codfish

Only 1 color for the Canal what gets your vote??

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

And that secret color still works to this day.  I still protect it's anonymity.  When I'm done fishing, I remove it and place it in my bag, out of the sight of prying eyes. :squid: .  But the truth is, this color is only available if you pour your own.

Bob, have you ever laid into a decent bite with your money pattern ..then switched it up to other colors using the same jig/plastic combo to see the response? Is it a pattern that tends to grab a few fish when other colors get ignored? Just interested in how bass respond to different colors at night and at depth, when the difference between many colors seems almost trivial to my eye. 

4 mins ago, rst3 said:

Bob, have you ever laid into a decent bite with your money pattern ..then switched it up to other colors using the same jig/plastic combo to see the response? Is it a pattern that tends to grab a few fish when other colors get ignored? Just interested in how bass respond to different colors at night and at depth, when the difference between many colors seems almost trivial to my eye. 

Many times.  Ask DJ. Why do you think he went to all the trouble of pouring his own.  ;)

I'll say this, it's not the only color I use, but it's always my go to.

Rst3, your closing words say it all.  "Trivial to my eye".  Used to look that way to my eyes too.  But I'm not in 40' of water, in a 5kt current, at 1am grubbing for food. Things look different to fish. Different moon, no moon. Ambient light. It all adds up.

7 hours ago, bob_G said:

Many times.  Ask DJ. Why do you think he went to all the trouble of pouring his own.  ;)

I'll say this, it's not the only color I use, but it's always my go to.

Rst3, your closing words say it all.  "Trivial to my eye".  Used to look that way to my eyes too.  But I'm not in 40' of water, in a 5kt current, at 1am grubbing for food. Things look different to fish. Different moon, no moon. Ambient light. It all adds up.

:) thanks for sharing:)

There's an excellent article on how fish see colors in different circumstances in Sport Fishing Mag June 2019.

(hope this is kosher Tim).

At least in this article it shows how surface lure color doesn't matter as much as I (we) think it does.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:06 PM, bob_G said:

There was a time when purple bucktail was the hottest color on the canal.

My grandfather bucktailed from his boat and preferred purple, all the time. 

56 mins ago, ged said:

Purple shows up as red to the fish according to a study done a number of years ago, that is every jig I tie the wrap will be red Peace and Prayers

48 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Purple shows up as red to the fish according to a study done a number of years ago, that is every jig I tie the wrap will be red Peace and Prayers

Question, if purple shows up as red, what does red show up as?

:0)

On 2/5/2021 at 4:52 PM, ged said:

A dark purple, or something closer to a mid- or light-toned lavender?