dannyplug1

How far can you cast in the surf?

Rate this topic

170 posts in this topic

I am bored at work.  Wondering how many feet can you cast in the surf?  Suppose your using a super strike popper.\, as opposed to a metal lip.  just curious at work thanks charlie

A lot of anglers will say "400 feet."  That's 135 yards.  Maybe one out of 500 can really do it .... me, I'd say maybe half that, on a good day.

Been wondering this as well. Got into a pencil popper bite last summer and could only get hit if I had a “Herculean” cast. Call it 1 outta 4. 
Using google earth it looks to be ~300’. 
Had to deploy the golf swing theory that 80% effort goes further than 100%. If I went 100% agro on it, it would do a fair bit of tumbling before trueing up mid flight. 

also played with:

Trying to keep right arm extended for a bigger arch. (Right handed)
Swinging the plug straight back instead of hanging down off top. 
Stepping fwd with left foot. 

been wanting to head to the local football field to test different casting styles as well as which plugs cast better. 

VS 250

Lami 1322

KR guide set up with Ti guides. 
GooGo Pencil with chunk of lead in the ass did well. 

39 mins ago, BrianBM said:

A lot of anglers will say "400 feet."  That's 135 yards.  Maybe one out of 500 can really do it .... me, I'd say maybe half that, on a good day.

I'd say that is a fair statement, distance is overrated MOST of the time, sometimes it is a necessity. Not important to me MOST of the time. And I NEVER concern myself, just move along if I need to get out more than I can toss the lure.

Posted (edited)

34 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

I'd say that is a fair statement, distance is overrated MOST of the time, sometimes it is a necessity. Not important to me MOST of the time. And I NEVER concern myself, just move along if I need to get out more than I can toss the lure.

I don't think distance is overrated, I think that the vast majority of anglers vastly overestimate the distances which they are achieving. If you can hit that 400 feet with a Little Neck swimmer, Heaven bless you and you'll catch fish I can't reach. Whether you need it, on any given occasion, depends on beach structure (or the lack thereof).

Most of us have had occasion to gaze longingly at breaks in a bar that's notably farther from shore than we can cast. If I had a fish for every such occasion ... well, I'd have eaten a lot more fish.  :)

Edited by BrianBM