stripedbassking

Striped Bass Comm Fishing Proposal for Mass...... Definitely not good

Rate this topic

952 posts in this topic

It’s not only the bass I remember when the herring runs were so stacked you could walk across them. The bunker coming out of the bays you could just hear them hitting the hull of the boat leaving the harbors and never mind the endless oil slicks around. 

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

I think that this may backfire and it may lead to destroying fishery.

Lets say they missed quote by 25% this year so they will have 125% for next year

Now, they miss the quote again by 20% so 3rd year they will have 20% more but that would be another 25% on the 1st year.

Doing this, in the 4th year quota will be more than double than in the 1st year.

How that will will help?

The quota meaning in landings reduction where they would have to reduce the amount of bass culled the following year.  E.g. they were supposed to have an 18% reduction in 2021 but failed and only yielded a 15% reduction.  The 3% would be added to the 18% for a 2022 reduction in landings of 21% (18% + 3%).

12 hours ago, ged said:

It goes both ways. Just because “you can” do something doesn’t mean you should. I believe too many blame others (including the government) to avoid personal responsibility. 

For example, I “could” keep a slot size fish every trip. Would that be legal? Yes. Would that be ethical? I don’t think so. 

I could also spend $30 on a commercial bass permit and take another 15 fish a day on commercial days over slot. At some point you have to be honest to yourself about how your actions affect the world around you. I don’t want to relive the mistakes others have already made. 

We should not expect the government to make regulations for everything so we don’t have to think or act without a conscience.  

A true commercial fisherman should care about a sustainable fish stock more than a weekend angler. Their livelihood depends on it. Sadly, that is not generally their mindset currently with the striped bass. 

Well said

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Well said. Most of the commenters here want to further restrict the people that only kill 10% of the fish while ignoring those who kill 90% of the fish. 

That 10% is as important if not more then the others, the big breeder fish NEED to be saved

13 hours ago, PFallon said:

The Cape Cod Canal remains closed to commercial harvest. (This was not a conservation measure by MA DMF as it was initiated by the Army Corp of Engineers due to increasing conflicts on the property that they manage 

Not true. DMF and Army Corp allow an ever expanding group of natives to take numerous fish every day of the week to fill their boat permits. "Sustenance" fishing....freaking joke

This whole issue will sadly take us to a complete depletion of the population of bass as it has before,Over fishing has been going on for well over 50yrs on different species. Remember the Grand Banks fiasco that closed over 40 years ago and is still not back to normal.

Most people have a short memory,sadly . 

I've said this many times before, stripe bass should be a game fish over the whole area these fish migrate , buy out the commercial guys permits.  Best state for fish regulation I know is FL, every species is tightly  regulated. The snook is a great game fish,that is an  excellent eating fish,but it can;t be caught and sold for profit. Guess what, the snook population is thriving and fishing for them is great. Slot limits for the few people who want to keep one for the table.  Most fisherman C/R.

I know this concept is never going to be acceptable to many people,but the alternative is a closed fishery. I've fished  for stripe bass for over 50years and I won't see the end of the next closure. Fishing stinks now,lets get it back to great again.

19 hours ago, ged said:

Yup, but those fish swim to the Chesapeake and South in the winter where they are killed by other commercial fisherman. You do everything you can to blame recreational fisherman for the demise of the striped bess, yet you come in SOL and represent yourself as someone with a recreational voice, asking for help getting appointed to the New England Fisheries Council. 

I can’t make this up. You literally started a thread asking us to write letter a your supporting you because you “represent recreational fishing”. 

I will say this again, every commercial fisherman I know leaves in the morning hoping to kill their maximum limit of breeder stripers. I don’t know a single recreational fisherman that keeps a single day commercial limit in an entire year. Many recreational fisherman are strictly C&R for bass. 

According to your junk math and logic, if I buy a $30 commercial permit suddenly the fish I release will survive at a much higher rate than as a recreational fisherman. I mean, the table says that so it must be true. 

If you really believe that the group that kills 10% of the fish should be the focus of conservation efforts, you need to take a course in problem solving. Recreational fishermen own this problem and there is no denying it. 

As for representing recreational fishermen, I already do that. I'm a long time member of the Recreational advisory panel of the NEFMC. We got the recreational fishermen a dedicated share of the TAC for both cod and haddock. We got the cod season reinstated last year. This year we recommended eliminating the bag limit for recreational Haddock fishermen. 

Just because I try to represent recreational fisherman doesn't mean that I have blinders on when that group is responsible for a problem.

19 hours ago, ged said:

Gamefish status

That's a state by state issue. NJ, CT, NH and ME all prohibit the sale of wild caught striped bass, I don't know about the southern states.

19 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I think that this may backfire and it may lead to destroying fishery.

Lets say they missed quote by 25% this year so they will have 125% for next year

Now, they miss the quote again by 20% so 3rd year they will have 20% more but that would be another 25% on the 1st year.

Doing this, in the 4th year quota will be more than double than in the 1st year.

How that will will help?

Its done on a poundage basis, not percentages.

19 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

All I know is a lot of big fish were caught by the party boat fleet the past few years and you can’t revive a fish when you 5 feet above the water.    

But all of the fishermen on the party boats are recreational fishermen.

17 hours ago, jps1010 said:

The quota meaning in landings reduction where they would have to reduce the amount of bass culled the following year.  E.g. they were supposed to have an 18% reduction in 2021 but failed and only yielded a 15% reduction.  The 3% would be added to the 18% for a 2022 reduction in landings of 21% (18% + 3%).

Its all done in pounds not percentages.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, MakoMike said:

That's a state by state issue. NJ, CT, NH and ME all prohibit the sale of wild caught striped bass, I don't know about the southern states.

Take NJ out of that. They still use the commercial quota for their bonus tag so they get no credit for ‘gamefish’ status or no credit because sale is prohibited. Those fish are still harvested, just not commercially. In the end, they’re still dead. They might as well have kept the commercial fishery. 

CT was in the same boat until recently. They suspended their bonus program that utilized the commercial quota. 

Edited by Drew C.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Take NJ out of that. They still use the commercial quota for their bonus tag so they get no credit for ‘gamefish’ status or no credit because sale is prohibited. Those fish are still harvested, just not commercially. In the end, they’re still dead. They might as well have kept the commercial fishery. 

CT was in the same boat until recently. They suspended their bonus program that utilized the commercial quota. 

True enough, but the stripers still have "gamefish" status. Just shows how little "gamefish status" will do when the state regulators have the wrong attitude. 

Edited by MakoMike

17 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

That 10% is as important if not more then the others, the big breeder fish NEED to be saved

The slot sized fish are also breeder fish.

14 mins ago, MakoMike said:

True enough, but the stripers still have "gamefish" status. Just shows how little "gamefish status" will do when the state regulators have the wrong attitude. 

I’d prefer that NJ had kept their commercial fishery. At least they would be under a hard quota. Instead, you got the bull **** bonus tag debacle. Far worse.