had it for the entire spring, let's have a report.

9 hours ago, RockRonin said:

Yeah. ??? You've had it for the entire spring, let's have a report.

Only had 1 chance to use it had fish to 28lbs in heavy current and the rod was fine. Rod is rated from 2-8 but there is no way you can throw 2oz lures all night. I was using SS bottles and they weren’t loading the rod at all elbow was sore as hell the next day. Also, the grips on this rod were pretty slippery when they got wet that’s my only complaint. Excited to use it at the canal and see how it tosses 4oz+ jigs and pencils.

Lamiglas gsb 1201M, cork tape, no reel seat, 5 guides an a tip.  Only rod you need for a jetty, a beach or an inlet. If you need a two piece rod the gsb feels great as a two piece as well.  

The amount of noise in new tech an how bad we all need it to improve our experience, is criminal.  

Sure the GSB and others will continue to do the job and do it well but it shouldn’t  stop innovation. How many people 15 years ago said, “why braid when mono works just fine and it’s cheaper” ? Even the legends like Lou Caruso are impressed by some of the advances in rod tech. He was on a recent podcast that’s easy to find talking about all of this.    

If you’re in the market for a new rod, new tech is something you’re forced to consider especially when we hear legacy companies are coming up short when it comes to warranties and customer service. 

It's a nice rod. If you can get your hands on the blank and have the rod built..that's the way to go. I'm not a fan of the grips on the factory version.  The 2-8oz is a beast, the 1-6oz is far more forgiving and easier to load.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, ReyAztecaNY said:

Sure the GSB and others will continue to do the job and do it well but it shouldn’t  stop innovation. How many people 15 years ago said, “why braid when mono works just fine and it’s cheaper” ? Even the legends like Lou Caruso are impressed by some of the advances in rod tech. He was on a recent podcast that’s easy to find talking about all of this.    

If you’re in the market for a new rod, new tech is something you’re forced to consider especially when we hear legacy companies are coming up short when it comes to warranties and customer service. 

So besides being a couple ounces lighter, what's the tangible effect modern technology has on a surf rod, a surf cast and the terminal tackle used to catch the fish? All I ever hear is light, responsive or powerful and I'm curious how any of that actually effects the final approach v.s a gsb for the sake of comparison.

I'd say modern guides have more to do with better casting, if a few ounces makes that big a difference in your cast then maybe money spent on a casting lesson would be a better option.  Iv cast a few different high end rods, with proper casting mechanics the tangible difference in casting distsnce or presentation beyond a lighter swing weight an lighter feel in the hand, is very little.

While your point regarding braid is understood, I dont think  there's been a more influential change in tackle after its introduction and so an unfair comparison to the argument that "old" tech is outdated ( by others iv spoken with)

For older folks, the tech is beneficial for sure.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Posted (edited)

On 5/20/2021 at 10:48 AM, SPCFudgie said:

Only had 1 chance to use it had fish to 28lbs in heavy current and the rod was fine. Rod is rated from 2-8 but there is no way you can throw 2oz lures all night. I was using SS bottles and they weren’t loading the rod at all elbow was sore as hell the next day. Also, the grips on this rod were pretty slippery when they got wet that’s my only complaint. Excited to use it at the canal and see how it tosses 4oz+ jigs and pencils.

If you have elbow soreness from casting then chances are a few adjustments to your stroke is in order.  The majority of the cast comes from the shoulders, lat muscles and the torso, with almost no elbow flexion when done properly.  

A stiffer rod requires a faster stroke to load with lighter lures than the rod rating, which will be exhausting none the less but has nothing to do with the elbows.

Edited by DeepBlue85

3 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

So besides being a couple ounces lighter, what's the tangible effect modern technology has on a surf rod, a surf cast and the terminal tackle used to catch the fish? All I ever hear is light, responsive or powerful and I'm curious how any of that actually effects the final approach.  

I'd say modern guides have more to do with better casting, if a few ounces makes that big a difference in your cast then maybe money spent on a casting lesson would be a better option.  Iv cast a few different high end rods, with proper casting mechanics the tangible difference in casting distsnce or presentation beyond a lighter swing weight an lighter feel in the hand, is very little.

For me, the promise of a lighter yet more durable rod is probably a bigger selling point than casting distance. Casting distance sounds amazing but I realize my bad technique plays a bigger part. I agree  though that if you’re getting your desired results from your rods, there’s probably little reason to go get the hot new thing. Where I think we differ is when you suggest that the last generation of rods is enough for all, especially when so many new surfcasters are looking for rods at all different price points. 

Posted (edited)

I dont think anything is wrong with the price or the durability of a gsb. If anything those are the two biggest selling points.  But I do understand what your saying. 

I'm also not knocking modern tech....Its more a genuine curiosity because rods seem to have followed the way of big marketing publications and personalities more than a long standing proven reputation on the water, instead it seems youtube and magazines are driving the shift to modern tech which in my opinion is the biggest thing wrong with all of it.

Edited by DeepBlue85

3 hours ago, lazzyone said:

It's a nice rod. If you can get your hands on the blank and have the rod built..that's the way to go. I'm not a fan of the grips on the factory version.  The 2-8oz is a beast, the 1-6oz is far more forgiving and easier to load.

Stumbled on a possible trade for the 1-6 version a week or two ago unfortunately the guy backed out. Not sure I’m ready to fork out that much cash for a rod as I’m  not nearly good enough at fishing to justify the cost to myself. 

18 mins ago, BrianC86 said:

Stumbled on a possible trade for the 1-6 version a week or two ago unfortunately the guy backed out. Not sure I’m ready to fork out that much cash for a rod as I’m  not nearly good enough at fishing to justify the cost to myself. 

For the money the X factor blanks and the carbon surf are hard to beat...and are a fraction of the price of the Nightshift.

9 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

So besides being a couple ounces lighter, what's the tangible effect modern technology has on a surf rod, a surf cast and the terminal tackle used to catch the fish? All I ever hear is light, responsive or powerful and I'm curious how any of that actually effects the final approach.  

While your point regarding braid is understood, I dont think  there's been a more influential change in tackle after its introduction and so an unfair comparison to the argument that "old" tech is outdated ( by others iv spoken with)

Fish a few dozen high end / modern rods.......experiment with their application over the course of a few seasons......then comment......

Lighter swing weight  and feel in hand is nice...but more of a pride of ownership sorta thing......primarily if it's slight.

That goes out the window when you really start to cut weight.

I fish a rod capable of throwing 1-8 and weighing 11 ounces........I can put a super light high capacity 11 ounce reel on it and throw 2 ounces out of sight.......and I can put a 24 oz heavy reel on it and jig and chunk.....same stick......

It weighs as much as some medium action 9 footers......so the extra length becomes a benefit instead of a hinderance.   

So my entire setup to plug with weighs as much as just a stella or saragosa 10k.

And as a bonus....the sensitivity is insane.....I have myself on camera comparing a few rods and one being extremely sensitive I could feel the pressure wave of the miss....and be geared up for the hookset at the come back.

Not the case on some other Mid/high end rods.

One thing to consider............Who is the high end rod maker.....are they just making copies of a copy or doing things uniquely from the ground up..........

I'm 40 years old......I can appreciate what true high end rods offer.  

I have sitting next to me a few NRX + rods seeing if they'll be upgrades over my STEEZ AGS rods.  WHich are sitting next a few NFC XRAY rods I built with carbon grips and torzites :)

The only thing I can say in defense of what you're saying is...there is quite a bit of overpriced garbage out there....

Posted (edited)

Valid points that I can't disagree with entirely,  the price range of alot of that stuff is just through

the roof an the idea of rocks, jettys an bridges around that kind of jewelry irks me. Being a traditionalist keeps me firmly locked in the 90's. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

Posted (edited)

The reality of why gsb’s (and the 704/706) are so popular is simply due to the fact that there really weren’t any other options years ago. Blanks over 10’ well limited as were the reels that were used on them. So you made do with what was available. 

The reality again, is that they pretty much suck. I had two gsb’s that I made. Best way to describe them is mushy. I tried them a few years ago and I still think they’re oscillating from the last cast that I made. 

Today, it’s nice to have multiple choices with quality tackle vs being stuck with a limited number of items that were simply used due to a lack of suitable options. 

Edited by Drew C.

Posted (edited)

The moderate action of a gsb is something I find useful in keeping better contact with poorly hooked fish by mitigating the leverage resulting from no stretch line, a stiff rod and a heavy plug or bucktail. Also for pulling fish out of structure where high line tensions resulting from the same things, increase the likelihood of breaking off. 

I'm not arguing against the modern stuff so much as I really bellieve gsb's should if anything be more relevant today with all the modern upgrades available with the durability an fishability the blanks always offered.  

In the spectrum of modernity...I do think cts is leading the pack and do a nice job at providing blanks that have yet to change much...and they do perform admirably.  But my vote goes to my lovely gsb's.... i have a whole rack of all cuts an builds between Lou and the ones I built my self.... every one has a purpose. 

I still fish old penns often though....so take my observations with a grain of salt.  

Edited by DeepBlue85