adoboboy

Help please: 7' Trolling Rod guide recommendation and reel seat size

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I'm trying to build a conventional trolling rod for my buddy and was hoping someone can recommend guide size and spacing. I have never owned a boat rod, so I really don't know how to build it. I've tried the search tool and did not find much and hopefully someone can share some general specs for the information below:

Reel - Penn Senator 4/0 (What reel seat size should work?)

Line - 50 lb braid

Rod - 7' XH MF 25-50 lbs.

Butt - .80

Tip- 11

I'm trying to build a budget rod, nothing fancy at all, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

What is the target species, location, etc...  the best budget guides IMO will be turbo style guides like the Fuji LRX, amtak turbo, or forecast.   20-16-12 runners to top or reduce to #10s.  If you want a roller top, Alps makes very nice tops that wont break the bank.  

Just now, tbush said:

What is the target species, location, etc...  the best budget guides IMO will be turbo style guides like the Fuji LRX, amtak turbo, or forecast.   20-16-12 runners to top or reduce to #10s.  If you want a roller top, Alps makes very nice tops that wont break the bank.  

This will be used in NJ, so mostly stripers from within the legal fishing zone. What size reel seat would work you think? Or length? Sorry and thank you. 

Ahh... i live / fish cape may,  DE Bay etc... for bass trolling you can scale down to #8s with braid.  Roller top is overkill for this application but nice if your crew likes to wind swivels into the top.  

11 mins ago, tbush said:

Ahh... i live / fish cape may,  DE Bay etc... for bass trolling you can scale down to #8s with braid.  Roller top is overkill for this application but nice if your crew likes to wind swivels into the top.  

You can use size 8 runners with a size 11 tip top? yeah no roller top needed for this one. 

8 mins ago, adoboboy said:

You can use size 8 runners with a size 11 tip top? yeah no roller top needed for this one. 

you can use salmon or waleye troling rod,and counter reel,it is not worth to build troling rod they are cheep.

4 mins ago, snag777 said:

you can use salmon or waleye troling rod,and counter reel,it is not worth to build troling rod they are cheep.

I understand that they are cheap, but it only takes a few clicks to order a rod, I'm doing this as a hobby :howdy: Thanks though. 

26 mins ago, adoboboy said:

Yes, the larger top is nice if your wind leaders onto the spool.  I prefer larger runners as i will run a mono topshot depending on what we are pulling- stretches, CD30 ETC...  

1 min ago, tbush said:

Yes, the larger top is nice if your wind leaders onto the spool.  I prefer larger runners as i will run a mono topshot depending on what we are pulling- stretches, CD30 ETC...  

Thanks so much. I think I have what I need. Just need to figure out the size of the reel foot to find the.right seat. 

12 mins ago, adoboboy said:

I understand that they are cheap, but it only takes a few clicks to order a rod, I'm doing this as a hobby :howdy: Thanks though. 

check out shimano tdr-86mh2b,it is perfect rod,you can not buy component for that price,

build spining,casting or fly rod or 2handed fly rod,there is walue from your time.

45 mins ago, adoboboy said:

Thanks so much. I think I have what I need. Just need to figure out the size of the reel foot to find the.right seat. 

Sz 22 will accommodate a TLD 25 sized reel or equivalent size

2 mins ago, tbush said:

Thanks again. I can start buying components now. Have a good one. 

On 1/26/2021 at 8:49 PM, tbush said:

Just wondering, have you ever built a boat rod with no Eva or cork grips? Or would you ever build such a rod? 

I don't want to buy a set of reamers to build a few boat rods. Thanks. 

Yes,  mostly surf stuff tho... FYI you can buy EVA with tapered inside bore.   Shrink tube and/cork tape will work fine as most E glass blanks are on the larger diameter side.