Jdiesel

New to bailess

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Foureel said:

So what do you mean when you say "timed"  This is my first year with bailess spinfisher and really love is but I have to be careful of the position of the handle before casting so it doesn't spin

I prefer handle down spool fully extended. 

17 hours ago, Jdiesel said:

In the market for a bailess reel to start learning on but, at a crossroads. Considering a spinfisher IV or the Penn Z series type ...price is a factor.... not looking for a VS or Zeebaas . I am aware of the differences between the two reels mentioned above but, for those who do throw bailess what did you learn on and would use today?

I learned on a Gen1 Penn Torque 5BL. It's still my go to surf/jetty reel. I'm waiting for Penn to come out with a bail less Slammer, that would be what I'd use today in addition to the Torque. Since they don't make a bail less Slammer, I would use a Spinfisher VI 5500 and or 4500. If cost was an issue, I would find a Spinfisher V, which is still available new.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Foureel said:

So what do you mean when you say "timed"  This is my first year with bailess spinfisher and really love is but I have to be careful of the position of the handle before casting so it doesn't spin

looking at the reel sideways with the spool fully extended (this should be the casting position) I preferred my handle to be at 4 o'clock, in that combination the handle and rotating head will never turn on the cast (for me). 99.9% of the issues I've seen over the years have been because of an untimed reel. Reels are generally random and untimed when purchased and should be timed and should be retimed whenever a handle, pinion or main gear is changed. Shim with either a thicker, thinner or additional handle washer until desired timing is achieved

Edited by SC

19 hours ago, Jdiesel said:

In the market for a bailess reel to start learning on but, at a crossroads. Considering a spinfisher IV or the Penn Z series type ...price is a factor.... not looking for a VS or Zeebaas . I am aware of the differences between the two reels mentioned above but, for those who do throw bailess what did you learn on and would use today?

What size reel and what size rod? I only mention this because I believe bailless shines in the surf but for the back bay I think a bail is the way to go. Thats just my opinion of course. Don’t think there is much to learn. A few outings and your either going to like it or not. We only have bailess reels today because of the crappy bails on reels many decades ago. Today’s bails are pretty top notch if you ask me. If you are still game I would try a cheap reel to start with as you may not care for it.

I actually learned by cutting off the bail arm on a old Shimano Sienna and practiced using it that way and boy did I love using bail-less! It's so useful and just takes some practice to get it down and soon you don't have to look to cast, it'll become all natural.

I have the Spinfisher VI and 706Z. I like both and them.  Depending on what type of fishing you do the most. The 706Z is big and a little bulky, so if you're fishing snappers in the bay, it would be too much. The Spinfisher VI is smaller and narrower. I can use it at the surf if I want and I can use it for throwing plugs in the bay. So to me the Spinfisher VI more versatile. 

1 hour ago, redfin said:

What size reel and what size rod? I only mention this because I believe bailless shines in the surf but for the back bay I think a bail is the way to go. Thats just my opinion of course. Don’t think there is much to learn. A few outings and your either going to like it or not. We only have bailess reels today because of the crappy bails on reels many decades ago. Today’s bails are pretty top notch if you ask me. If you are still game I would try a cheap reel to start with as you may not care for it.

Looking hard at the 706z on a 10-10.5’ rod but still studying with a Spinfisher 4500 on a 9-9’6”. Ideally I would like to use it in the surf along with some back bay adventures. Might just roll with fisher since it is cheaper .... then again if I really start to like it am I going to regret not picking up a 706z for a little extra. I’ll keep trolling the BST thread and see what shakes loose.

First bail less was a spin fisher v, its still my trusty back up proving tougher than my slammer 3 thats been fixed 2 and replaced by Penn

1 hour ago, DonF said:

I have the Spinfisher VI and 706Z. I like both and them.  Depending on what type of fishing you do the most. The 706Z is big and a little bulky, so if you're fishing snappers in the bay, it would be too much. The Spinfisher VI is smaller and narrower. I can use it at the surf if I want and I can use it for throwing plugs in the bay. So to me the Spinfisher VI more versatile. 

Beginning to agree more and more with you there. 12.3oz vs 22.8oz is almost another beer strapped to the stick. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I learned on a Crack 300. I was a kid when I converted it to bailless, still have the reel today but the roller is frozen. I fish mostly with bails now, but I did have a 704Z that had a broken bail. I cut it off and fished it for a while, but the line would get wrapped around the roller too often. Had a local guy put his custom 706 type conversion kit on it and it's pretty slick now. I typically use my Slammer IIIs and Saragosa now though.

Edited by GP100

Mitchell 302’s, I believe, were the first bail free reels I ever used.

Then on to Penn 706’s and other greenies which I converted.

Funny thing is that when I started using Shimano and Daiwa products, they had bails which could be flipped closed manually.

I learned to enjoy controlling my line with two hands and felt I had even more control over it than when I was feathering it, on a bail free reel, with my index finger.

So, I started with a bail, went bailess for a time and am back to bails again.

I’m really not a purist and will use whatever tackle I have available to catch fish and have fun.

I learned on a spinfisher VI and still use it.  Even more fun when you put a Slammer III handle on that reel.  I've dunked it a bunch, used my rod as a wading staff, etc.  The reel still works like new after some winter maintenance.  I'd love to order a new ZB, but with how well this reel has done, I can't find it in me to spend that kind of money on a replacement.

3 hours ago, Jdiesel said:

Beginning to agree more and more with you there. 12.3oz vs 22.8oz is almost another beer strapped to the stick. 

Yup, that beer could be in a holder on your waist instead :howdy:.  I just invested in a SALTX 4000 which has a bailess convert, which I plan to do.  I do like bailess, but I also like bails, both manual and auto.  The more weapons the better. :rav: