surfcast

Balloon Fishing ?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Was recently watching some videos, on balloon fishing. Was thinking of giving it a try, there are a few places close to me where it would be an advantage. I looked online and found a vendor that has a biodegradable product. I contacted him and raised the

question, how long does it take to degrade. He replied they start to degrade, as soon as you blow them up. It will take approximately

eight weeks to completely break down, depending on temperature and light exposure. I am not feeling good about introducing that type of stuff into the ocean. What are your thoughts on this good bad ugly?          

I personally think that there is a potential for bad things can happen to birds  (maybe fish too?) in those two weeks. I'd pass.

That timeline gives birds, marine mammals, turtles, etc. far too much time to eat the remains.

The number of balloons that are floating around offshore is disgusting.  I can often fill my very large fishbox and not get all that I see in a day.

I don't think birds would be affected, as there would be no monofilament or cordage

attached. I don't see how fish could get caught up in it. The only thing would be turtles, but in 40 years of fishing I have only seen loggerhead once any were in the immediate area. 

Saw a guy floating eels under a balloon during the day with no luck but it caught my interest. Why not put a balloon on a slider between two loose fitting weight stops rather than having a quick release. No harm no foul? 

It amazes and shocks me how many Birthday balloons I see. Also, masks, I see more masks than Dunkin cups.

Used balloons for drifting crabs to permit or tarpon, If I can get back to SWFL this spring I will drift them for snook.

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

5 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Saw a guy floating eels under a balloon during the day with no luck but it caught my interest. Why not put a balloon on a slider between two loose fitting weight stops rather than having a quick release. No harm no foul? 

I was not going to put bait, I was going to put something like what I show below.

My hope is to drift it out to deep water and sink it than retrieve. The sell a system, that can hold the balloon without loosing it. I wish there was a way to pop it and retrieve it. 

https://steelshad.com/swimbait-6-inch-pearl-3pk/?gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-j-UPJ08AOSEsKV_HEjNjfTmVOchv5BdGXa-0xbs5m6h2zS3ADawPZxoCyMYQAvD_BwE

11 mins ago, surfcast said:

The sell a system, that can hold the balloon without loosing it. I wish there was a way to pop it and retrieve it. 

air rifle lol

31 mins ago, surfcast said:

I was not going to put bait, I was going to put something like what I show below.

My hope is to drift it out to deep water and sink it than retrieve. The sell a system, that can hold the balloon without loosing it. I wish there was a way to pop it and retrieve it. 

https://steelshad.com/swimbait-6-inch-pearl-3pk/?gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-j-UPJ08AOSEsKV_HEjNjfTmVOchv5BdGXa-0xbs5m6h2zS3ADawPZxoCyMYQAvD_BwE

Why not use a bobber for this? The balloon is used to float heavier things like bait. To each his own. But I wouldnt waist my time rigging a balloon for a soft plastic. You should be able to properly weight these plastics to achieve the same goal. 

This whole idea just sounds like another thing that will leave our beaches and oceans even more polluted with the debris left behind by careless fishermen.. hooks, line, soft plastic bodies etc.. thats not enough? Now we've gotta start floating out our soft plastics with balloons? Even if YOU look for biodegradable balloons, you think everyone will when a big bag of regular baloons is .99¢.. no way.... Zero chance.. 

Bad idea..

Also, as @CWitek commented above, 8 WEEKS (2 months) is more than enough time for that baloon to kill sea life.. yes, birds included. Regardless of string

You may have only seen 1 sea turtle, but I see them almost every week out in the blue, where they live.. and where would you image your discarded balloon would drift to? Its just going to stay inshore and avoid turtles?.. I have actually saved one that was entangled in the very same topic were discussing here, balloons.. one of my most gratifying days on the water ever, and we caught zero fish. Poor thing had someone's entire congratulations!!! Balloon bundle in tow as it made its way across the surface. Very very sad thing to see.. seeing that once SHOULD be enough to change anyone's view pollution.

I know you claim there will be no string to entangle them, but string is only part of the problem..  what happens when that balloon pops, and then drifts around fluttering enticingly in the ocean.. now stuff eats it. Fish, sea turtles, dolphins, whales.. you name it, anything can make a meal of a deflated balloon fluttering around in the water.. no one would ever confuse a plastic shopping bag and a jellyfish while on land, but have you ever seen how similarly that plastic bag and a jellyfish appear underwater?  No wonder poor sea creatures wash up dead with plastic blockages inside them..

And why wouldn't birds eat it? Once deflated, it could appear to them as any variety of things that may be otherwise edible.. we've all seen dead birds on the beach, do you have any idea how many of those birds died because of human pollution. Bellies full of impassable plastic pieces, wings and legs restrained by remnants of discarded line, swallowed hooks... No one looks at this, it's the inconvenient truth about our our pastime/sport/habit that it has an untolled environmental impact far beyond what we like to monitor, the fish stocks. 

Again.. this is a bad idea.. balloons should be outlawed just as they have with plastic shopping bags, they literally serve no purpose and almost always wind up as pollution.. 

If you feel the need to drift out a soft plastic, regardless of how absurd that sounds, consider doing so on a dried up chunk of driftwood..

I'm sorry if this pov seems harsh, but its less an opinion and more the factual way in which your balloons would impact the ocean we all claim to love so much..

I've never understood the balloon thing.  

Why not a bobber?  Is it a wind thing where the balloon catches the wind and drifts?