Bdemiri23

Tog Reel from Surf

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

My question is are there any reel recommendations that are rugged enough to crank hard and not break during togging.I have used a Stradic 4000 and a Daiwa saltist back bay4000. Both reels gave up on me when cranking a bit hard after a season or two. Thank you 

4 mins ago, Bdemiri23 said:

My question is are there any reel recommendations that are rugged enough to crank hard and not break during togging.I have used a Stradic 4000 and a Daiwa saltist back bay4000. Both reels gave up on me when cranking a bit hard after a season or two. Thank you 

Get a conventional and crank away. Guys fish spinning but to me it ain’t the right tool. 

10 mins ago, hydraman said:

Get a conventional and crank away. Guys fish spinning but to me it ain’t the right tool. 

I like spinning for jigs but conventional all the way for rigs

54 mins ago, Bdemiri23 said:

I have a 6k Gossa . I feel it’s a bit off balance with my 8ft rod . Any 5000 reel recommendations people like?

You want something big though even if it’s a little heavy. The rigidity of the reel and power is what matters. Looking for balance is just lead to the same result as that stradic that gave out. 

1 hour ago, hydraman said:

He fishing from shore. From boat yes go conventional.

17 mins ago, kuro said:

He fishing from shore. From boat yes go conventional.

Conventionals work just fine from shore.

4 mins ago, cheech said:

Conventionals work just fine from shore.

That true if you careful. My last trip fishing tautog from shore my reel got dunk in water several times trying to get to my spot lol.

1 hour ago, Bdemiri23 said:

I have a 6k Gossa . I feel it’s a bit off balance with my 8ft rod . Any 5000 reel recommendations people like?

Most non-shimano 5k reels are going to be at least the same size/weight of a 6k Saragosa. A 4500 Slammer might be worth looking in to but it’s only 1oz lighter. Gosas are great though, maybe bump up to a 9’ rod instead of switching reels.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spheros 5000 or 6000 , they share the same body size.  Low ratio, more torque.  Make sure you're fighting with the rod not just the reel.

Edited by ne_dan

I had a 3500 Penn slammer hold up well to that same abuse. They have the battle DX now with brass gearing like the slammer if you want to try a cheaper route.

I was using Battle II 5000 for the past 2 years and it's been handling everything well. It's been landing many 16"-19" and a 20" from the jetty just fine.  It's been hit by the waves many times and been working fine washing it down with fresh water after the trip.  It was making some noise but worked fine.  I swapped out the bearing and it's in good working condition after that.

That said, I retired it as a backup reel as I wanted something lighter(holding rod from sunrise till sunset)  I got Clash II 5000 past October which is about 4oz lighter and I liked it a lot.  It's been hit by the wave many times and again, many 16"-19" and a 21.75" from the jetty which is my PB.