stripedbassking

Striped Bass Comm Fishing Proposal for Mass...... Definitely not good

Rate this topic

952 posts in this topic

21 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Absolutely correct.

You contradict yourself so much. First you want everyone to eat striper instead of beef because it’s better for the environment now you agree that doing so would make them extinct. Then I few posts before that you reply to me saying stripers aren’t going extinct. WTF. 

7 mins ago, Finneus said:

No, never said you should stop eating fish. If I did please quote me directly. I said, for the third time now, that the most impact on the fishery would be to eliminate all keeping of striped bass as that kills the most fish when you add rec and commercial together. Note I am not separating out commercial vs rec keeping. 

Look, just because your not spelling it out doesn't mean your not saying it.  For the third time now you are say I shouldn't be able to keep a fish, so I cant eat what I don't have.  And your saying that you should be allowed to continue to catch and release, meaning you get to keep killing and wasting while I can't have on for dinner.   It doesn't matter if you're separating out commercial and rec.  Your separating out your activity of wasting fish for fun and my activity of consuming them for food.   If the fishery is in trouble, the first thing to stop is waste.   And if its still in trouble, the second thing to stop would be commercial.  And if its still in trouble after that then you should stop recreational catch and keep.  You have it backwards.    

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, z-man said:

You contradict yourself so much. First you want everyone to eat striper instead of beef because it’s better for the environment now you agree that doing so would make them extinct. Then I few posts before that you reply to me saying stripers aren’t going extinct. WTF. 

No, again, more reading comprehension issues.  Please go back to reading Judy Blume, this conversation is obviously way beyond your skill set.   

I never said eating striper would make them go extinct.  I agreed that if we eat them at the same rate as beef they would go extinct.   Stripers are not going extinct.   I never said I want everyone to eat striper instead of beef.  I said I want SOME people to eat SOME striper instead of SOME beef.   There are zero contradictions, only your failure to comprehend.   

Edited by MAArcher

1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

Because that's my only reasonable geographic option.  That's where I fish and you just said there are all kinds of other species available to me.  And your argument makes no sense.  If you have other more plentiful fish available for you to catch and waste, why aren't you doing that instead of wasting striper? 

So your argument is that because striper are the only fish that you can catch you should be allowed to keep as many as you want? What if you lived in a place where elephants were the only animals around? Would you eat them too? You have a boat right? Why don’t you learn to catch something else like pollock or haddock? Stop with the lame excuses trying to justify what you do. 

12 mins ago, MAArcher said:

No, again, more reading comprehension issues.  Please go back to reading Judy Blume, this conversation is obviously way beyond your skill set.   

I never said eating striper would make them go extinct.  I agreed that if we eat them at the same rate as beef they would go extinct.   Stripers are not going extinct.   I never said I want everyone to eat striper instead of beef.  I said I want SOME people to eat SOME striper instead of SOME beef.   There are zero contradictions, only your failure to comprehend.   

Do you think that stripers are not in trouble?

3 mins ago, z-man said:

Do you think that stripers are not in trouble?

I suspect the population is less than it has been and its likely we need to curb some level of mortality.

6 mins ago, z-man said:

So your argument is that because striper are the only fish that you can catch you should be allowed to keep as many as you want? What if you lived in a place where elephants were the only animals around? Would you eat them too? You have a boat right? Why don’t you learn to catch something else like pollock or haddock? Stop with the lame excuses trying to justify what you do. 

Holy **** your reading comprehension is just terrible.  Nothing I said would indicate that I think I should be allowed to keep as many as I want.  If you keep this up I'm not going to be able to give you the benefit of the doubt, I'm just going to have to assume that the reason why you can't comprehend is because you're handy-caped, excuse me, handy-capable. Are you handy-capable?  

I would absolutely eat an elephant if it was sustainable to do so and they tasted good.   

I can't take my boat off shore right now, but next year if the fishing gods shine on me I'll be eating flounder, haddock, pollock, shark, tuna and striper.  I already said we should be eating diversely so we don't put all the pressure on one species.  

Still waiting on what your not-lame excuse is for killing and wasting striper when you think the population is in such trouble?

Just now, MAArcher said:

How so?

How not so?

It worked for many gamefish fisheries. The second there’s a price tag put on a species it’s bad for the fish. Period.

8 mins ago, MAArcher said:

I suspect the population is less than it has been and its likely we need to curb some level of mortality.

You suspect????

3 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Holy **** your reading comprehension is just terrible.  Nothing I said would indicate that I think I should be allowed to keep as many as I want.  If you keep this up I'm not going to be able to give you the benefit of the doubt, I'm just going to have to assume that the reason why you can't comprehend is because you're handy-caped, excuse me, handy-capable. Are you handy-capable?  

I would absolutely eat an elephant if it was sustainable to do so and they tasted good.   

I can't take my boat off shore right now, but next year if the fishing gods shine on me I'll be eating flounder, haddock, pollock, shark, tuna and striper.  I already said we should be eating diversely so we don't put all the pressure on one species.  

Still waiting on what your not-lame excuse is for killing and wasting striper when you think the population is in such trouble?

That’s the joke of this whole argument. I’m not wasting striper. It’s just some term you came up with to make you feel better about your killing. Also you got a comm permit so you could keep more fish for yourself. You said it multiple times so don’t deny that you want to keep as many fish as you want. Excuse me, I should have said it’s so that you don’t waste as many fish. 
:point:

Just now, stripedbassking said:

How not so?

It worked for many gamefish fisheries. The second there’s a price tag put on a species it’s bad for the fish. Period.

How not so? Catch and release fishing wastes more fish than commercial fishing consumes.  In pure numbers, catch and release fishing kills 6x more fish than commercial fishing, so catch and release is worse.  That's how not so.  

Striper are not a gamefish (and no fish should be).   Putting a price tag on a wild animal is the only way to save them, unfortunately.  But to be clear, we both are putting a price tag on them.  As others have already stated, there is economic benefit when striped bass are used as a gamefish.  Commercial fishermen put a literal price tag on them.   Recreational catch and keep fishermen make them valuable for their economic activity as well.   In modern times its when no one makes a dime off a wild thing that it gets wiped out.

1 min ago, z-man said:

That’s the joke of this whole argument. I’m not wasting striper. It’s just some term you came up with to make you feel better about your killing. Also you got a comm permit so you could keep more fish for yourself. You said it multiple times so don’t deny that you want to keep as many fish as you want. Excuse me, I should have said it’s so that you don’t waste as many fish. 
:point:

Its not a term I came up with. Its in the dictionary.  Waste: eliminated or discarded as no longer useful or required after the completion of a process.  I know this is a big ask given your limited language skills, but please explain to me how releasing a fish to die after you've played with it does not fit the definition of waste?

And once again, I'm not saying you shouldn't ever be allowed to waste fish.  I grew up wasting fish.   It is fun.  But we should only do it if there's an abundance.