Sudsy

Anyone have any experience with this Central Machinery mini-lathe

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I kinda got stuck with it (bought a bunch of stuff from a retiring cabinet shop)

New, never used, with a NIB set of Wilson (harbor Freight) lathe tools, assorted dead and live centers, and a set of face plates - one that doesn't fit this but fits my huge Rockwell which is nice

I've no need for the tools (will find their way to the BST) but the lathe is actually pretty cool

It's an older model. all cast iron, surprisingly heavy, electronic speed control

Is it worth giving up the bench space ?

20210125_165126.jpg

20210125_165232.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

Iv turned every single one of my plugs between maple and balsa on this thing and its lasted over a decade now though hundreds of plugs.  I carry it out side an do all my turning in the yard .... there are better options out there but it absolutly works.

Edited by DeepBlue85

That exact lathe comes with many different names on it, mine was red.

It’s worth keeping, only caveat, the belt would come off of mine if I pushed it too hard. I actually put shims on the end of the right side to get it to balance on end while putting the belt back on the pulley.

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

At 3200 RPM I might keep it just for sanding !

this is what I would use it for.  I picked up (given to me) a second lathe, not the greatest but it works great for sanding.  Also comes in handy with fine tuning plugs when the main one is set up w/ the Vega. 

1 min ago, Antagonizer said:

Also comes in handy with fine tuning plugs when the main one is set up w/ the Vega. 

I have the vega set up to cut upside down on the backside so i can still turn freehand on the frontside

2 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I have the vega set up to cut upside down on the backside so i can still turn freehand on the frontside

I would like to see a picture of this... How do you run your dust system with this set-up? 

Shop vac

Floor sweeper attachment zip tied under the work piece 

Edited by Sudsy

I have this lathe. It works, but I wouldn't buy it again if I could do over. I miss my Jet. 

That said, if you have room on the bench, use it for sanding.

4 mins ago, NYNistler said:

I have this lathe. It works, but I wouldn't buy it again if I could do over. I miss my Jet. 

That said, if you have room on the bench, use it for sanding.

Under your name, what the hell is that ?? :squid:

4 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Under your name, what the hell is that ?? :squid:

Hahaha. It's not meant to reference the song.  It's an old Finnish saying that means a drop won't kill you and you cannot drown in a bucket.  In other words, drink up!