Striped Bass Comm Fishing Proposal for Mass...... Definitely not good

Rate this topic

stripedbassking

On 1/31/2021 at 7:21 PM, BDigital said:

Are you saying that the 90-10 doesn't represent each individual state? I believe each state would be different, but all we have to go by is this chart. I think it would ease most of the rec guys if we knew what data went into these numbers. Because I cannot think of how they could record the amount of fish taken by recs other than assumption. I would be interested in the breakdown of shore vs boat recs. Also maybe a poll here about who keeps fish and how many are kept would also give us an understanding of your typical rec fisherman. 

I kept 2 this year. Caught about 200 and only 1 of the fish I released was remotely sketchy.

7 hours ago, RockRonin said:

I kept 2 this year. Caught about 200 and only 1 of the fish I released was remotely sketchy.

And yet they still try to push that the release mortality is so huge, when in fact when done correctly it’s probably less then they figure 

GOD made my Mold different from the rest, Then he broke that mold so I know I'm Blessed.

12 hours ago, ged said:

Don’t get upset Drew. That was a joke. Using a statistic to say statistics are junk. 

The pro commercial guy claiming to be a recreational voice will have influence on ground fish, and after all the bass are gone dogfish and skates is all we will have left and he will feel more important. 

I am in favor of saving bass. I would support no harvest, rec or comm. 

those guys are the best help me be the voice for you guys while I f-ck you from behind. How about we check the places that ended commercially harvesting of a fish and see how the fish made a comeback. It’s cute tho grown man believing everything government or a government agency tells them. These are the numbers that are garbage now believe it as gospel and spread it as it’s the truth. Hogwash. 

There is way to tell how many released fish die,I don't know anyone who has been asked to respond a survey about fish caught and killed when released. 4 or 5 yrs ago I attended several meetings with the dept of fisheries about the issue of bass conservation. The government employees had no idea what they were talking about and it was obvious to all attending.  Most of us left these meeting very disappointed to say the least.  This is the group making policy for the fish conservation. God help us.

22 mins ago, John P said:

This is the group making policy for the fish conservation. God help us.

This has been a talk for last few years.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

3 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

And yet they still try to push that the release mortality is so huge, when in fact when done correctly it’s probably less then they figure 

I agree. I have been fishing for stripers for over 20 years. In that time I have kept and ate only one fish. The rest were all released and I never once saw one that went belly up or washed up on shore. Maybe a few died later or got eaten by a seal but in no way is it anywhere near 9% release mortality. Maybe down south in warm water fishing bait on a party boat the mortality rate is that high but it certainly isn’t coast wide by all anglers. 

It’s sad what y’all up north are dealing with. I’m studying Fisheries Biology and I want nothing more than to manage fisheries properly to conserve them for future generations. I want to help the environment, help the fisherman, help the dreaming children, everyone. This shouldn’t be a one sided debate. 

Best of luck to all of you. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

16 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

End and outlaw commercial fishery and party boats for stripers.  Make C&R law for private recs (boat or shore) and for-hire charters.  Striped bass is a fine tasting fish but there are others that are much better.  The big ones are not worth eating.  Party boats C&R is a joke, plus people go on party boats for meat only.  I went on party boats with Pops as a kid, but I've hated those damn things for a long long time. The only fish I keep are ones that I know won't make it, but I'll reluctantly throw a dying fish back if I know C&R is being heavily enforced.  And I'm a huge supporter of circle hooks.  Make them a game fish!

Making stripers a gamefish is nothing more than a resource grab by the rec sector. See NJ as an example!  The commercial quota was given to the recs resulting in the same number of harvested fish , but at least the commercial guys took over a hit .

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

Gamefish status should be implemented immediately for striped bass . My son and i fish from south jersey to Mass what we spend on rooms , fuel , tackle , food and gas in a year adds up to thousands of dollars and there are thousands just like us , i believe more money is generated by the recreational fisherman as it relates to the striped bass could i be wrong gentleman ?

2 hours ago, T Chief said:

Gamefish status should be implemented immediately for striped bass . My son and i fish from south jersey to Mass what we spend on rooms , fuel , tackle , food and gas in a year adds up to thousands of dollars and there are thousands just like us , i believe more money is generated by the recreational fisherman as it relates to the striped bass could i be wrong gentleman ?

Your totally right! The Rec sector is where the money is. Hope that you’ll email in so that there will be striped bass for your sons future and for his kids someday!

GOD made my Mold different from the rest, Then he broke that mold so I know I'm Blessed.

yes recreational fishing is were the money is at and that is why were we are at today.In the 10 years i worked at a popular tackle shop i would have to say more than 90 percent of those who came into the shop were after a meal.if you want to save thebass recreational fisherman have to a limit on total kill just as commercial have a quota.

21 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

It’s sad what y’all up north are dealing with. I’m studying Fisheries Biology and I want nothing more than to manage fisheries properly to conserve them for future generations. I want to help the environment, help the fisherman, help the dreaming children, everyone. This shouldn’t be a one sided debate. 

Best of luck to all of you. 

You have your problems down there, too.

Louisiana is having real trouble with speckled trout, but is getting a lot of resistance to changing its 12" minimum and 25-fish bag limit, even though the stock has been overfished for years.

And out in the Gulf, groups like the Coastal Conservation Association is blowing a lot of smoke trying to discredit federal fisheries managers, in order to continue overfishing red snapper.

Wherever you go, you see the same issues, just different players.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

1 hour ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

yes recreational fishing is were the money is at and that is why were we are at today.In the 10 years i worked at a popular tackle shop i would have to say more than 90 percent of those who came into the shop were after a meal.if you want to save thebass recreational fisherman have to a limit on total kill just as commercial have a quota.

And this, in the end, is the answer.

Whether or not striped bass is a "gamefish," without a hard poundage quota on the recreational sector, we'll always be chasing our tails.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams