stripedbassking

Striped Bass Comm Fishing Proposal for Mass...... Definitely not good

Rate this topic

952 posts in this topic

Just now, stripedbassking said:

Incorrect, 52 is a bigger number then 48. Both numbers are mortality so regardless of what/how they die they die. Period. 52 goes away then the fish species rebound. So what’s right and save the species instead of trying to decimate it.

thats gonna be it for me, god bless…..

There you said it again, in your mind eliminating 48% of mortality instead of 52% is an attempt at decimation?  You don't really believe that do you?

Do you understand the numbers are based on estimates and the margin of error is likely greater than four percent, right?  They could easily be flipped, or a draw even.  

Before you bow out, answer me this; Mass is doing a new study that will provide us more accurate numbers.  If it shows that the numbers are reversed, would you then agree that we should stop catch and waste fishing before we stop catch and eat if its shown to kill the most fish?  

Catch and release works, look at species like the Tarpon. Works great, stripedbass can do the same and hopefully will in the near future. Yes I believe that and I guarantee the majority of the east coast would as well

1 hour ago, stripedbassking said:

Just in case people don’t think there’s commercial bycatch, and yes I know Mass isn’t net, but this still effects the fishery:

AB1F49A5-96FB-4B42-86C4-EAB23DA0F8A4.png

92CC4366-4AFC-459C-BEC5-88E818FBEF7A.png

question for @CWitek or @MakoMike . Is commercial bycatch from other commercial fisheries built into striped bass mortality calculation? We all know that the fishing inexplicably shuts down after a couple trawlers comes through looking for bunker.

7 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

Catch and release works, look at species like the Tarpon. Works great, stripedbass can do the same and hopefully will in the near future. Yes I believe that and I guarantee the majority of the east coast would as well

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think tarpon were ever fished commercially nor are they known to be good table fare because of all the small bones.   So how exactly do tarpon compare to striped bass?

Guarantee away but I assure you, the majority of fisherman fish striper as a fun way to get food, and no, they would not agree with you.  

And no one is arguing if it will benefit striper population numbers if we go to catch and release only.   The argument is if that's the best way to achieve the goal when you can have the same result without waste.   

9 mins ago, Pickerel92 said:

question for @CWitek or @MakoMike . Is commercial bycatch from other commercial fisheries built into striped bass mortality calculation? We all know that the fishing inexplicably shuts down after a couple trawlers comes through looking for bunker.

I don't know the answer to that question. I think the answer is yes, but I'm not sure. I can try to find out, but It may take until Monday.

4 hours ago, Pickerel92 said:

Yes.  Estimated at 2% of total fishing mortality.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:58 AM, MAArcher said:

I would have to look at all the data from back then.  how much of the recovery was due to improved environmental conditions rather than the 36" limit?  How many fishermen left the fishery because it was too hard to catch a 36" fish?

Why wouldn't you improve a wood spoke wagon wheel with a nice polished aluminum one that can do the job hundreds of times better?

What is you're suggestion to fix the situation?  Eliminate catch and release to save two million fish a year or eliminate commercial fishing to save 250 thousand?  If your answer is to eliminate commercial fishing and continue to allow the wasting of 2 million fish a year, then you are against commercial fishing, no?

Those that didn't want more restrictions blamed everything else except the obvious, which was overfishing.  Some of the excuses were as follows:

-The water is polluted.
-The fish moved offshore.
-They are hitting all black lures when you are using white.
-They are hitting white lures when you are using black.
-Should have been here yesterday.
-You suck.
-Etc...

I've spoken/written about this more times than I care to count.  I started calling and even writing letters to all the fishery the managers and the state governors when I noticed a more significant decline around 10 years ago give or take.  I even had fishery commissioners from up north telling me I had no idea what I was talking about since the fishing in their waters has been the best in years.  Meanwhile not too long after that the ASMFC released their findings which happened to be consistent with what I have been saying for years, the fishery is in trouble.  When a particular fishery manager responded stating they had excellent fishing, I responded by reminding them that if you asked anyone who fished Block Island in the 80s, they would have said the same thing and we all know how that turned out.

For the most part I really do not have a problem with commercial fishing since the recs take the lion’s share of our shared resource.  I do have a problem with people being pigs and not being considerate of others.  I have more of a problem with those that continuously fight meaningful regs.  There should be a much more active management plan in place where they review the catch data and the haul seines annually and make decisions using science and data.  A shorter season and 1 @ 36" would have been a good start.  

When I was fishing in the 80s with my dad, no one caught keeper sized bass when it was 1 @ 36” at that time.  All the fish we caught were small.  But there were plenty of us that fished for them and we weren’t deterred because there was some action to be had and it was improving.  As the years past, those fish that were released grew, spawned and what do you know, a few years later the place where I would catch 15” to 20” bass were now yielding fish that were 15 to 20lbs.  Additionally, there was no waiting for them to come in within casting range.  You could literally cast to the other side where I grew up fishing so if the fish were there you caught them.  

Like I said earlier, we have been down this road before.