Callmefish

Center pin question regarding regulations

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Yes but how do you intend to fish with your center pin. That’s the crux of the question

Honestly, no idea. I don’t know what I’m talking about and I’m not going to even attempt to act like I know what I’m talking about. 

for the salmon river (douglaston salmon run specifically, 2 miles of the salmon river) I’d be using it to drift egg sacks in current for salmon/trout/steelhead.

but that location is about a 4 hour drive, and I couldn’t justify the expense for maybe a trip per year If I was lucky enough to go that often.

now if I could use a centerpin setup for weighted leaders and floats in other areas closer to me for the off season. Then I’d probably get a setup going.

doesn’t seem like it’s right choice.

23 mins ago, bloosfisher said:

Pinning has nothing to do with fly fishing. You'll be ticketed in the Fly Zones on the SR, and be booted off the Connetquot. That said, running a pink worm or an egg sack  under a float with a  centerpin is a pretty  effective method  for steelhead.  It takes some practice and technique, find someone to show you or hire a guide. 

Ahh you must be from around NY. I got a lodge on the douglaston salmon run last season. Watching the centerpin guys out there was pretty impressive. 

1 hour ago, Callmefish said:

Honestly, no idea. I don’t know what I’m talking about and I’m not going to even attempt to act like I know what I’m talking about. 

for the salmon river (douglaston salmon run specifically, 2 miles of the salmon river) I’d be using it to drift egg sacks in current for salmon/trout/steelhead.

but that location is about a 4 hour drive, and I couldn’t justify the expense for maybe a trip per year If I was lucky enough to go that often.

now if I could use a centerpin setup for weighted leaders and floats in other areas closer to me for the off season. Then I’d probably get a setup going.

Appreciate your openness. I have watched videos of guys trotting floats on rivers with tree lined banks that made fly fishing from shore impossible.

Where it is allowed to trot a fly under a float is a skill full and fun way to fish.

The leader or line from the bottom of the float to the fly or bait will be either mono or flouro carbon. To make the float cock you pinch on split shot to the leader. In deep fast flows you pinch it on say 18 inches from the hook in a chain. Also known as bulking your shot rather than spreading them out equally over the leader

If that’s the way you want to fish hopefully you an find a river where it is allowed. If not it’s fly or bust.

Good luck.

Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Callmefish said:

Ahh you must be from around NY. I got a lodge on the douglaston salmon run last season. Watching the centerpin guys out there was pretty impressive. 

Yes, I am. There are other sections of the river  equally as good as the DSR, and no pay. You do have to learn the river a bit, so little time is a detriment.  

Centerpinning works on larger rivers , though I did see some guy catch bluefish on one in a breachway in Rhode Island.  You could fish bait  or a jig beneath a float for stripers. A  spinning rig would do just as well in most situations, as the point of the  float going drag free relates more to trout.  

Edited by bloosfisher

23 hours ago, Callmefish said:

Back when I was growing up in Michigan i remember running straight mono on a fly rod with some weight with or with out a float and drifting egg flies, spawn sacks, live bait, or flys. It worked pretty good. While it is nowhere near as elegant as centerpinning and much less effective it was better than nymphing with a fly line. This tactic is probably considered "redneck" now. If it is legal where you fish might be worth a try.

There has probably been a day where a flyrodder has landed more fish than a centerpinner but I havent seen it. 

On 24/01/2021 at 2:27 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Brian

You can use a Pin for trolling / mooching but they have much finer attributes to that we can take advantage from. The main one is float fishing either eggs or worms or flies and even jigs. In a decent flow a good Pin Fisherman can exercise unbelievable  control of the float as it travels down current. If you have river that is treed up on both banks if a shore based Angler it could be the only game in town other than  the evils of spinning. Some of the very best Pins come from England. Think about $500 plus for a free flowing pin.

Typically over here we use a 13 foot float rod or in very heavy flows an 11 foot Avon rod.

Mikey

That cracked me up :point:

On 24/01/2021 at 2:35 PM, Mike Oliver said:

You need to check the Salmon river regs. That should be easy enough.

