BrianC86

Who here has actually used a Lamiglas Nightshift?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

There is so little information on this series, even on this site. Which one of you owns one, or has used one?

How does it perform? Was it worth the price point? Anyone built a night shift blank before?

And please, do not use this thread as a reason to talk about Lamiglas’ lack of PR or how you think they suck!

I don't own one.. I have fished the 10'm a few times. My buddy had it, neither of us liked the way the rod fished, he sold it.. in general I'm not the biggest fan of 2 pc surf rods, some have accomplished a very uniform feel and I don't mind using them, lamiglas did not accomplish that with this rod. It was almost like you could feel the point of seperation in the rod while under load with a fish. It was a strange feeling.. I've heard of several exploding as well.. 

All in all, after holding the rod and fishing it for a bit. Its not the worst, but certainly not the best. Imo, like much of what lamiglas produces these days, the price can't be justified when comparing components and performance..

I'm not a lami hater.. they make some nice FW stuff from what I understand. I own several older blank custom surf rods and a few of the factory triflex inshore rods, I still fish them. It's their newer stuff I consider to be mostly over priced crap.. there are much MUCH nicer rods one can buy for the same coin as the nightshift.. 

Appreciate the feedback. Not really looking into getting one, they just still seem so mysterious after being in the market for a while lol

Posted (edited)

I really wish they'd just stick to the old proven stuff......something no other company seems to do.

A gsb does everything new tech rods do, if a few ounces in weight or slightly faster tip recovery makes that much of a difference in your fishing that your willing to pay hundreds more for that technology, then maybe you should re-evaluate your technical approach first.

Edited by DeepBlue85

1 hour ago, DeepBlue85 said:

I really wish they'd just stick to the old proven stuff......something no other company seems to do.

A gsb does everything new tech rods do, if a few ounces in weight or slightly faster tip recovery makes that much of a difference in your fishing that your willing to pay hundreds more for that technology, then maybe you should re-evaluate your technical approach first.

While I understand your point, there’s something to be said for improvement and progress, and with what little information there is, I’m just wondering what this rod is all about. Winter time curiosity.

Posted (edited)

I do agree with that as well, just to be clear I was speaking generally, not toward you or your post.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

12 hours ago, BrianC86 said:

There is so little information on this series, even on this site. Which one of you owns one, or has used one?

How does it perform? Was it worth the price point? Anyone built a night shift blank before?

And please, do not use this thread as a reason to talk about Lamiglas’ lack of PR or how you think they suck!

I built one in April last year. It’s an awesome rod, it was the 10’ Medium 1-5 oz. I have used it primarily on the outer cape beaches paired wit a salt-x 6000. It excels at throwing anything up to 4oz. Fuji-k guides, it is a light rod that is easy to use throughout the night. Would definitely recommend it.

12 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I don't own one.. I have fished the 10'm a few times. My buddy had it, neither of us liked the way the rod fished, he sold it.. in general I'm not the biggest fan of 2 pc surf rods, some have accomplished a very uniform feel and I don't mind using them, lamiglas did not accomplish that with this rod. It was almost like you could feel the point of seperation in the rod while under load with a fish. It was a strange feeling.. I've heard of several exploding as well.. 

All in all, after holding the rod and fishing it for a bit. Its not the worst, but certainly not the best. Imo, like much of what lamiglas produces these days, the price can't be justified when comparing components and performance..

I'm not a lami hater.. they make some nice FW stuff from what I understand. I own several older blank custom surf rods and a few of the factory triflex inshore rods, I still fish them. It's their newer stuff I consider to be mostly over priced crap.. there are much MUCH nicer rods one can buy for the same coin as the nightshift.. 

I know exactly what youre talking about. Lower end rod but i have an 11' Insane Surf that feels exactly this way. I absolutely cannot stand fishing it and its out of my rotation now. Even just casting 3 oz bucktails in the inlet i could feel exactly what youre describing when the rod would flex and bounce on the cast. Truly is a horrible rod and an awful feeling imo. I fished it last year but im selling it before this season for something with a 70/30 split or a 1 piece. I wont buy another 50/50 rod

13 hours ago, BrianC86 said:

Appreciate the feedback. Not really looking into getting one, they just still seem so mysterious after being in the market for a while lol

Did the Night shift crew that the rod is branded after do anything with it.

I didn't see much of anything.  

Posted (edited)

"Night shift crew"

Lol

Sorry I still laugh at this entire attempt at branding and image.

Edited by DeepBlue85

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Did the Night shift crew that the rod is branded after do anything with it.

I didn't see much of anything.  

I haven’t seen anything from SJ about it which is curious. 

Guys that fish at night fish old lami rods that are way to heavy for a lot of the younger pansy fisher lady’s I see out these days. Sorry to the true fisher lady’s that was no intended for you.  

I actually won the 11’ night shift from SJ. Picked it up from Zeno Saturday, it’s rated 2-8oz nice and light I’m pretty excited about it. 

1 hour ago, SPCFudgie said:

I actually won the 11’ night shift from SJ. Picked it up from Zeno Saturday, it’s rated 2-8oz nice and light I’m pretty excited about it. 

Looking forward to your thoughts!