RAW

Kastmaster and other metal lures holograph tape

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

These are examples of holographic tapes I used on trolling flashers for salmon. With Kastmasters and other metal lures getting pricey or not same quality I started redoing, new hooks and rings and filing metal smooth , Tapes can be turned in different directions to create scale looks, The silver is my best producer and much more reflective than a new one, certainly your beat up ones.

IMG_1638 (1).jpg

2 mins ago, oc1 said:

kastmasterB.jpg

kastmasterC.jpg

kastmasterT.jpg

Pretty slick idea cutting the round stock into flat shape like that. Might have to steal that and mess around with it . I likes 

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Got any pics of taped Kastmasters?

Where are u getting the tape?

Google WTP they got nice stuff. Terminal tackle used to have nice stock of it . Been using long time 

24 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Google WTP they got nice stuff. Terminal tackle used to have nice stock of it . Been using long time 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Got any pics of taped Kastmasters?

Where are u getting the tape?

google salmon flasher tape, trolling spoon tape

2 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

I googled WTP and I learned a new song. LOL. The lyrics are catchy, and easy to remember!

Better with nail foil. Buy a t shirt press online and go to it. You can foil old lures like rebels and atoms. 

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Pretty slick idea cutting the round stock into flat shape like that. Might have to steal that and mess around with it . I likes 

I'm pretty sure that is how Kastmaster does it as well as the old Weber Mr. Champ.  It's not really flat because one end is thicker than the other so it doesn't tumble in the air. 

Weber and, I think, Kastmaster is chrome over brass.  The raw brass will tarnish the first time it's used.  The reflective tape is easier than paint or a clear coat.

You have to admit, few lures cast as well as a Kastmaster.

Edited by oc1

from On the Water:

Art Lavallee was born in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1918. He grew up an avid fisherman, but like so many young Americans of his generation, his life and passions were put on hold during World War II. Upon his return to the States, Lavallee picked up right where he left off with his fishing pursuits. He was a skilled freshwater fisherman, and in 1947, he landed an 8-pound, 12-ounce largemouth bass that broke the Rhode Island state record. However, when he landed his first striped bass in salt water, he was hooked for life. Striper fishing became his foremost pursuit.

In 1949, Art and his brother Al formed the Spencer Plating Company, polishing and electroplating jewelry. Art liked to tinker with some of the pieces of jewelry, bending and changing their shapes to see if they might be made useful as fishing lures. After success with some modified creations, Art decided to enter the fishing tackle business. In 1952, he and his brother founded the Acme Tackle Company.

“Their first spoon was the Fiord,” said Kurt Kellogg, owner of Uncle Josh/Hard and Soft Lure Company, which acquired the rights to Acme Tackle in 2013. “That was the first spoon they made. Then they got hooked up with Engineering Design Associates (EDA), which is actually the firm that designed the Kastmaster.”

Initially, the lure wasn’t called Kastmaster; it had been dubbed the Splune. Acme entered a royalty agreement with EDA for the rights to manufacture and sell the lure. The Lavallees began testing and experimenting with the Splune, tweaking the design on the workbench. They modified the lure by elongating it to create a more pronounced side-to-side darting action. Then, they added a high quality, jewelry-like finish and gave it a new name. The modified design would become the most popular lure Acme ever sold, the Kastmaster.