Mullet question..

Rate this topic

levari

The best way to catch them is with a cast net. I believe a gill net is illegal. They are in all the boat canals. Finger mullet are the best if you are fishing inshore. I also do good when I chunk the big ones off the beach. You never know what will hit it. Make sure your holding your rod or have it dug in the sand spike real good.

LIBBA #1109
SOL #836
MSA #1109
Take your son fishing and you will never have to go fishing for your son.

17 mins ago, Mike T said:

The best way to catch them is with a cast net. I believe a gill net is illegal. They are in all the boat canals. Finger mullet are the best if you are fishing inshore. I also do good when I chunk the big ones off the beach. You never know what will hit it. Make sure your holding your rod or have it dug in the sand spike real good.

I have a cast net. Where would I find them this time of year? Harbors? Surf? Inlets? Do you see them on top? blind throws?

Rivers, harbors and like the finger canals in neighbor hoods where people keep their boats. Only once I saw them in the ocean, lots of them. On the west coast there are a lot in the Gulf but don`t waste time catching then there. Too hard. Use polarized sun glasses and walk on the bulkhead real slow. They spook easy. Look for a school.

LIBBA #1109
SOL #836
MSA #1109
Take your son fishing and you will never have to go fishing for your son.

8 mins ago, levari said:

Mesh size 1/2”

That will be fine for fingers but you'll be cussing a lot throwing at eaters with less than 1" square mesh. Finger mullet like small creek mouths a lot.

If you see where a rain runoff gutter dumps into the bay check it out. They will orient to the smallest little freshwater in flows.

Edited by TheSuperApe

(*member formerly known as 'Badtothebugs')

50 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

That will be fine for fingers but you'll be cussing a lot throwing at eaters with less than 1" square mesh. Finger mullet like small creek mouths a lot.

I have 2 other nets. 1 1/4” and one I believe is 1/4” but I am not sure about that one. 

I am new to FL. In Jersey I used the 1 1/4” to get the bunkers. It’s too big for the mullet.

Edited by levari

1 hour ago, levari said:

I have 2 other nets. 1 1/4” and one I believe is 1/4” but I am not sure about that one. 

I am new to FL. In Jersey I used the 1 1/4” to get the bunkers. It’s too big for the mullet.

That 1 1/4" would be great for bigger mullet in deep water. But 1/2" is my favorite for finger mullet so you should be set there. Did you move to florida recently? Or visiting?

(*member formerly known as 'Badtothebugs')