BrianBM

Butterflied bunker.

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

People liveline bunker. People cut bunker into chunks. What about butterflying bunker?

I've seen "butterflied" used to mean different things. What I mean is taking your bunker, cutting out the spine so as to leave two big flaps of meat, and either drifting or trolling the bunker. Bunker is soft, so you'd want to essentially pickle the fish, burying it in kosher or other non-iodized salt, and freezing it  until use. The salt brine would firm up the fish. I've done this with mackerel, waaay back when LI Sound had mackerel. This lends itself to a two-hook rig, one in the nose and the other in one of the meat flaps.

Anybody do this with bunker??

55 mins ago, BrianBM said:

People liveline bunker. People cut bunker into chunks. What about butterflying bunker?

I've seen "butterflied" used to mean different things. What I mean is taking your bunker, cutting out the spine so as to leave two big flaps of meat, and either drifting or trolling the bunker. Bunker is soft, so you'd want to essentially pickle the fish, burying it in kosher or other non-iodized salt, and freezing it  until use. The salt brine would firm up the fish. I've done this with mackerel, waaay back when LI Sound had mackerel. This lends itself to a two-hook rig, one in the nose and the other in one of the meat flaps.

Asie  espanak caught her woman’s world record  on a butterflied bunker.   Pretty sure that record still holds today 

Any details on whether they were trolling it, or just drifting?

I have drifted butterflied mackerel for fluke. My only experience, but if bunker holds up enough, no reason not to do it for bass too.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yup.......I butterfly'em in the fall for HUGE fluke.....secret...shhhhhh.

Start at the tail....fillet both sides towards the head, then cut off the tail and spine in one piece up to the head and remove.....hook through nostrals and drift......that's how I do it.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Years ago when I used to fish with bunker I will split them down the middle remove the head and put the hook right through the base of the tail after cutting the tail fin off and Tak ng the spine out.

Then go to fish finder and a spark plug from a Ford 429 ,clip that onto the fish finder clip.

I swing it out there and when this spark plug hit the water I leave the bail open so it' would go quickly to the bottom once it touch bottom I close the bail, clip the line into what was called a strike guard,that clipped onto the rod ,once it was clipped in I'd open the bail and when you get a hit it would click and it would free spool out.

Caught many a bass that way.

HH 

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter