hobbyisterisis

Anyone ever deal with braid line smelling like ****?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Anyone ever deal with braid line smelling like ****?

 

I have a TranX spooled with 50lb Power Pro. I use the reel on jetties, so I need thicker braid to handle some abrasion and there are some big fish where I go, so I need heavy line.

 

Anyway, I always rinse my reels with freshwater after coming back from salt/brackish water trips. Few trips ago, I started to smell something pungent and realized that it was coming from the braid line. I rinsed my reel/line for a minute after my last trip to see if that would help... But It still stank today and I was taking my line off because I saw it as a sign of braid line going bad. Then my wife suddenly says "Is that you?" then closes her nose and says it smells like a wet rag... Lol. She walked out of the room. So I know it wasn't just me smelling it.

 

I have braid on most of my reels and I treat them the same... But I don't remember ever having to change my line because of the smell LOL. I did fish stinky brackish water last season (Green algae maybe?)... Not sure where I picked it up and wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have experienced smelly, cheap, China braid, but it smelled bad right out of the package.

And, the stink went away with use.

Not sure what to do with smelly power pro other than to dump it like you did.

Seems like an expensive waste but probably the most practical solution .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 mins ago, valentine said:

I have experienced smelly, cheap, China braid, but it smelled bad right out of the package.

And, the stink went away with use.

Not sure what to do with smelly power pro other than to dump it like you did.

Seems like an expensive waste but probably the most practical solution .

Yup... I agree. I was hoping someone had more knowledge on what it means and how to get rid of it. I think someone on this forum mentioned that braid rots and I would actually believe him now lol.

 

I had braid go bad on me once (Happened to be 30 lb PP) and it would break while I was tying a knot. So I thought same thing was gonna happen and didn’t want to take a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Yup... I agree. I was hoping someone had more knowledge on what it means and how to get rid of it. I think someone on this forum mentioned that braid rots and I would actually believe him now lol.

 

I had braid go bad on me once (Happened to be 30 lb PP) and it would break while I was tying a knot. So I thought same thing was gonna happen and didn’t want to take a chance.

I doubt if braid would “rot” from normal usage.

Certainly not from normal wet/dry cycles.

However, exposure to something caustic or high heat and even ultra violet light wouldn’t do it any good.

Quality braid like power pro is generally pretty tough stuff and properly cared for should last, odor free, for a couple of seasons.

Perhaps something got on the line before it was ever in your possession.

It’s a head scratcher for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 3 gallon, hand pump pressurized, weed sprayer to rinse off my fishing gear. Once, it had been in my car's trunk for several weeks before I used it next, and it definitely stank. Garden hoses (used to fill it) do trap microbes that can multiply in a container, in a hot car, for weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering it was quality braid, i think it has something to do with the water you were fishing.  Braid does absorb water.  Were you fishing near a sewage treatment plant by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, MikeK said:

Considering it was quality braid, i think it has something to do with the water you were fishing.  Braid does absorb water.  Were you fishing near a sewage treatment plant by any chance?

No, but water actually stank a few times I fished a causeway last season. Think it could have been algae... Florida is known for red tides and algae blooms and I fished a part not too far from an area known for algae blooms.

 

It’s brackish and tidal, so I figured it was okay. Didn’t see any fish floating...

 

It was near here lol. I just find strange that all of my other reels/lines are okay.

B39E498E-42B4-4BA6-AD3D-BAD7AB0A7FD5.jpeg.520b38d1ac23f9b892227c68a5684692.jpeg

Edited by hobbyisterisis
Added a pic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Lol that’s exactly what I did.

I'd say dump 832 and go power pro super slick v2. I've been far happier with it in the 4 different lb tests I've used (same lb tests as 832)

 

I've used a crap ton of different braids.  Never once smelled something off.  

I don't rinse my gear.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I'd say dump 832 and go power pro super slick v2. I've been far happier with it in the 4 different lb tests I've used (same lb tests as 832)

 

I've used a crap ton of different braids.  Never once smelled something off.  

I don't rinse my gear.  

You don’t rinse even after fishing in SW? You know your stuff, so I don’t question what you do and don’t do lol.

 

I already invested quite a lot on 832’s and J Braids... When I see a reason to switch, I’ll consider v2’s. So far, 832’s and J Braids have been holding up. No mystery/premature breaks. Thx for your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cityevader said:

I use a 3 gallon, hand pump pressurized, weed sprayer to rinse off my fishing gear. Once, it had been in my car's trunk for several weeks before I used it next, and it definitely stank. Garden hoses (used to fill it) do trap microbes that can multiply in a container, in a hot car, for weeks.

sometimes the water that you use specially if sitting for a while. water would smell like fart or gas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.