stripedbassking

Striped Bass Comm Fishing Proposal for Mass...... Definitely not good

Rate this topic

537 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, ged said:

The slot in MA is 1 fish at 28”-under 35”. No commercial fishing the canal. 

I've seen the shenanigans that transpire at the Ditch. People taking fish to cars, then going back and taking more. Poachers in league with commercial guys...Technically, commercial fishing is forbidden, but that's not reality. We all know it. I've seen it.

8 mins ago, RockRonin said:

I've seen the shenanigans that transpire at the Ditch. People taking fish to cars, then going back and taking more. Poachers in league with commercial guys...Technically, commercial fishing is forbidden, but that's not reality. We all know it. I've seen it.

It has only been restricted since 2020. I didn’t see a single person commercial fish or keep an over slot fish in 2020 at the canal, and 90% of my fishing is there. 

Just now, RockRonin said:

I was only up to the ditch twice last year, what I was relating pertained to years previous.

It was nice with no commercial guys around. Some morning were quiet. 

1 min ago, ged said:

It was nice with no commercial guys around. Some morning were quiet. 

Yeah, both times I went last year it was far more sedate than years prior...even at Area51 if you can believe it(not that I fished that spot at "prime time").

15 hours ago, RockRonin said:

I mention those two areas because that's where the bulk of the big breeders are being harvested. Also, commercial moratorium. 100% of all keeper size stripers are harvested by the Comms. I kept 2 last year, which amounts to less than 1% mortality of my total catch. See what I'm saying? I've seen hundreds of cows harvested in the canal at a time. We just don't get those number on the Jersey shore or on LI. I fish a lot in the NE, and I don't see anywhere near the fish taken in the size and numbers that I see in the CCC anywhere else. Should I believe you...or my lying eyes?

Yeah, there are no big fish around Block Island or in Raritan bay just before the Hudson River spawn, or in the Hudson river?

On 2/5/2021 at 9:39 PM, ged said:

. No commercial fishing the canal. 

Plenty of commercial  fishing in canal last year. EPOs and Army Corp allowed the "natives" to keep whatever and whenever they wanted to fill there 15 fish boat limits. If fishing was good, extra fish were moved to other permits

It's hard to take in. I was listening to the recent conference on proposed changes to fishery and it was nice to see all the support from other recreational fisherman. We all think similarly and want this fish to be around for a long time. Not sure if restriction of harvesting will ever happen unless we reach extremely low stock levels

On 1/31/2021 at 5:43 PM, Drew C. said:

It doesn't matter what I think, or what you think. It only matters what the asmfc does with their data and how they use it (or don't use it...) and ultimately how they manage the resource. It's all right there in black and white. You can bitch and whine all you want but it still doesn't matter.

But to answer your question - I think they killed far more than that when you consider release mortality. For every 11 fish that one catches and releases, at least one dies. Before I quit bass fishing I didn't keep a single fish the last 7 or so years that I fished but I still killed over a 100 of them. I don't doubt that for a second.

your doing something awful wrong if your killing that many fish by accident...good thing you quit bass fishing something wasnt going right..lol ...what kinda fish are you killing on accident now....if a fisherman cant take time to revive before release then they shouldnt be a fisherman....ive caught alot a fish over my years and very very few have been released floating away...if theyre dying theyre dying out to sea somewhere.if it was one outa eleven we'd be seeing alot more fish floating by...not saying it doesnt happen just think numbers are a bit off..rat to linesider should be revived the same way before you let them swim away ,,no need for the quick release..you relax after a fight ... why not let the fish do the same....

1 hour ago, TonyO said:

Plenty of commercial  fishing in canal last year. EPOs and Army Corp allowed the "natives" to keep whatever and whenever they wanted to fill there 15 fish boat limits. If fishing was good, extra fish were moved to other permits

I guess we define “plenty” differently. I saw a significant difference after commercial fishing was restricted. Natives have “special” rules. 

1 hour ago, willcodfish said:

your doing something awful wrong if your killing that many fish by accident...good thing you quit bass fishing something wasnt going right..lol ...what kinda fish are you killing on accident now....if a fisherman cant take time to revive before release then they shouldnt be a fisherman....ive caught alot a fish over my years and very very few have been released floating away...if theyre dying theyre dying out to sea somewhere.if it was one outa eleven we'd be seeing alot more fish floating by...not saying it doesnt happen just think numbers are a bit off..rat to linesider should be revived the same way before you let them swim away ,,no need for the quick release..you relax after a fight ... why not let the fish do the same....

Well, you're proving your cluelessness on the topic if you don't know how/why I picked that number...

Maybe get informed on the topic before participating? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Well, you're proving your cluelessness on the topic if you don't know how/why I picked that number...

Maybe get informed on the topic before participating? 

the old adage believe half of what you read none of what you hear..much like you said" you killed a 100 fish off.in your last 7 yrs of bass fishing" by accident i assumed...im going by my catch and release rate ...unless your the guy whos head of research your numbers are just like mine..theyre opinion numbers...so mr.clueless one.....maybe you should  read what you wrote ...like i said not saying it doesnt happen just think the numbers are bull sheet...p.s....i know with confidence  i havent killed off a 100 fish for lack of proper release practices..oh clueless one...you should look up the topic on proprer catch and release....

Edited by willcodfish

On 2/4/2021 at 6:27 AM, CWitek said:

First lesson:  A focus on process is how you avoid having to focus on substance.

But two things happened:  The Management Board demonstrated its hurry to get the PID out quickly, rather than right, and anglers who complained about circle hooks and pork rind, rigged eels, etc. got their state managers' attention--and succeeded in delaying circle hook implementation in many, if not all, states.

The board has been beating the PID to death for many months. The original timeline for getting it out for public review was October 2020 so I would not say it was hurried out. Now it will go out for public comment so it isn’t even close to being final. 
There was no motions approved to stop implementation of the circle hook requirement except for allowing the tube and worm. States are already in the process of putting the circle hook requirement in place per the requirement. There was nothing said that they could stop. If any change occur in March the states can add the exceptions if they have the time and desire. 

44 mins ago, willcodfish said:

the old adage believe half of what you read none of what you hear..much like you said" you killed a 100 fish off.in your last 7 yrs of bass fishing" by accident i assumed...im going by my catch and release rate ...unless your the guy whos head of research your numbers are just like mine..theyre opinion numbers...so mr.clueless one.....maybe you should  read what you wrote ...like i said not saying it doesnt happen just think the numbers are bull sheet...p.s....i know with confidence  i havent killed off a 100 fish for lack of proper release practices..oh clueless one...you should look up the topic on proprer catch and release....

If you had bothered to attend the last striped bass board meeting you would have discovered that really doesn't make much o a difference in whatever number is assumed for release mortality. Higher or lower still results in the same results, e.g. they are overfished and overfishing is occurring.