stripedbassking

Striped Bass Comm Fishing Proposal for Mass...... Definitely not good

Rate this topic

952 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Dave T. said:

Why does everyone keep engaging with this guy. He is by own admission a ****** fisherman who will ultimately have no impact on the overall striper population regardless of what endorsements he holds! He has come on here for the sole purpose of antagonizing members into futile debates. Is he part of the problem? I don’t really think so because although some will argue what he does is less than ethical he doesn’t seem to possess the skill set that would have  any real impact ( again by his own admission). Let him blow his own horn to an empty room and ignore any further engagement with an individual who’s ideology is so far removed from the majority who enjoy this site.

Honestly he is a good troll to feed, I am learning something from this train wreck, and it's a case study in deviant psychology to watch the pretzel he is twisting himself into

8 hours ago, Dave T. said:

Why does everyone keep engaging with this guy. He is by own admission a ****** fisherman who will ultimately have no impact on the overall striper population regardless of what endorsements he holds! He has come on here for the sole purpose of antagonizing members into futile debates. Is he part of the problem? I don’t really think so because although some will argue what he does is less than ethical he doesn’t seem to possess the skill set that would have  any real impact ( again by his own admission). Let him blow his own horn to an empty room and ignore any further engagement with an individual who’s ideology is so far removed from the majority who enjoy this site.

It’s entertaining. 

2 hours ago, marty_mccarty said:

Honestly he is a good troll to feed, I am learning something from this train wreck, and it's a case study in deviant psychology to watch the pretzel he is twisting himself into

I'm going to hazard a guess that you don't even realize that you are the deviant?   Take a step back and think of what fishing is throughout the world and throughout all of human history.  Have fish historically been viewed as food or entertainment?  Even today, is the majority of fishing in the world taking place as catch and release for fun only, or is it for food?  Now, is my view of fish as food deviant or is it your view of fish as fun that fits the definition of deviant?  I'll give you a hint, around the globe every year over 160 billion pounds of fish are caught by commercial fishing alone.  

Also, there's no pretzel, assuming you're meaning that there's contradictions in what I've posted.  You'd have to read them all to have full context but you'd see, there are no contradictions and it all boils down to one issue, catch and release kills more fish than commercial take by a factor of about 6x; so if fish stocks are in trouble we should curb catch and release mortality first.   

56 mins ago, MAArcher said:

I'm going to hazard a guess that you don't even realize that you are the deviant?   Take a step back and think of what fishing is throughout the world and throughout all of human history.  Have fish historically been viewed as food or entertainment?  Even today, is the majority of fishing in the world taking place as catch and release for fun only, or is it for food?  Now, is my view of fish as food deviant or is it your view of fish as fun that fits the definition of deviant?  I'll give you a hint, around the globe every year over 160 billion pounds of fish are caught by commercial fishing alone.  

Also, there's no pretzel, assuming you're meaning that there's contradictions in what I've posted.  You'd have to read them all to have full context but you'd see, there are no contradictions and it all boils down to one issue, catch and release kills more fish than commercial take by a factor of about 6x; so if fish stocks are in trouble we should curb catch and release mortality first.   

Why do we care what fishing is like in the rest of the world or in the past? This is America and it’s 2021. Do you want our ocean to be a barren wasteland like in the third world countries where people only catch to eat. How’s that working out for them?

4667BFFB-51AA-47EF-83E2-8DD5A7A35023.jpeg

Edited by z-man
Forgot the pretzel

6 mins ago, z-man said:

Why do we care what fishing is like in the rest of the world or in the past? This is America and it’s 2021. Do you want our ocean to be a barren wasteland like in the third world countries where people only catch to eat. How’s that working out for them?

4667BFFB-51AA-47EF-83E2-8DD5A7A35023.jpeg

Note one thing I've posted could be construed that I want a barren ocean or that any of my suggestions would get us there.  The only way we'll get to a barren ocean is with too many people like you who live in self righteous denial.  The fact is, killing striper for fun kills more striper than commercial fishing, about six times as many.   But you deny it to the detriment of the fish you profess to love so that you can selfishly protect your need to torture fish for fun.   Who's the one tying themselves in a pretzel knot?  

26 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Note one thing I've posted could be construed that I want a barren ocean or that any of my suggestions would get us there.  The only way we'll get to a barren ocean is with too many people like you who live in self righteous denial.  The fact is, killing striper for fun kills more striper than commercial fishing, about six times as many.   But you deny it to the detriment of the fish you profess to love so that you can selfishly protect your need to torture fish for fun.   Who's the one tying themselves in a pretzel knot?  

Why do you not understand that if everyone fished to kill/eat that there would be no fish left. Look at what happened in the rest of the world and even here with species like cod that are not caught and released. Your logic doesn’t work. 

8 mins ago, z-man said:

Why do you not understand that if everyone fished to kill/eat that there would be no fish left. Look at what happened in the rest of the world and even here with species like cod that are not caught and released. Your logic doesn’t work. 

Why do you not understand what I've said a dozen times now, I'm not advocating for fishing them to extinction, nothing I've said can be construed to mean that, that's just something you've made up in your head to justify your own broken narrative. 

I'm trying to explain to you that at since you kill fish and I kill fish, one of us needs to stop.  But since I eat my fish and you throw six time what I eat away, in tight times you should be the one to stop killing fish, not me.  My logic works fine, you're illogic is what ruins things.  The simple fact is that recreation release mortality is six times higher than all commercial fishing combined, yet in your demented logic you think the answer is to stop commercial fishing and keep recreational mortality going.  I hate to use the word stupid, but is that not stupid?

13 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Why do you not understand what I've said a dozen times now, I'm not advocating for fishing them to extinction, nothing I've said can be construed to mean that, that's just something you've made up in your head to justify your own broken narrative. 

I'm trying to explain to you that at since you kill fish and I kill fish, one of us needs to stop.  But since I eat my fish and you throw six time what I eat away, in tight times you should be the one to stop killing fish, not me.  My logic works fine, you're illogic is what ruins things.  The simple fact is that recreation release mortality is six times higher than all commercial fishing combined, yet in your demented logic you think the answer is to stop commercial fishing and keep recreational mortality going.  I hate to use the word stupid, but is that not stupid?

:point:

16 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Why is this is an "either/or" scenario?  Why not work the issue on parallel fronts?  Work with the rec base to improve their handling of fish.  Implement practices and regulations that work to limit mortality.  In parallel, eliminate or reduce the practice of purposely killing a species which is trouble.

24 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Why is this is an "either/or" scenario?  Why not work the issue on parallel fronts?  Work with the rec base to improve their handling of fish.  Implement practices and regulations that work to limit mortality.  In parallel, eliminate or reduce the practice of purposely killing a species which is trouble.

Because then he wouldn’t be able to keep more for himself. 

28 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

You're right, it is not an either or scenario, but it is made to feel that way because catch and release fanatic's want to eliminate commercial fishing, even though catch and release kills 6x more fish than commercial fishing does.   The problem with your comment is you say "purposely" like killing a fish to eat is bad, but killing them as an unfortunate byproduct of enjoying their torture is good.

If it was up to me, we'd have a more editable one to one mortality ratio by putting restriction in place to limit the catch and release mortality down to a level that is equal to the commercial take.   Hopefully that would be enough to turn the fishery around and no one would even have to give up what may be the only naturally produced protein they consume.  

14 mins ago, z-man said:

Because then he wouldn’t be able to keep more for himself. 

On what planet is 250 thousand fish more than two million fish?  Commercial fishing kills about 250 thousand fish, catch and release kills almost two million.  But commercial fishing is the problem.  

14 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

So is C&R good or bad for the Striped Bass fishery?

It's one or the other.

It isn't one or the other.   Catch and Release is good for the fishery from the perspective that people have a vested interest in it and therefor will be inclined to protect it.   Its bad because there's no accountability for the large amount of fish they kill.