Angler #1

Great Island in Wellfleet

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

was a article in the Cape Cod Times about the old Hunting cabin ruins from another time. It sort of brought back memories of a great place to fish as apposed to hunting. The only way to get out was by walking, unless you knew the ranger who at times would also fish along side of us . Great Island is part of the Cape Cod National Park and still remains today as another walking trail out to Jeremy Point, some of the very best Blue and striped bass fishing in that area during the time I fished it. It is an easier walk should you stay on the beach and walk out as apposed to sticking to the trail. 9 or so miles.. The whole family would spend a day out on the beach front away from the parking lot and away from prying eyes. We would use our back packs and every thing was carefully loaded into each pack , even the waders, rod holders, bait and something to eat. It was up to each of us to pack the bags with what we used including the rods and reels. WE needed both hands free to haul the fish back at times and a rope was used to string them together. My youngest son Erik caught his first striped bass of size one bright day as we fished with the fresh raked sand eels we picked up at the Pamet. We arrived just as the water was hiding the bar, where the fish would stack up behind, waiting to be caught. If you went beyond it the fish did not hit. So we would walk out at low water , place a marker on the back side of the bar and as the bar filled up we would just cast a little beyond and drag it back to where the water was just startng to cover the bar sand. The numbers of fish we would drag from here after days of fishing was just great and the old folks that lived in the nursing home behind my house in Randolph would be lining the back fence of the house waiting for me to fillet and pass them over the fence . This is a ritual we did for over 25 years from cod,flounder,bass, bluefish and even fluke .  WE fished in any and all kinds of weather and at that time I was given the name of C.A.J. The Fish'n Fool which was before I obtained the Angler Plate the only one to do so . I never had any problem on the National Sea Shore  as My Ford van was well known to every one as was my Bronco. The article sort of brought back a little history of when the beaches were more open then they are today, even in the same place we once would park and walk out to fish. The last time I checked it is no longer allowed where we once parked and that is to bad . Peace and Prayers 

22 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

was a article in the Cape Cod Times about the old Hunting cabin ruins from another time. It sort of brought back memories of a great place to fish as apposed to hunting. The only way to get out was by walking, unless you knew the ranger who at times would also fish along side of us . Great Island is part of the Cape Cod National Park and still remains today as another walking trail out to Jeremy Point, some of the very best Blue and striped bass fishing in that area during the time I fished it. It is an easier walk should you stay on the beach and walk out as apposed to sticking to the trail. 9 or so miles.. The whole family would spend a day out on the beach front away from the parking lot and away from prying eyes. We would use our back packs and every thing was carefully loaded into each pack , even the waders, rod holders, bait and something to eat. It was up to each of us to pack the bags with what we used including the rods and reels. WE needed both hands free to haul the fish back at times and a rope was used to string them together. My youngest son Erik caught his first striped bass of size one bright day as we fished with the fresh raked sand eels we picked up at the Pamet. We arrived just as the water was hiding the bar, where the fish would stack up behind, waiting to be caught. If you went beyond it the fish did not hit. So we would walk out at low water , place a marker on the back side of the bar and as the bar filled up we would just cast a little beyond and drag it back to where the water was just startng to cover the bar sand. The numbers of fish we would drag from here after days of fishing was just great and the old folks that lived in the nursing home behind my house in Randolph would be lining the back fence of the house waiting for me to fillet and pass them over the fence . This is a ritual we did for over 25 years from cod,flounder,bass, bluefish and even fluke .  WE fished in any and all kinds of weather and at that time I was given the name of C.A.J. The Fish'n Fool which was before I obtained the Angler Plate the only one to do so . I never had any problem on the National Sea Shore  as My Ford van was well known to every one as was my Bronco. The article sort of brought back a little history of when the beaches were more open then they are today, even in the same place we once would park and walk out to fish. The last time I checked it is no longer allowed where we once parked and that is to bad . Peace and Prayers 

A 9 mile walk? With gear and fish to drag back?

That wouldn't happen in todays world, todays angler wouldn't go one way. You were lucky enough to be able to experience that with your kids, and your luckier now to be able to remember it and tell about it. I wonder what stories todays young anglers will be sharing 60 years from now, June 2081, massive run of striped bass up to 8 lbs., one angler caught 2 in one day. Amazing!

Thanks for sharing times of yore!

20 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

A 9 mile walk? With gear and fish to drag back?

That wouldn't happen in todays world, todays angler wouldn't go one way. You were lucky enough to be able to experience that with your kids, and your luckier now to be able to remember it and tell about it. I wonder what stories todays young anglers will be sharing 60 years from now, June 2081, massive run of striped bass up to 8 lbs., one angler caught 2 in one day. Amazing!

Thanks for sharing times of yore!

9 mile walk.  The service rd on the canal is 7. 

16 mins ago, bob_G said:

9 mile walk.  The service rd on the canal is 7. 

yeah was wondering that myself. I thought man 9 miles is a hike anywhere on the cape.

57 mins ago, Joe G said:

Close to a 9 mile round trip if you make it all the way to Jeremy Point. 

You would be correct brother Joe . The hike was well worth it, however one needed to train for it . Like climbing up Tuckermans raven to get to the top with a full pack . During these times I was running a Boy Scout Troop and we did a lot of hiking with a full pack . I can also recall hiking out to the race from the entrance and also Hatches harbor. One needed to be very efficient especially when you were coming back with a nice load of fish to feed the seniors.  I never as i recall did an article about fishing Great Island  as it was a paradise place to spend the day with the family and for the most part never ever see another person fishing. Peace and Prayers

Jeremy point is a cool spot no doubt. Years back we paddled from Indian neck many times and almost every  time came tight to bluefish on the way   Duck harbor was a location of many hunting camps I’ve read about as well. Thanks for the read

17 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

been there and camped on the bluff near the end (not exactly legal)  A spooky place at night.  :eek:

The ghosts of Billingsgate:laugh:.Did it a few years ago and the coyotes were all around us.

1 hour ago, harley48 said:

Just did that hike, I think it’s around 8.5 miles round trip to Jeremy point. Man would that be a workout hauling gear and fish

You needed to build your stamina up and the only way to do that was to do the trip loaded several times over the weekend. The saving grace was that the fish were floated back to the parking lot on a rope . That meant that you had to take turns on who was in the water doing the work. Because the only thing they had was the fish on a rope and a small back pack. It was well worth it . Once you got to where you fished you had in most cases the whole place to yourself. Sometimes a friend of ours Steve Thomas who worked as a ranger for the national sea shore would show up and take the fish back to the parking lot for us .

Steve also at one time was the director of Need Collaborate a school program at the Pamet Coast Guard Station. My two oldest worked for him and that is how we all became good friends . WE often had an opportunity to stay all week end to fish as the youngster  had to go home for those days. WE fillet a ton of fish when ever we stayed there from bass of size caught right front , not far from Balliston to fluke and Blue fish . WE made plenty of footsteps in the sand on those weekends and walking up and down the stairs with fish of size was a challenge.

I can still recall a time when we were using live eels and had them in the aquarium and some forgot to put the weight on the cover on , waking up in the dark to go out on the beach front and having them all over the hard wood floor.     Now that was a lesson  . The big snakes we used had enough strength to knock it loose . Memories from the past that will remain in the minds of my whole family from my wife and three sons. later I would use the Old Coast Guard Station for a week end scouting weekend, or the boy scout camp with the Adirondacks, right next door   for the Senior Scouts that has earned the fishing merit badge. Peace and Prayers

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Carl..........The Roseville Cottages.   Did ya have a favorite cottage?

Joe we had rented about every one on the front and back rows during that time frame , however the one if still standing we all called the Ice House, was our favorite.

We would have as many as a 10 to 12 staying for a week or a week end . Some times we would meet folks who were sleeping on the beach and we would offer them a place to camp out back of come inside if the beds were free. The Rose Ville cottage owned and operated by Ozzy Rose and his wife treated us very very good on the rent part and accommodated the dogs that came with us. Both of us served our country and he was a legionnaire  Not many cabin owners down that way would allow dogs.

We had a place to get our ice to keep our fish as he had an ice maker on site. WE could get out of bed in the early hours and rake our sand eels .

WE simply took the four wheeler and went to the left , where the Pamet came out  and did a short walk in front of the breaker . Then again at night in the moon light we often would be raking and then fishing as the tide came up . IN the late fall when we fished the outer beach we would drive over to the bay side cottages make our entrance onto the beach and drive the whole bay side back to the cottages we would be staying at.

More memories from the past and a whole lot of sand turned over. We often would bring back sand on our waders and other then a cursory clean up would wait until the day we would leave to actually complete the whole Two story Ice House.

I can recall having three or four coolers with Sand eels in various stages of use and we would have Eddy Podolak stop buy with a few boxes of snakes ,[sea worms] from his local farm. That along with a ongoing live well [ for black snakes]kept us in enough fresh bait to deal with any situation that occurred, when we needed bait instead of plugs and one of our families favorite lure on the beach dragged slow through the sand [ The single hook diamond jig ]  WE often had bait when the shops around did not and that was a plus at times in reducing the number fishing.

Peace and Prayers 

17 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe we had rented about every one on the front and back rows during that time frame , however the one if still standing we all called the Ice House, was our favorite.

I stayed there with my main squeeze at the time, a half dozen times back in the late '50's, maybe early '60's.  She was very much into the arts and theatrics so P Town was the primary focus of our visits. 

Outer Cape was a much different place back 60 odd years ago.