Lowcountry Yaker

What’s this grip?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Really new to surf fishing, but I’ve noticed that there’s a sort of old school vibe to lots of sir builds that you also see on spey rods but not as much elsewhere. It really appeals to me. Saw a hilarious video on ************* YT vid yesterday that showed this rod. 

I’m curious what the red section of the grip below the reel is and what its purpose is. Given there’s no real decoration to the rest of the build - it is plain and utilitarian - it would seem it’s not for that. Any ideas?

A1A6AB23-88A4-4F8B-9AB2-A2252B087A8A.png

Had a bunch of grips wear thru from rubbing the on the waders holding it between legs. i wrap it with  when it wears thru with whatever is available electrical tape, duck tape, the stuff they put on hockey sticks.   

10 mins ago, SC said:

Looks like the blank. Split grip is the term I've always used but I don't know if it's an Official term or not

Not the blank. That’s a wrap of some sort, but it does appear flush with the cork tape. 

I think derekh has it right - it’s about wear from the blank being held between his legs. 

It could be the wrap that is used on tennis racket handles.  Probably not judging from the redish looking color, but the texture of the stuff looks like it. 

Looks like something similar to Winn grip tape.  They make grips for everything sports from tennis, to golf to fishing.  If not you can probably achieve the same look with it or other golf grip tapes.