Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crabcakes

Cod/Bottom fishing in February

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Recently moved back to the East Coast (NYC) after a time out West. I am looking to do some bottom fishing in mid February. I am very experienced fishing on the west coast for ling cod, rock cod, and halibut and in NC for snapper/grouper. So I know the general idea of deepwater bottomfishing and jigging but was hoping for your advice on some specifics. Some of this is Long Island specific but I think it's general enough to fit better here with the deepwater degenerates. Apologies if I am wrong.

1. I'm primarily fishing waters in Long Island, from further West by NYC out to Montauk. what weights do people generally run on jigs here? Online recommendations are kind of a mess of things recommending up to 20oz. My gut tells me it would more typically be like 8-12oz in waters local to me but could use some clarification.

2. Do guys ever fish softbaits or other plastics for cod? I generally see folks online using diamond jigs, norwegian jigs etc. I ask because I fished soft plastics really productively in some other deepwater fisheries.

3. Do Long Island boats do well enough on cod in Feb or should I look to drive a bit farther?

4. Do people have a recommendation on party boats on Long Island? Willing to fish near or far to the city.

If any of this is stupid set me straight. Thanks for your help.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think for cod you may be better looking further north like mass etc.

I think LI boats head to block island.

Edited by Snaps

On LI I would check in with the King Cod out of Moriches. It's a 6 pack that runs a lot of open boat trips. If anyone is on the cod, they will be. 

Plenty of head boats out of Montauk. They fish toward Block. That fishing is kinda random depending on the cod showing up. Or not.

10 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Hi all,

Recently moved back to the East Coast (NYC) after a time out West. I am looking to do some bottom fishing in mid February. I am very experienced fishing on the west coast for ling cod, rock cod, and halibut and in NC for snapper/grouper. So I know the general idea of deepwater bottomfishing and jigging but was hoping for your advice on some specifics. Some of this is Long Island specific but I think it's general enough to fit better here with the deepwater degenerates. Apologies if I am wrong.

1. I'm primarily fishing waters in Long Island, from further West by NYC out to Montauk. what weights do people generally run on jigs here? Online recommendations are kind of a mess of things recommending up to 20oz. My gut tells me it would more typically be like 8-12oz in waters local to me but could use some clarification.

2. Do guys ever fish softbaits or other plastics for cod? I generally see folks online using diamond jigs, norwegian jigs etc. I ask because I fished soft plastics really productively in some other deepwater fisheries.

3. Do Long Island boats do well enough on cod in Feb or should I look to drive a bit farther?

4. Do people have a recommendation on party boats on Long Island? Willing to fish near or far to the city.

If any of this is stupid set me straight. Thanks for your help.

This caught my eye because a friend of mine (from NY) also goes by "Crabcake". Two party boats would be The Hampton Lady (I think out of Shinnicock) and The Viking out of Montauk. Don't bother with Massachusetts (unless it is August)! The Gulf of Maine (GOM) is closed to recreational cod fishing. You can't keep one (except for a two week window in September you CAN KEEP ONE, JUST ONE/DAY). In August though you can find a boat that will take you to Coxes Ledge where you are allowed 10/person but we don't really catch that many, perhaps 2-6/person/day on average (lots of other fish come up though).

On the Long Island Boats, the jig size is entirely dependent on how much wind there is and how that clashes with how much current there is and the currents direction in relation to the wind. Some drifting conditions you may find that 36 ounce jigs are not enough! In those conditions the boats usually anchor and fishing clam baits on the bottom (8-16 ounce sinkers) will be much more effective than the jigs but some fish will always be aggressive enough for the jigs but "how many"?

Above the jig your dropper can be a soft plastic grub on a 8/0 baitholder hook. 5-6 inch grubs in a variety of colors (depending on depth/light conditions) will work. 5 to 6 inch plastic shads work as well.

GOOD LUCK!

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters

1 hour ago, jason colby said:

This caught my eye because a friend of mine (from NY) also goes by "Crabcake". Two party boats would be The Hampton Lady (I think out of Shinnicock) and The Viking out of Montauk. Don't bother with Massachusetts (unless it is August)! The Gulf of Maine (GOM) is closed to recreational cod fishing. You can't keep one (except for a two week window in September you CAN KEEP ONE, JUST ONE/DAY). In August though you can find a boat that will take you to Coxes Ledge where you are allowed 10/person but we don't really catch that many, perhaps 2-6/person/day on average (lots of other fish come up though).

On the Long Island Boats, the jig size is entirely dependent on how much wind there is and how that clashes with how much current there is and the currents direction in relation to the wind. Some drifting conditions you may find that 36 ounce jigs are not enough! In those conditions the boats usually anchor and fishing clam baits on the bottom (8-16 ounce sinkers) will be much more effective than the jigs but some fish will always be aggressive enough for the jigs but "how many"?

Above the jig your dropper can be a soft plastic grub on a 8/0 baitholder hook. 5-6 inch grubs in a variety of colors (depending on depth/light conditions) will work. 5 to 6 inch plastic shads work as well.

GOOD LUCK!

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters

PS-There are a lot of guys on here from "New Joisey", just ignore them (especially Mick Razz)....

Thanks all. Jason that is interesting. In Northern California I could sometimes get away with 5-6oz diamond jigs in 200+ft of water and never went over 12. I've got the big jigs though so I'll bring an assortment.

Typically I use 14 ounce Norwegian type jigs with a teaser about 3 feet up from the jig with some sort of plastic worm or skirt on it. Forget about driving further north,  in the GOM there is only a two weeks season in April and another two week season in October, but the limit is one fish per day. Off of LI the limit is ten fish a day. If you're willing to drive to RI, which really isn't any further than Montauk if you're leaving from anywhere in NYC, there are at least three other party boats that fish for cod. You might find some boats from Sheepshead bay doing occasional cod trips, also some party boats from Freeport, Captree and Long beach that will do occasional cod trips. A shared charter may be another way to go, there are charter boats in every port on the south shore that will charter for cod, you just have to find one that has an open spot. Other option are the King Cod which has already been mentioned and the Hampton lady, both of them will often run open boat trips. 

No point in traveling beyond Rhode Island if cod is the target.  The Frances Fleet runs winter trips from Point Judith.  In Montauk, in addition to the Viking Fleet, the Miss Montauk runs cod trips and is a well run operation.  As to jigs, 12 - 14 oz is typical, but higher may occasionally be required.  LavJigs is considered the benchmark but any Norwegian is fine.  No need for chrome, plain lead works just fine.  For soaking bait a high/low rig with 8/0 baitholder style hooks.  

9 mins ago, PeterO said:

No point in traveling beyond Rhode Island if cod is the target.  The Frances Fleet runs winter trips from Point Judith.  In Montauk, in addition to the Viking Fleet, the Miss Montauk runs cod trips and is a well run operation.  As to jigs, 12 - 14 oz is typical, but higher may occasionally be required.  LavJigs is considered the benchmark but any Norwegian is fine.  No need for chrome, plain lead works just fine.  For soaking bait a high/low rig with 8/0 baitholder style hooks.  

Lav jig is out of business, their operation has been taken over by North Atlantic jigs.

29 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Lav jig is out of business, their operation has been taken over by North Atlantic jigs.

Dennis sold the business years ago.  They are still being made.  North Atlantic is the second owner after Dennis.  They never went out of business.

Edited by PeterO

15 mins ago, PeterO said:

Dennis sold the business years ago.  They are still being made.  North Atlantic is the second owner after Dennis.  They never went out of business.

So they sold their name, molds, inventory, etc. but they never went out of business? I don't know where you got your business education, but I was taught that when a business sells their entire operation and signs a non-compete agreement, they are out of that business.

Otis Elevator was sold to United Technologies, the entire operation.  They are still in business, making Otis Elevators.  North Atlantic, who acquired LavJigs from John, who acquired LavJigs from Dennis, is still making LavJigs.  LavJigs have been made continuously during that period, and by three different owners.  The point being they are good jigs that perform.  Saying they “went out of business” is misleading.  Dennis got out of the business of making jigs, but the jigs are still being made.  The particular accounting and legal details of the sales are not really relevant to the discussion, but thanks for trying. :dismay:
77204260-2E74-4104-A15B-7EFBC3B76968.gif.bac643929c3057fcb2f4ccda9c111432.gif

Ps:  Where I got my business education is just one of many things you don’t know.  

Edited by PeterO

43 mins ago, PeterO said:

Otis Elevator was sold to United Technologies, the entire operation.  They are still in business, making Otis Elevators.  North Atlantic, who acquired LavJigs from John, who acquired LavJigs from Dennis, is still making LavJigs.  LavJigs have been made continuously during that period, and by three different owners.  The point being they are good jigs that perform.  Saying they “went out of business” is misleading.  Dennis got out of the business of making jigs, but the jigs are still being made.  The particular accounting and legal details of the sales are not really relevant to the discussion, but thanks for trying. :dismay:
77204260-2E74-4104-A15B-7EFBC3B76968.gif.bac643929c3057fcb2f4ccda9c111432.gif

Ps:  Where I got my business education is just one of many things you don’t know.  

If you can’t see the difference between Otis which is still making elevators and lav jigs which is now making nothing you are beyond help.