Grayson Everett

fishing reel
What reel is needed for UL fishing?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Currently, I'm using my zebco cardinal 3 and it's a really great reel but I might be looking into getting another reel. Anyone have any recommendations. Price doesn't really matter.

Salt or fresh water? I like my Shakespeare Prius for FW. I have an Abu Cardinal 502 ALB (not quite UL) for the salt.

1 hour ago, animalbarrie said:

I used a Penn Battle 2 1000 with 10lb power pro.  I use a 6' Light Bass Pro Carbonlite for rod.  The little battle has held up great.

I got the same reel with 4lb mono works great for trout. I’ve had it a few seasons now.

Tatula 2000 weighs 5ounces and change. 

Vanford is an ultra light stradic 

You could learn bfs and never want to fish a spinner again. 

The daiwa Alphas air tw is one of the nicest bfs reels out of the box. Handles 1/16oz wonderfully 

I love the Daiwa 1300 as tournament. Use it with 4lb mono for freshwater or 8lb fireline for flounder. Best reels ever made. If you want smaller the 700 is just as good

In terms of freshwater budget spinners, I am very happy with my Daiwa Crossfire 1000 LT. With 10 Ib braid it cast little lures very well. My buddy has a Sienna 1000 and also enjoys it very much. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, Grayson Everett said:

Currently, I'm using my zebco cardinal 3 and it's a really great reel but I might be looking into getting another reel. Anyone have any recommendations. Price doesn't really matter.

You say Ultra-Lite, and I think for panfish (perch) and Trout... not sure if you mean UL for Saltwater applications or what (maybe a little more specific).

Anyway, Ultra-Lite for panfish, trout and such... Pflueger President 20. Great little reel, just over 6 oz. If you mean for Salt Water, Shimano Stradic 1000 series.

Edited by JAL
additions

I wish they would make smaller sized reels again . I have a box full of diawa spinmatic z parts. I been using them better part of 30 years . Can’t find anything as tiny and decent since they stopped making them