Jimo95

Reel that can take a good splash in surf under $400

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Id be looking for a used van staal if you wanna spend that much. The reel youd need for a rod that small you can easily find used for that price. Especially if its only splashes and you go with a VR instead of a VS.

If not id go slammer. Heard of way too many failures with the salt x for me to ever spend the money on one. Not worth the price at all for what youre getting imo

1 hour ago, MAGA said:

Saragosa's probably the best you'll do for your budget, but most reels can take splashes. I have an old Daiwa. You just rinse with freshwater and service when the season is over. 

If your not looking to fish an old school coffee grinder or spend VS level money than a Gosa or Slammer is the best bet.

SlammerIII 4500. It'll take heavy splashes, occasional dunking and after 3 1/2 seasons of hard use, all I've ever done is rinse and lube. I've taken bass up to 35lbs with mine and it's no worse for the wear.

For an 8’6” rod, I’d have to agree that a Slammer III 4500 would serve you well.  I’m also a big Saragosa fan, though I think they’d be a bit on the larger side on an 8’6” rod.

15 mins ago, Water Dog said:

For an 8’6” rod, I’d have to agree that a Slammer III 4500 would serve you well.  I’m also a big Saragosa fan, though I think they’d be a bit on the larger side on an 8’6” rod.

He’s got a point on the size, why not look at Stradic FL?? Splash resistant all day and a super sweet reel. 

Slammer 3 4500. Once you hook something big and feel that drag work, nothing else is needed.

I have a Penn Slammer III 4500. I don't surf fish with it but it's taken a lot of spray from boat trips and is still like the day I got it. (one season old).