osprey47

Fundraising for a fishermans son

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the place to post it here if not I'm sure the SO police will be quick on the case, but regardless

One of my longtime fishing friends whom I'll not name for family privacy reasons as this is a sensitive subject as you'll see below ,    well his 13 year old son sent me a text yesterday that caught me completely off guard. For some unknown reason to us all his dad killed himself on Wednesday. He was the most dedicated and proud dad you will ever meet,  loved LOVED taking his son out on the waters off Pt Judith all summer, his son very matter of factly stated that he wants to get his captains license and run a charter one day. My last trip with my friend he talked about his battle with depression and I made it a point to tell him how much that would crush his son if he ever did anything like that and his exact words were "I would never do that to (His sons name, withheld for privacy purposes) "   Yet here we are.   I am devastated for this kid, I can't even imagine,  I spent the whole night trying to think of anything I can possibly do to even attempt to heal the wounds that this is going to leave behind for the kid.  considering his deep love for fishing and fishing in this area I have decided to try and reach out to local fisherman to gather together a care pack to get to him.    If you are interested in helping out in any way, I am not looking to send the kid money, money and all those fundraise sites make it feel so impersonal, I feel like if we can send out a package of something from the one thing he loves to do, that would mean a lot to him.        If interested send me a message on here and ill arrange the details.    

Great thing your doing here.  Anything you need help with getting I can get for you, just let me know.  What sort of thing would be included in this care package? 

16 mins ago, t_man7 said:

Great thing your doing here.  Anything you need help with getting I can get for you, just let me know.  What sort of thing would be included in this care package? 

Honestly whatever anyone thinks a 13 year old kid that loves fishing would enjoy. I am going to start working to see if I can't get one of the captains course classes to do something for him as well  since that is his dream

6 mins ago, osprey47 said:

Honestly whatever anyone thinks a 13 year old kid that loves fishing would enjoy. I am going to start working to see if I can't get one of the captains course classes to do something for him as well  since that is his dream

Soundns good, im about 14 myself.  

That is terrible to hear.  Sad for the father who felt like that was his only option and i cant imagine the pain for the kid. I am happy to contribute.  Shoot me a pm with your  address and i can send out a plug and some teasers. If other items would be more beneficial happy to help.

5 hours ago, Kooky said:

That is terrible to hear.  Sad for the father who felt like that was his only option and i cant imagine the pain for the kid. I am happy to contribute.  Shoot me a pm with your  address and i can send out a plug and some teasers. If other items would be more beneficial happy to help.

PM sent  thank you again!    Agreed on the sentiment that its sad when people think that is their only option. I am really shaken up on two counts myself that 1. I  JUST talked to him about a plug I put together, had to have been only hours before it happened, NO signs of anything wrong going on  and 2. Our last fishing trip we talked about depression and he swore he could never do "that" to his son,   those words kept running thru my head all night and trying to micro analyze every word to see if I missed something.   I put him on his first Tautog this fall and the guy was happier than you can ever imagine couldn't wait to have his son back from his winter w/ mom  to fish again in the summer with us

1 hour ago, z-man said:

What types of fishing does the kid typically do? Surf, boat, freshwater? I can send you some lures to give him. 

He mostly fishes from surf/piers 

On 1/30/2021 at 2:18 PM, osprey47 said:

He mostly fishes from surf/piers 

PM me your address and I’ll mail you a box of lures. 

Pm sent to both   i am really thankful to everyone who has been donating  and the extreme lengths everyone has gone   i plan to give everythin to him two weeks from this Saturday (2/20)   to allow time for everyone's stuff to arrive     in case anyone reads this further down the road   i mean i will still gladly give him any donations but it would feel kind of awkward to keep giving a thing here and there  i feel like giving them all to him at once is just more  appropriate?  Trying to find the word here  help me out folks haha!

3 hours ago, z-man said:

You might want to post this in the main forum too. It will get a lot more views. 

Ill let the mods decid what to do i agree that i should have posted there in hindsight   but  if i post it now ill probably get yelled at for double posts   so ill let the mods tell me what to do here

You can report to the post and ask a mod if they can move it to the main forum. I think you would be amazed at the charity that this website members have.

I hope to get mine out either saturday or tuesday.