coolhandfluke

do you wear a life jacket ?

56 posts in this topic

when you are out just for fun ? not fishing. not in the ocean or bay, just while back in the skinny water,do you wear it ?

most of my time will be in warm weather and skinny water . i was thinking of just sitting on a throwable .

i know its all in your preference but i know we never wore them when canoeing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I never wore one for years. I’m adjusting to wearing one now. I usually fish alone so I have a Mustang auto inflate vest and clip on the kill switch tether which I always forget to undo when it time to fish. Running a 16’ tiller I feel it’s a good idea and always when in the kayak 

Edited by Bigfootgrey

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wear a pfd 100 percent of the time in the kayak. My fishing pliers are on it and when I am in the kayak I am in it to fish. One thing I have noticed, when in the dry suit and layers wearing a standard PFD type III vs inflatable?  My movement gets restricted vs, comfortable inflatable. 

In the boat I did not wear one until I have seen quite a few lately get ejected on striking the bottom, taking on water, or from chop and swell. I had the unfortunate incident of striking a sunken boat this past year. There was no buoy, no warning, I lost the lower unit at 3:30 am and  **** my pants and got very lucky. I wear one full time now. 

Edited by The Riddler

3 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Kayak always, on the boat I promised the Admiral that I would wear one when fishing alone, and I always do.

On the boat, I never did.  But I should have... almost fell out more than once.

2 mins ago, Slacker said:

On the boat, I never did.  But I should have... almost fell out more than once.

I did "go in for an unscheduled dip" once and was damn glad I had made, and kept to that promise.  

Always. Didn't as a teen canoeing, rarely sailing then either, but when I got into whitewater in my 20's it was not optional, and now its just part of the routine.

i commend everyone that does wear them.

if i were to be out on the ocean or any deep water,i would also.

most of my days will be spent in shallow waters and i was not sure of the legal rule but i found this.

New Jersey Life Jacket Laws

• Kayak life vest law: All vessels must have one Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device for each person on board.

i did buy coast guard approved throwable seat cushion for each of us.