scoobydoo

Waders - New $700 Orvis Waders Vs $850 Simms Vs $500 Dryft Vs $350 Compass

Rate this topic

153 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

"I've been using Simms for quite some time now. Mainly the G3 and G4, they last great as long as you take care of them. (price is a bit excessive!) Don't leave them in a hot car, don't wear jeans under them, check for leaks and aqua seal the pin holes when needed or once a season."

The same for 20 years, but I like to be dry when I fish. I used to hang my Simms waders on a rack in a dry place after every trip and patch the pin holes and seams leaks with aqua seal before the next trip. If you like playing with your waders before every trip be my guest. Yeah they are comfortable, but they are also fragile and only good enough for hobby fisherman that are willing to pay a lot for a status product IMO.

I have had the Patagonias for 2/1/2 years and not a single leak or pin hole. The zipper also goes low enough to be useful unlike the Simms.

The problem is the Simms Gortex fabric does not stay waterproof unless you keep it clean and treat it with their waterproofing spray and dry it with a hair drier every season as per Simms. Simms will re-waterproof your wader for you for pile of cash if you send the waders to them in perfectly clean condition, otherwise they will reject them. When they develop numerous small leaks due to fabric and seam failures which happens in short order if you wade a lot river you are on your own. 

Since I got the Patagonias I have not had the condensation problem I had with the Simms paper thin Gortex fabric.

The Simms are not guide quality.

Why should you pay top dollar for a fragile pair of waders that only stay waterproof when they are brand new. After a few trip if you spray the inside of a Pair of Simms G3 waders with isopropyl alcohol you will see all the dark pin holes spots and the problem is progressive. In short order the number of pin hole leaks increases and the leaks start appearing on the seams.

If you own a pair of Simms G3's or G4's you should invest in aqua seal company.

If they aren't "guide" quality why are they worn by at least 80% of fishing guides? I feel like you must have never owned a pair of g3 or g4 wader.. maybe you had a bad experience with some of the lower quality "thin ones" ie freestones or headwaters, but g3 and g4 series aren't fragile by any means. I've cut chunks of sardines on my wader leg for backtrolling salmon in Alaska. They've had every chemical you could have around a boat on them from gasoline and stabil, to motor oil and grease. probably cleaned that off with brake cleaner too...they aren't weak. I work and live in them for 6 months a year.

Patagonia is the #1 "status" product..:howdy:

$100 cheaper and they're made in South Korea...Patagonia is great, I love their clothes but the simms bashing is over the top. It's a great company that makes a nice wader and made in Montana

4 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

I’ve never heard you can’t wear jeans under waders. It’s about all I wear.

is that why my waders, no matter what brand, always leak after a season or two?

I never had the G3 or G4 Simms but I’ve owned many waders under say $400 over the years, from snowbees, Hodgeman, Simms and Patagonia. I currently have some leaky Simms freestones and newer Patagonia’s I got on sale that haven’t leaked yet. My requirement is lightweight, zip pockets and mid priced $250-$400.

I expect only a couple of seasons of 150 trips.

jeans are a very abrasive material, they wear the wader from the inside where its not protected by a heavier nylon layer like the outside of the wader

2 hours ago, Jon H. said:

If they aren't "guide" quality why are they worn by at least 80% of fishing guides? I feel like you must have never owned a pair of g3 or g4 wader.. maybe you had a bad experience with some of the lower quality "thin ones" ie freestones or headwaters, but g3 and g4 series aren't fragile by any means. I've cut chunks of sardines on my wader leg for backtrolling salmon in Alaska. They've had every chemical you could have around a boat on them from gasoline and stabil, to motor oil and grease. probably cleaned that off with brake cleaner too...they aren't weak. I work and live in them for 6 months a year.

Patagonia is the #1 "status" product..:howdy:

$100 cheaper and they're made in South Korea...Patagonia is great, I love their clothes but the simms bashing is over the top. It's a great company that makes a nice wader and made in Montana

I agree 100%  Simms are the best, and made in USA. The materials are the best, especially around the high wear areas. 

Rough surf, and jetties, the last pair I bought was 3 years ago. No pin holes, no leaks. They are the best!!