If it is a fly only zone then unless you are fly fishing as it is understood conventionally then I think you are on a sticky wicket if you use a pin with either a float fishing a fly or lead and fly.

A std fly reel is still a centre pin but no good for Pin fishing.

I can’t think of any legitimate reason to use a centre pin together with a weighted line in a fly only zone. It would be a waste of a fine instrument. 

lead and fly you can do God forbid with any old reel. But it’s not fishing it’s snagging. It is a million miles away from fly fishing.

If you don’t understand what fly fishing is then you owe it to yourself to buy a book on the subject. Just by having a center pin and some kind of weighed line on it definitely does not qualify as fly fishing. Far far from it.

Mike

I agree. Definitely bad form. Cheers

On 1/24/2021 at 1:39 PM, Callmefish said:

Thinking about getting into centerpin fishing for the salmon river in new york.

My question: if your fishing a centerpin with weighted line is that still considered a fly rod?

there are alot of water systems around me that are fly rod only, would a centrrpin satisfy that requirement?

i don’t really know how to ask this question considering I don’t even have a setup yet. 

thanks for the input

Just read the Salmon River NY Tackle regulations no mention Rods only terminal Tackle and Flies.  In Alaska a lot of Waters are fly fishing Only that is the use of a Fly be it on any Rod.  Most common fly for Sockeye is a plain buck tail like the photo less the eye once in fresh water they do not bite. there is a trick to it some call it the Kenai Flip

5d47ef4d72b0c9237e000dfc-large.jpg

15 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Just read the Salmon River NY Tackle regulations no mention Rods only terminal Tackle and Flies.  In Alaska a lot of Waters are fly fishing Only that is the use of a Fly be it on any Rod.  Most common fly for Sockeye is a plain buck tail like the photo less the eye once in fresh water they do not bite. there is a trick to it some call it the Kenai Flip

5d47ef4d72b0c9237e000dfc-large.jpg

It’s specific to the douglaton salmon run, which is lodge/resort on the salmon river. They own all property surrounding a 2-mile section of the river, and (since the owner is a retired politician) the ground Underneath the watershed also. They make thier own rules.

23 hours ago, snapper1 said:

That cracked me up :point:

I agree. Definitely bad form. Cheers

Not exactly sure why my form was bad for asking about something I have never done before. Not like I bought a whole bunch of stuff and was fishing this way before I made the post. You sound smug.

Not exactly sure why my form was bad for asking about something I have never done before. Not like I bought a whole bunch of stuff and was fishing this way before I made the post. You sound smug.

Relax bro. You are too tensed.

My sarcasm was aimed at our English friend.

Good luck with your fishing adventures.

Edited by snapper1

Snapper

You are bloody funny like ZA.

You are both clued up about us Pomms. We absolutely don’t mind the Michael being taken out of us.

Hell the world brakes our balls. We asked for it.

cheers

Mike

17 hours ago, Callmefish said:

It’s specific to the douglaton salmon run, which is lodge/resort on the salmon river. They own all property surrounding a 2-mile section of the river, and (since the owner is a retired politician) the ground Underneath the watershed also. They make thier own rules.

NY should be like other states with what is called Navigable Waters you can own the land but not the water.  

( YORK as Common Law ) 

Edited by Cheeckakoe

34 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:

NY should be like other states with what is called Navigable Waters you can own the land but not the water.  

( YORK as Common Law ) 

Yeah thats the loophole, you can drift a boat through but if you anchor up, your officially trespassing. It’s ridiculous 

Yeah thats the loophole, you can drift a boat through but if you anchor up, your officially trespassing. It’s ridiculous 

Years ago I and a few other Kayakers Launched and went thru a very exclusive stretch of river in Warren County NJ just to prove a the point we had the right to do it. it led to a Sh** Show  with the State Police showing up but after they confirmed we were right like 10 min. The Club did not take it very well, Our next visit they had put Barbed Wire across up Stream. Our call to NJSP ended up with them with a Court Date and Us a No Show no harm. it was a time many rivers tried the Private BS, Some to this day still try but those in the know just ignore it.     

Edited by Cheeckakoe