saltfisherman

Lever action 30-30, thoughts

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Well I’m thinking of buying another rifle and this time that lends itself to a lever action. I have zero loyalty to any one brand of lever but I’m open to any advice. Stay away from or go towards ideas. 

30-30 also come to mind, but I’m indifferent to calibers. It’s not like a own a 357 and matching it with the same caliber is a must. 

Hunting wise it would be for pigs, but for target first. 

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

Well I’m thinking of buying another rifle and this time that lends itself to a lever action. I have zero loyalty to any one brand of lever but I’m open to any advice. Stay away from or go towards ideas. 

30-30 also come to mind, but I’m indifferent to calibers. It’s not like a own a 357 and matching it with the same caliber is a must. 

Hunting wise it would be for pigs, but for target first. 

Wouldn't recommend.357 for pig.  I've seen them take a hit and smile.  If sticking with a caliber for handgun and lever gun look for 44 mag.  

As for the gun itself you gotta determine if you want blued or stainless. Wood or synthetic.  

Find a Marlin 336 made in Connecticut before Remington moved them and started producing junk , Easy to mount a scope unlike Winchester 94 unless it's the newer angle eject , But because it has Winchester on it everyone wants a Kidney for one , I don't have much experience with Henry's but they seem to have a good reputation . 

1 hour ago, jolly mon said:

Find a Marlin 336 made in Connecticut before Remington moved them and started producing junk , Easy to mount a scope unlike Winchester 94 unless it's the newer angle eject , But because it has Winchester on it everyone wants a Kidney for one , I don't have much experience with Henry's but they seem to have a good reputation . 

^^^^This.  I have the Marlin 336 sweet gun.

I have a very old Marlin 336 and also a newer angle eject Winchester 94. Both are great guns. I’ve looked at Henry’s and I just don’t see myself buying one at this time.

Henrys are a poor choice. They look better on the outside than the inside. New Winchesters are made in Japan and are nearly $1000 wholesale. You can buy a nice pre-64 mod 94 for $700-800. A good deal better quality than the post 64's.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Love my Model 94 but good luck finding .30-30 rounds in today's climate....

Mossberg 464 has picatinny rails if you're trying to mount scopes, I believe...

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

9 hours ago, Whopper Bubba said:

Henrys are a poor choice. They look better on the outside than the inside. New Winchesters are made in Japan and are nearly $1000 wholesale. You can buy a nice pre-64 mod 94 for $700-800. A good deal better quality than the post 64's.

I saw the return of the of the 94 some time ago at a Distributors show and the price , I told the Winchester VP of sales that handed one to me to look at , " The fit and finish seems to be better than the old ones but that is to be expected since Winchester hadn't upgraded it equipment since Old Man Winchester was alive "  I just don't see Americans linings up to buy a Jap copy for well over a Grand , He didn't much care for my opinion and said I didn't know what I was talking about , A couple years later same show different VP of Sales I told him what I said and he told me they have a lot of the original production run still in the warehouse for just that reason and he replaced that other VP . 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Unless I had ammo or the means to make ammo, I would not get into anything in this climate. 

But as far as 30/30 goes I'd love a Savage 99 takedown.   That rifle would wet my whistle. 

This would be my lottery rifle.  Only it would be in 30/30.  The other barrel is .410. 

I would then cruise the USA with my 22 takedown, hunting and fishing.  

Not my pic. Random screen grab. 

wm_6689751.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

Savage 99's are extremely desirable Nice, short throw. Sell QUICKLY! We try to pay $300-350 and sell about $450 unless in a better caliber or an early gun or exceptional condition. Can be in the $700+ range. Takedowns add a bit. Tang sights add a bit. The .303 Savage is virtually the 30-30, the 300 Savage is essentially the .308. In fact, the 308 was based on the 300 Savage.

The Miroku 94's are made better than the other post 64s. The easy tell difference between the pre and post 64's is a screw on the bottom of the action. The other easy way to tell is to shake the gun. The post 64's rattle.

30-30 is the hardest common rifle ammo to find.

336C is a fine gun. Wholesale maybe $300. Retail (used guns) about $450.

The Marlin 1894 is a nice gun, especially the early JM models. I'm pretty sure they came chambered in 30/30. I'll also second the idea of a 44 mag... I'm in a "straight wall pistol caliber" state for Deer, and picked up a real nice JM Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. Not cheap, not crazy $ either, just be patient.

another 30/30 I would LOVE to own is a T/C Contender.  Guy on another forum has a 16in rifle.  Scoped I think it's around 5lbs.  

I'd have the muzzle threaded and put a flashhider on it for some recoil control and reduction of muzzle flash.   Low power scope with a big ole fat reticle.  

But I'd never use it.  I'd be better off putting a scope on my 92 357mag.    Plus I've got enough components to last my lifetime.