I bought a pair of Frogg Togg Breathable Hellbender Bootfoots for $160, they arrived and appear as if they might leak right out of the box. The seam where the bot meets the pant leg is sketchy at best. I'll report back in May after a few weeks of use. Not confident.

6 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

I bought a pair of Frogg Togg Breathable Hellbender Bootfoots for $160, they arrived and appear as if they might leak right out of the box. The seam where the bot meets the pant leg is sketchy at best. I'll report back in May after a few weeks of use. Not confident.

They're gonna leak out of the box? 

What the heck kinda box do you expect them to use? 

Lmao.... Sorry couldn't resist 

2 hours ago, Tagman said:

I agree 100%  Simms are the best, and made in USA. The materials are the best, especially around the high wear areas. 

Rough surf, and jetties, the last pair I bought was 3 years ago. No pin holes, no leaks. They are the best!!

Mine had a lot of pin holes.  Even after  a few trips but i was wadiing in deep in water.  Sent them back to Simms and when i got them back i was shocked at the number of patches.  Nice thing about the surf is your not constantly under water so a few pin holes probably won't be noticeable.  If you're wading up to your waist that's a different ball game.  

If breathability isn't an absolute requirement USIA waders are worth a look. 

A quick search on this site will turn up a number of threads with users singing their praises.

Made in US. Available with numerous custom features, including kevlar knee reinforcement.

They will do custom sizing - you could probably have them taper the legs as required.

Their sewing, seam taping, and overall construction are outstanding.

But, not breathable. 

57 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Mine had a lot of pin holes.  Even after  a few trips but i was wadiing in deep in water.  Sent them back to Simms and when i got them back i was shocked at the number of patches.  Nice thing about the surf is your not constantly under water so a few pin holes probably won't be noticeable.  If you're wading up to your waist that's a different ball game.  

Its unfortunate that you had these problems with your Simms waders.  It not my experience. Yes, I do wade above the hips. Not everyday, but often. 

You can call it a pinhole, a tear, a rip......ect.  A leak is a leak, no matter how big the hole is. If there is a leak, it’s gonna leak every time it’s submerged. Not just under certain conditions. Mine  don’t leak. Not even a little bit.

Another thing Simms does better, they use the real Gore material. Many waders from the competition use a Gore like breathable product or coating. Some of these other non Gore breathable materials work well, but they are still not Gore tex which is more expensive. 

I have tried some of the other brands, and all I can say is there is no comparison. At least with my experience. I like that the Simms are made in the USA, and If I do have a problem, I can send then back to the factory. Funny thing, I never heard any of these problems about the Simms until I read this thread. Nothing about pinholes, thin materials or bad service from this company. 

When my coating of Flex Seal stops holding

up on my current Beans, I think im going to

try the Froggs. Waders one of the worst bangs for

your buck in fishing gear. Im only on sand beaches

so spending big $$ on waders isnt worth it to me.

13 hours ago, Jon H. said:
17 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

If they aren't "guide" quality why are they worn by at least 80% of fishing guides?

That was my observation as well, and the reason i bought my first pair of Simms Guides many years ago. I’ve never heard of these waders being called fragile or prone to leaking.  Used them deep wading in trout streams for decades, as well as countless night on jetties and all over Montauk.

13 hours ago, yosco said:

When my coating of Flex Seal stops holding

up on my current Beans, I think im going to

try the Froggs. Waders one of the worst bangs for

your buck in fishing gear. Im only on sand beaches

so spending big $$ on waders isnt worth it to me.

I agree.  Maybe we should invest in longer better casting rods and stay on dry ground.  Waders all suck

3 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I stay on dry ground.  Waders all suck

My sentiments exactly.  I usually have no reason to be waist deep in water anymore- i just don't fish that way these days. 

4 hours ago, iputmyhoursin said:

I'm running on 7 years with my current LL Bean waders. The best money I ever spent, I haven't had any leaks it it yet.

I’ve had 4 pairs of beans and none lasted the season.  

18 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

My sentiments exactly.  I usually have no reason to be waist deep in water anymore- i just don't fish that way these days. 

Nothing of what i was, but I’m still fording channels to get to fish. Waders are still paramount.