stripedbassking

Striped Bass Comm Fishing Proposal for Mass...... Definitely not good

Rate this topic

952 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, willcodfish said:

Tim anyway to do  a thread everyone throws there name down and make it into an email petition or we gotta do it individually ..which isnt a problem.....just curious...would look good to have a whole group like a SOL to represent the opposition of the dumbasses proposal ..either way ill send an email with my 2 cents...tight lines all

That’s a great idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 mins ago, DaleG603 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the quota is not changing therefore more fish are not being taken. I also believe that Nov. 1st as a closure date might be a month sooner than previous years. 

So the parameters that have been set for pst years have caused these issues to come about, they have not met the quota in Years now, and they try like hell every year to Add more commercial days to fill the quota to keep harvest levels at a maximum. If they only fish 2 days and met the quota years ago and they are doing the exact same thing now and falling waaaaaay short there’s a huge problem. So allowing them to harvest 4 days a week to try and fill a quota that has fallen short the past few years is awful. If they want to have a commercial fishery they need to realize that the fish are not there anymore, the breeding stock is under tremendous pressure and if there’s to be a future there SHOULD NOT be a push to try and Max harvest to the quota. It’s horrible mismanagement. 
but back to the original question the quota wouldn’t change but allowing more time to harvest would Kill more fish. The November closure wouldn’t really matter because the big fish are mostly gone by then anyhow. And I’m sure if the quota wasn’t met by then they’d try and push the closure date anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

So the parameters that have been set for pst years have caused these issues to come about, they have not met the quota in Years now, and they try like hell every year to Add more commercial days to fill the quota to keep harvest levels at a maximum. If they only fish 2 days and met the quota years ago and they are doing the exact same thing now and falling waaaaaay short there’s a huge problem. So allowing them to harvest 4 days a week to try and fill a quota that has fallen short the past few years is awful. If they want to have a commercial fishery they need to realize that the fish are not there anymore, the breeding stock is under tremendous pressure and if there’s to be a future there SHOULD NOT be a push to try and Max harvest to the quota. It’s horrible mismanagement. 
but back to the original question the quota wouldn’t change but allowing more time to harvest would Kill more fish. The November closure wouldn’t really matter because the big fish are mostly gone by then anyhow. And I’m sure if the quota wasn’t met by then they’d try and push the closure date anyways.

Got it, thanks! I totally understand not and think it's complete BS as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaleG603 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the quota is not changing therefore more fish are not being taken. I also believe that Nov. 1st as a closure date might be a month sooner than previous years. 

right or wrong its about an over fished fishery already..if anything there should be motions to decrease comm..quota and or what i'd like to see is makem a gamefish for atleast 5 years and readjust to lowering comm..quotas and regs. for the average fishermen after the 5 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fishcrats came up with the quota as part of their management plan. Filling the quota has been accounted for so  what difference does it make if they fish 7 days a week and shut down when the quota is met?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pakalolo said:

The fishcrats came up with the quota as part of their management plan. Filling the quota has been accounted for so  what difference does it make if they fish 7 days a week and shut down when the quota is met?

They have killed about half the quote in the last two years so their not killed have lived. We need more fish to live to help the species long term. There a far better choices for commercial fish, at the market or the restaurant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, ged said:

We should not expect the government to make regulations for everything so we don’t have to think or act without a conscience.  

I would certainly agree here. They have showed time and again they are corrupt and incapable of any sort of effective management strategy. I obviously don't expect anything better now. All I can do is my little part, revive, release and hope there are enough conscientious dude's doing the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sandbar1 said:

I would certainly agree here. They have showed time and again they are corrupt and incapable of any sort of effective management strategy. I obviously don't expect anything better now. All I can do is my little part, revive, release and hope there are enough conscientious dude's doing the same.

Well said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are a lot of jokes about Florida, some are pretty funny. When it comes to managing fish they make us look pretty stupid. 

Edited by ged

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The proposal that came out of Thursday's meeting of the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission (MFAC) includes a likely start of the commercial season on June 16 and ending on Nov. 15. It would open with commercial harvest allowed 4 days per week and the go to 5 days on Sept. 15 and assuming that the quota was not yet met, to 7 days October 1.

 

The Cape Cod Canal remains closed to commercial harvest. (This was not a conservation measure by MA DMF as it was initiated by the Army Corp of Engineers due to increasing conflicts on the property that they manage and patrol.)

 

The Marine Fisheries Advisory Committee formed a sub-committee focused on commercial striped bass at their Oct. 29, 2020 meeting. Included in the meeting materials for last week's meeting of the MFAC were two items of note that did not come up in the discussion about the commercial striped bass season. One was a switch from dealer tagging to harvester tagging. The other was the question of exploring limited entry for this fishery as there are about 4,800 endorsements (commercial licenses) sold but according to dealer reports less than 25% of these permit holders are actively selling their catch.

 

I haven't seen any mention in any previous meeting of the MFAC of consideration for reducing the current commercial striped bass quota.

 

Reported landings for commercial striped bass have not reached the quota for the previous three years:

2018  89%

2019  67%

2020  52%

 

Anyone can provide feedback to MA DMF and Director McKiernan. How they weight that feedback based upon where you reside is up to them. It is logical to include mention of trips to Massachusetts to fish for striped bass if you live outside of the state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 mins ago, ged said:

It goes both ways. Just because “you can” do something doesn’t mean you should. I believe too many blame others (including the government) to avoid personal responsibility. 
 

For example, I “could” keep a slot size fish every trip. Would that be legal? Yes. Would that be ethical? I don’t think so. 
 

I could also spend $30 on a commercial bass permit and take another 15 fish a day on commercial days over slot. At some point you have to be honest to yourself about how your actions affect the world around you. I don’t want to relive the mistakes others have already made. 
 

We should not expect the government to make regulations for everything so we don’t have to think or act without a conscience.  
 

A true commercial fisherman should care about a sustainable fish stock more than a weekend angler. Their livelihood depends on it. Sadly, that is not generally their mindset currently with the striped bass. 

Nailed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't help but play the Devil's advocate here.

 

As some have already stated, Massachusetts commercial fishermen have a hard-poundage quota that is at least somewhat science-based.  Thus, they can at least argue that catching their entire quota will not harm the stock, and if they exceed their quota this year, they will have to pay back the overage in 2022.

 

At any rate, the last benchmark stock assessment found that the entire coastwide commercial fishery, with landings and dead discards combined, only causes 10% of overall striped bass fishing mortality.

 

On the other hand, there is no recreational quota at all, even though 90% of striped bass fishing mortality is attributable to anglers.  We only have a bag and slot limits, and seasons in some states, that when taken together have only a 41% probability of reducing fishing mortality back to the target level (thanks largely to special, allegedly "conservation equivalent" regulations adopted by New Jersey and Maryland.  

 

This year, the big 2014 (in the Hudson) and 2015 year classes will start moving into the 28-35" slot this year, and recreational landings are expected to spike as a result, and will continue to do so over the next couple of years.  

 

So my question for those who oppse the proposed Massachusetts regulations is this:  What meaures do you propose to keep recreational striped bass landings, in Massachusetts and elesewhere, from increasing from their already high (compared to commercial) levels this year, and what do you propose to hold anglers accountable--particularly in conservationally-equivalent New Jersey and Massachusetts--if they don't achieve an 18% landings reduction?

 

Because, in the end, it is anglers who do most of the harm.  The commercial fishery is only a small part of the problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.