ScottO

Next Great Outbreak Set for Summer

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Brood X's 17 year cycle occurs this summer.  Apparently one the largest geographical areas, mid-Atlantic to northeast to midwest.  80-100dB's average - May/June time line.  Woo Hoo!!!!  Free food for everyone!!

Pretty sure locusts are on a 17 year cycle...so I’m guessing this has to do with locusts? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Red eyed cicada emerg this year.

And the coinciding 2" long cicada eating bees are a sight to see!!!

Edited by TBYRD

I am assuming this is referring to this years Cicada hatch.  If you can book a float trip on the Green River at Flaming Gorge late May.  Dad and I did that trip twice.  Casting huge dries is a blast.  Still have a box of them downstairs.

Cabo

Meh

There are like 14 different broods of 17 year cicadas.  Add in three broods of 13 year cicadas.  Add in annual cicadas.   Likely to be a cicada swarm somewhere most years.

Yeah brood X (10) is one that covers a larger area where many people live.  But so what......

Waiting for news articles on this to mention global warming or climate change somehow - despite the fact that they have been doing these amazingly long cycles for eons.  

12 mins ago, Cabo2005 said:

I am assuming this is referring to this years Cicada hatch.  If you can book a float trip on the Green River at Flaming Gorge late May.  Dad and I did that trip twice.  Casting huge dries is a blast.  Still have a box of them downstairs.

Cabo

Did that trip with Dubs...the trout were so easy to catch we bailed after three days/nights and fished the Flaming Gorge reservoir for a few days then drove around fishing other reservoirs in the area. The trout in the Green River gotta be the dumbest on the planet....but if you wanna get yer fly rod bent, it’s definitely worth doing once :) Caught every kind of trout you can imagine - rainbow, cutbow, cutthroat, brown, brook, golden, tiger....and every conceivable hybrid. Everybody goes there to fish dry flies...the trout act like they’ve never seen a nymph. It was kinda cool catching 3# trout on size 22 bugs...but they were just so dumb. The cicada would be about the only thing to get me back there...all those trout running into all those giant bugs must be a sight to see...

28 mins ago, TimS said:

Did that trip with Dubs...the trout were so easy to catch we bailed after three days/nights and fished the Flaming Gorge reservoir for a few days then drove around fishing other reservoirs in the area. The trout in the Green River gotta be the dumbest on the planet....but if you wanna get yer fly rod bent, it’s definitely worth doing once :) Caught every kind of trout you can imagine - rainbow, cutbow, cutthroat, brown, brook, golden, tiger....and every conceivable hybrid. Everybody goes there to fish dry flies...the trout act like they’ve never seen a nymph. It was kinda cool catching 3# trout on size 22 bugs...but they were just so dumb. The cicada would be about the only thing to get me back there...all those trout running into all those giant bugs must be a sight to see...

The scenery is worth a trip.

601181677ebd1_misc064.jpg.f8611f7e3429a4a03f207bda562119f6.jpg

Cabo

Just now, Cabo2005 said:

The scenery is worth a trip.

601181677ebd1_misc064.jpg.f8611f7e3429a4a03f207bda562119f6.jpg

Cabo

It was gorgeous :th: Even though the local moose population tried to kill us most nights driving off the mountain...they kept running across the damn road :scared:

On 1/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, ScottO said:

Brood X's 17 year cycle occurs this summer.  Apparently one the largest geographical areas, mid-Atlantic to northeast to midwest.  80-100dB's average - May/June time line.  Woo Hoo!!!!  Free food for everyone!!

Whoa... I thought it was locust AND THEN the plague. It’s all backwards.